Alien Minimap

OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
Something has always bothered me about aliens HUD vs marines HUD.

Marines have a minimap on their HUD are are able to open up the map with "c" to see the entire map with slightly more detail.
Aliens don't have a minimap but they still have the large map accessible by pressing "c".

I understand this is because aliens are supposed to rely more on "Hive Sight" because its assymetrical and more "organic".
I understand that being marines, you have the technological advantage of increased map awareness via the minimap but aliens can do the same thing with the large map, albeit the large map obscures vision.
I know that the "c" map needs to be in the game for aliens and marines alike for those who don't know the map as well as they would like, but what is the point of aliens not having a minimap-like function if they already have a full map?

I'm not suggesting that aliens have a minimap or that marines have their minimap removed.
I'm just wondering if theres a way to somehow streamline this?
Its not a big issue, or even a minor one, its just something that has annoyed me a bit. (Especially when walking into a marine because you're travelling across the map with you "c" map open.)

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's mainly a flavor thing. I think the main problem is that hive sight is so nerfed in NS2, there's hardly anything you can actually see on your screen anymore which was the justification for it in NS1.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Zek wrote: »
    It's mainly a flavor thing. I think the main problem is that hive sight is so nerfed in NS2, there's hardly anything you can actually see on your screen anymore which was the justification for it in NS1.

I remember using Hive Sight in NS1, mainly in combat situations and for tracking enemies. I think it behaves in the same way in NS2 but just something about it is lacking. I can't place my finger on it though.
    I wish I could parasite structures and see them on Hive Sight.
    I think we would see more structure sniping if that were the case.

How has Hive Sight been nerfed? It feels lacking but I don't know what exactly is nerfed about it.

• RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only problem I have with this is that the marine minimap sometimes reveals hiding skulks even when the marine doesn't actually see the skulk himself. Happens pretty often when there are skulks hiding in the roof.
    Rautapalli wrote: »
    The only problem I have with this is that the marine minimap sometimes reveals hiding skulks even when the marine doesn't actually see the skulk himself. Happens pretty often when there are skulks hiding in the roof.

I've noticed this aswell, can be a little frustrating when you're hiding on the ceiling of warehouse and a marnie starts spamming pistol shots into the ceiling in your general direction, without knowing your exact location.

Are you revealed on the minimap if your hitbox is visible within a marine's cone of vision? Or is there a circular area around a marine that reveals aliens within that area? (excluding walls)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Ohnojojo wrote: »

I remember using Hive Sight in NS1, mainly in combat situations and for tracking enemies. I think it behaves in the same way in NS2 but just something about it is lacking. I can't place my finger on it though.

How has Hive Sight been nerfed? It feels lacking but I don't know what exactly is nerfed about it.

It's just missing a ton of stuff. Off the top of my head:

- Parasite used to be vastly better - was permanent until death, visible from very far away and could be applied to structures
    - Hives were visible at all times(and some structures I think?)
    - Friendly players were visible at all times
    - Structures and players under attack would appear on hive sight with an alert

For all intents and purposes, aliens in NS2 no longer have hivesight. All they have is ghetto parasite and visibility of recently damaged marines. Now if you want any of the above, all you have is the full screen minimap.
    I wonder what the justification was for making parasite the way it is now. I miss perma-para and structure parasites. I mean they should at least get a damage boost to make up for the nerf. Like 15 damage or possibly 20. Its costs so much adrenaline its not like it could erally be used as a weapon...
    Although I could only imagine like a strike-squad of cloaking skulks... parasiting marines to death from the ceiling of The Gap. Hilarious..
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    If you're not using them as a weapon early game then you're doing it wrong. You can kill a armor lvl0 marine with only two bites and one parasite.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members

- Parasite used to be vastly better - was permanent until death, visible from very far away and could be applied to structures

For all intents and purposes, aliens in NS2 no longer have hivesight. All they have is ghetto parasite and visibility of recently damaged marines. Now if you want any of the above, all you have is the full screen minimap.

You can see nearby friendlies with hivesight.

I think you're limited to about 20-25 meters.
    The viewing distance of friendlies, and marines under the effect of parasite could do with an increase.
    If you're not using them as a weapon early game then you're doing it wrong. You can kill a armor lvl0 marine with only two bites and one parasite.

Of course! I para 10-20 feet before engaging, hoping for a 2 bite kill. Para kills are fun but too risky.
    Speaking of which, is it my imagination or is para hit detection much more unforgiving than it used to be?
    I feel like its gotten a little better. It used to be horrendous.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013

Of course! I para 10-20 feet before engaging, hoping for a 2 bite kill. Para kills are fun but too risky.

You shouldn't go in alone, ever. Unless you are facing off against one, maybe two, marines. Or if you know you are the better player, which is hard to gauge :P . So indeed a parasite on the marine can help your buddies closer to the marine. Also the para+2 bites has always been very viable in any case, throughout NS/NS2 history...

