Is MrChoke finally going to stop complaining about balance?

MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
I played 25 games since "Gorgeous". Aliens have won 13 and marines 12, only 52%!!!! The first game on the patch marines won. Marines can win again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NS2Stats.org shows marines actually winning more than aliens but only at 54%!!! So to answer the question, YES, I am going to stop complaining about balance. This game is FIXED.

When I read the patch notes I had serious doubts. Part of the reason I did was balance changes DID get in there. "Squeal LIke a Pig" confirmed a bile bomb nerf that was never mentioned. Also, a HUGE thing that I swear was not in the patch notes is the tracers on projectiles. When Lerks and Gorges fire anything you get a line of sight to where they are. Its huge! Railguns are better than I thought too. This patch is nothing short of outstanding. Thank you UWE. I would have paid good money for this patch. I am going talk to all my friends now and say this game is fixed and see if I can get them to buy it.

Comments

• rakzrakz Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164315Members
    seriously? the change of skulk was terrible.
    math can help to see balance between teams, but for sure is not it what aprove a good change.
    marines can win before Oo.. just match against who know how to play.

I regret this slow skulk as a fast game i think ns2 was.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Numbers from a random pub server do not confirm balance in the least.

Balance is defined as if two teams of equal skill play eachother, both teams will win the same amount or have the defining factor be strategy. It also implies that if one faction wins all the early game wins and the other the late game wins than it is not balanced.

We say yesterday in the nsl tourney that marines are biased early, if aliens can get to fades/skulks without the marines having too much tech then its a good game.

The game isn't like other rts where ai units have set range, accuracy, movement speed, etc, so saying a game is balanced off of win rate from a pub server with probably stacked teams is like saying the titanic is unsinkable when all you did is test a 4 foot model.
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    LOL

So in essence, you just like playing marines. You were just whining cause you'd do poorly, because I've seen probably a 70-80% marine win ratio thus far. I can just fire my pistol down a hall and it somehow hits a skulk I'm not aiming at, if you think the game is now balanced you see things through a colored lens.

Balance in this game is way off, the only thing you could make a point for balance IMO would be win %'s, which in no way equates to actual balance. But it's ok, it's still sorta fun regardless, hopefully they can figure out a way to stop obsessing over win rates and statistics and percentages and just use their brains (which spawned the entire game, why not rely on it for balance too?)
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Is this since patch or in aggregate?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    zolja wrote: »

The total number of NS2 games played since launch is fast approaching 1,000,000.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    zolja wrote: »

The total number of NS2 games played since launch is fast approaching 1,000,000.

You need to give out a prize. Seriously. No, I mean it. Give out a prize to the players in the millionth game since launch.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Out of over 20K games recorded-
    Aliens: 49.12%
    Marines: 50.88%

Games under 15 minutes of length:
    Aliens: 3766 wins
    Marines: 4384

Why can't I awesome this post more than once?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You need to give out a prize. Seriously. No, I mean it. Give out a prize to the players in the millionth game since launch.

Give the winning team a million res nodes.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited March 2013

or 45% - 55% marines way for games under 15 minutes.
    Just seems a shame that alien and most noticeably the skulks game play has to feel so terrible to achieve this.

I am sorry but I should not have marines able to out position me once I am in biting range and have landed blows.
    The acceleration on direction changes that marines have is silly compared to how sluggish aliens are.

Sure is nice to have 50 - 50 win rates...just a shame that the kill death column on aliens is barley breaking even...even in games their winning.
    Marines is great fun to play....skulks not ater about 4-5 min of game time...just a shame you have to respawn as one when you die.

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    edited March 2013

Where can I find these stats?

There were many more marine than alien wins last night in the comp scene

• ManwichManwich Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182715Members

Where can I find these stats?

There were many more marine than alien wins last night in the comp scene

He's an NS2 Developer - I think you can rely on his stats.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They need to fix the skulk bug first to be honest, then see what that gives. From my own experience I can say that it does seem like marines are winning more games, though with the amount of new players coming in I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was a simple result of inexperienced alien teams.

This is exactly what happened when NS 2 first released, the win rates were heavily skewed since beta, then went back to 50/50 more or less upon release and then several weeks down the line it just settled at 60/40 again.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Seeing as how vital early skulkvsmarine play is, I too would like to see the skulk bug fixed first, and then see how balance is.

To be honest, I've seen a lot of fun games lately, that last longer overall and seem to be more evenly balanced. Don't know if that's because of the changes, or because of the new players, or just coincidence, but it in any case it's looking better than before. So I'm fairly optimistic.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow

If that is overall, that surprises me. But then again, I didn't play right at the start of launch. I started maybe 3 weeks later. Anyway, if you could take stats of only build 240 games, I wonder how balanced it is. For the little its worth, personally, I have played 35 games, marines have won 19, this is 54% marines. With build 238/239, I finish like 71 games (before I stopped playing) and my ratio was 74% aliens. Yeah, I am much happier now.