FPS Issues...

DeltaXQDeltaXQ Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183521Members
Before Gorgeous, I got FPS of 60+
Now I get below 20... -_-
HELP

Comments

• ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    1st minute = instead of around 85 fps = 55 ... 2nd minute drops to 40 fps 8 minutes possibly dropps below 30 performance issues like there it was in build 238

docking - spawns @ cafe and aliens in locker = 1st minute ~35 to 45 fps
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    We cannot help you if you dont give us any info about your system specs.
  • DeltaXQDeltaXQ Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183521Members
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
  • FunkyMikeFunkyMike Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167455Members
    I also have a pretty mean FPS drop. I used to average at around 40~ and now I am somewhere around 25.

Intel HD 3000
    ATI 6850m
    i7 2630QM

I have also noticed that setting NS2.exe into higher priority doesn't yield any difference anymore. (I used to get a huge/justifiable boost)

Could something in the code have changed that forces the CPU to not be optimized like it was prior to the last few patches?
    edited March 2013
    Dunno but I hope they get this sorted as I am forced to play on lowest settings for it to be even half playable.
    Nice to know I am not the only one though.
  • DurakDurak Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183576Members
    I've noticed a HUGE different in FPS post-patch when going from fullscreen windowed to fullscreen. They used to be comparable before Gorgeous but now it's like 30 FPS vs 120. Further, even with vsync disabled, I get capped at 60 FPS in fullscreen windowed now. Must be bugs.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Durak wrote: »
    I've noticed a HUGE different in FPS post-patch when going from fullscreen windowed to fullscreen. They used to be comparable before Gorgeous but now it's like 30 FPS vs 120. Further, even with vsync disabled, I get capped at 60 FPS in fullscreen windowed now. Must be bugs.
    Theres a bug that limits fullscreen windowed mode to 60fps. Workaround is to use fullscreen or a program like shiftwindow till a hotfix can be released.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Durak wrote: »
    Theres a bug that limits fullscreen windowed mode to 60fps. Workaround is to use fullscreen or a program like shiftwindow till a hotfix can be released.

I noticed this today, as I always play in fullscreen windowed.
    driver settings will do 0. At the moment, windowed will default to the refresh rate, windows states is on the monitor. (Id strongly advice not to mess with that, people)
    But this is max fps.. minimum fps should be unchanged.

Best way to test is in training mode, i would say folk. Its quick to load, and has plenty res for us to spam stuff to see what happens.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Any mode but fullscreen mode will cap your fps to 60.
    Unsure of whether or not this mimics vsync in that if 60 cannot be obtained, drop to 30.
    Looking into this.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I can spare you the effort.
    if 60 can not be maintained, it does not trash down to 30.. thankfully.
    I had it dip to 50ish on matches. I only play fullscreen windowed, so I had ample time to test.
    If any logs are needed dxdiag or a game log please let us know on what we should do. Very hard to play right now.

The general performance even in the lobby has dropped for me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Type p_logall in the console when you want to capture low fps scenarios.
    Then you will find that log in your hidden appdata/natural selection 2 folder. Please zip it and link here or email me it with your forum user name.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Are you both using laptops with an intel gpu + another one(nvidia, amd)?
    Can you post your log file? At the top of it, it will show what gpu is used. I had a problem once where ns2 was using my integrated gpu instead of the nvidia one, which made the game a lot slower.
    You can quickly check this by looking at the console (~ key) when you load up the game and are sitting at the main menu. It says "render device: (should be your nvidia card here)"
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Can you post your log file? At the top of it, it will show what gpu is used. I had a problem once where ns2 was using my integrated gpu instead of the nvidia one, which made the game a lot slower.

This was the problem ^^
    Thanks.

• MoshMosh Join Date: 2012-07-25 Member: 154355Members
    Having similar issue, ~60 FPS pre/~1-20 post:

Intel i7 950 @3.7GHz
    nVidia GTX 670
    14GB DDR3 Memory
    Win 7 64bit

Change various graphic setting, reinstalled, etc. I can give logs if needed although I doubt its an issue on my end.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    i usually get ~110 fps but do notice sometimes it seems locked at 20-30fps. so i open evga precision and low and behold, the program i use to put my 850mhz gtx 560 at 950mhz, is showing it stuck at 50-400mhz which it does when it overheats. restart pc and its back to normal.
    Asraniel wrote: »

IronHorse wrote: »
    You can quickly check this by looking at the console (~ key) when you load up the game and are sitting at the main menu. It says "render device: (should be your nvidia card here)"

My performance increased dramatically prior to official release. Got a little worse after that and much playable until the recent update.

It does mention that I am using my Radeon card and it does not switch to the Intel when starting.

What Rich_ mentioned is interesting. Sometimes I get locked to these exact 20-30fps and it is definitely my Radeon.

Now I have started 2 games with logs and for some reason I cannot reproduce the 20-30fps at the moment.

However I have send you the logfiles from my last game IronHorse. Hope they are generally helpful. There are some interesting slow downs within game where I drop from 40~ to around 15.

• DurakDurak Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183576Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Any mode but fullscreen mode will cap your fps to 60.
    Unsure of whether or not this mimics vsync in that if 60 cannot be obtained, drop to 30.
    Looking into this.

Is this going to be fixed? I could handle 100+ FPS in fullscreen window pre-patch. When I play fullscreen and minimize, my game usually crashes, so I'd prefer to play windowed. (Although I guess fixing the crash might be useful as well except I don't know how to report it ^_^)

edited March 2013
    Please continue trying to reproduce it / capture it.
    Also when it occurs definitely take a picture with net_stats and r_stats enabled to quickly rule out something there.
    And i got your email, but i do wish to wait to see the captured log first.
    Also are you aware of how to use the profile command?
    Thanks!

edit: getting locked at 20-30 fps would be vsync behavior.. do any of you have that enabled in your options?
    Will continue to look out for the error.

Could you give us a quick walkthrough for the profile command?
    I have never used it before but it could be quite fun. ;D