About an "alien minimap", I'd say the marines are already a lot more visible then aliens. Alien vision highlights them and when they engage combat or are parasited, they become visible through walls. Not even mentioning you know their orientation because of the outline, compared to a simple sprite in NS. There is no need for a minimap (it would look silly as well).

I do agree that the Hive sight needs to get some of its old toys back. And I want parasite going back to its NS roots, able to tag structures and marines. It should also be permanent, however I'm open for it being removed by a medpack (1 res for 1 parasite), like it used to be in NS2 alpha/beta
  • Reyn89Reyn89 Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153985Members
    Speaking of which, is it my imagination or is para hit detection much more unforgiving than it used to be?

Agreed, sometimes it's a right pain to hit with parasite.

Yeh exactly. Structures under attack on hivesight was a great feature in NS1, particularly helpful for showing RTs under attack. Now you have to open your map and look carefully for the small flashing RT. It would get players in pubs to recognise their importance more too.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Para has always been the same difficulty to hit, even in ns1.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members

I've noticed this aswell, can be a little frustrating when you're hiding on the ceiling of warehouse and a marnie starts spamming pistol shots into the ceiling in your general direction, without knowing your exact location.

Are you revealed on the minimap if your hitbox is visible within a marine's cone of vision? Or is there a circular area around a marine that reveals aliens within that area? (excluding walls)

I believe it works if there is line of sight from the marines model to the aliens model. I have successfully hidden as a Skulk while having "eyes on" a marine, so that might not be exactly right - but it feels pretty close in my experiance
  • Reyn89Reyn89 Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153985Members
    Desther wrote: »

Is that definitely true? Certainly seems more difficult to me, and I played a lot of NS1.

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Part of the reason marines have a minimap is 360 awareness. Scans and other marines cam spot targets behind you that then show up in the minimap. Aiding navigation is mostly a bonus feature imo. You could skip drawing the map and just have it draw threats nearby that scans/people spot (think halo radar without motion tracking) and it would still be very effective.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Parasite should only be removable by repowering the marine's armor (i.e. Armory, Welder, MAC), as it was suggested somewhere else already. Removing it with medpack spam would be too easy since that is something that occurs almost automatically.

I think the current reasoning behind it for not tagging structures is that "a parasite can only work on an organic target", as indicated by it's DamageType, which is why it also doesn't work on Exos. I'd drop realism for gameplay here, though.
  • kombinekombine Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164671Members
    +1 to everything here.
    I remember playing NS1 and being able to look around at a room, and see which, and where the hives were, any allies, and any parasited enemies.
    Now I can barely see a parasited marine one room over, all he has to do is walk 30 feet away from me and I lose vision of him despite being parasited.
    Seems pretty useless minus the capability for early game 1para2bite kills.I don't even really bother parasiting late game at all, it just seems a waste of energy that could of gone into leap.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited February 2013
    Reyn89 wrote: »

Is that definitely true? Certainly seems more difficult to me, and I played a lot of NS1.

It feels the same to me, a hitscan bullet. Maybe NS2 has more accurate hitboxes and that makes it harder.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    No, it's completely false. Parasite used to be based on a huge enclosing hitbox. Note that in NS2, you can shoot between the legs and miss. This is why if the animation shown is different than what the server is thinking (see previous reported bugs), it screws up hit registration.

Reyn89 wrote: »

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    navigation is only an issue for noobs.

decent players are likely to bump into eachother both with their maps open, because they both wanted to check status of allies and get a feel of where the enemies could be situated etc.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ultranewb wrote: »
    No, it's completely false. Parasite used to be based on a huge enclosing hitbox. Note that in NS2, you can shoot between the legs and miss. This is why if the animation shown is different than what the server is thinking (see previous reported bugs), it screws up hit registration.

Man, I haven't seen per-pixel collision detection since Doom 3. Good stuff.

• YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    Maybe I'm giving away too much here, but I rarely use para as I don't see what the benefit is anymore. Yeah you can 1para2bites, but I would rather get the jump on a marine than announce to him or them that I'm nearby.

When para was permanent and had much more range, I would be able to para and leave because that marine knew that not only did I know where he was, so did my team, and that was more than enough to slow down a marine from rushing in and hitting my hive, or pushing for a res node.

On the topic of old hivesight, I liked it, but there was so much clutter on my screen. Maybe I forget since I havent played NS1 in years, but if the ability to see your team mates, and hives was only when you had the predator alien sight active, then that would be a little better than having to hit C.

In my opinion, I hate having the map available only because it feels so odd to stop every few minutes to reference the map, I know this might be asking for a lot, but I do wish there was a different way to see whats going on without having to pull up that map, but that's just a pet peeve.

Something fun that I wouldn't mind having, would be to have a physical map being pulled up, animation and everything. I'm a sucker for dumb little features like that, but I think that having to reference a map should be more dangerous, albeit not fun for newbies.