Steam must be running to play this game.

kombinekombine Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164671Members
As the title says, this is the issue I am encountering. It only happens after a fresh steam restart, i.e. I can play, then if I attempt to jump back into the fight, it will shoot that error at me. Otherwise the only solution I have to this 'minor' problem, is to restart steam, which is fine, just annoying.

Thus far I have verified integrity, which came back clean.
The steam process is running, as is the service.
I really hope not to reinstall as my local internet provider has recently starting to limit us on our download limit (LAME) and charge us if we go over, which this would be just another factor in my already tight budget of room.

I haven't seen anyone else in the forum beside a topic that was over two years old, and I wasn't sure if I should revive a necrothread or not so I just decided to start this.
This issue has only started maybe since 239 came out. Anyone else encountering this?

Comments

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sounds like an issue with steam rather than NS2.

May I suggest deleting all the steam files in your steam folder *except* the following:

(if you have the space I would suggest doing a backup first)
    - Steam.exe
    - Steamapps folder (contains your game files so don't delete!)
    - Userdata folder

Then restart steam and let it download the necessary files. If the cause of your issue is with one of the steam files then this should fix the issue.
  • kombinekombine Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164671Members
    This is severely outdated, but I did that, and actually it still does it, and even with other games! So that confirms it is indeed Steam. Thanks for the advice :P
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Re-install steam, worked for me when I was having that issue.
    Heh, I just reinstalled Windows just now. I'll update this in a bit after I run a few games and see how it acts.
    Late, but it doesn't do it anymore.