Upcoming NS2 Events - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpcoming NS2 Events - Natural Selection 2

Gorgeous is out in the wild being Gorgeous. So now, we can sit back and do nothing! Kidding of course, there are two massive events coming up for the NS2 community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to get comment thread to show up
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I predict that Hugh will dress up in costume for PAX.

Will it be a marine costume, or full-frontal Hughnicorn? Only time will tell.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Marine hughnicorn.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I predict that Hugh will dress up in costume for PAX.

Will it be a marine costume, or full-frontal Hughnicorn? Only time will tell.

And a famous guest appearance: GABE NEWELL bellysliding around the place dressed as a gorge to present gorge plushies.

Will be awesome!

• BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    come back to pax in 2014 :D !
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Obviously they designed a special edition of a NS2-based tabletop RPG using the D&D rule set and will have an epic adventure on stage, featuring WasabiOne in his role as Gorge Harris, Charlie as hyperactively flapping Lerk on LSD, Hugh as marine in pink armor with a papier-mâché horn attached, and Brian (whichever of the two is available) as bearded Onos with monocle and top hat. And starring Kouji-san with his awesome accent as the Dungeon Facility Master.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    cool event, but instead of pumping all the money into marketing, how about fixing the game? (hitreg, server- and clientside fps)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    NSL Invitational photo says Past Mar 12 Friday | Future Apr 13 Saturday. (I think you meant April, not March).
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ha, that's totally me in the brown coat at 19:37 in the PAX Prime video.

Speaking of, are you guys going to be doing something at Prime this year too? I won't be at East, don't want to miss out on all the fun. ;)
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    My guess would be that there will be specially made servers for PAX attendees to join, as well as a free weekend for all Steam users. Anybody will be able to join the PAX servers and play with the convention-goers, so they'll have a pretty authentic NS2 experience, and try out the game with thousands of other new players. There will probably be some hand picked playtesters that will administrate the servers and help fill out the veteran role for newbies amongst other duties.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited March 2013
    derWalter wrote: »
    cool event, but instead of pumping all the money into marketing, how about fixing the game? (hitreg, server- and clientside fps)

The problem with that suggestion is that this game is developed by a small company with its own unique engine. NS2 has had a total development contribution of maybe 20 people, and from there maybe only a few people can actually implement fixes and optimizations.

The two options we have to get your suggestions on the fast track is to either work harder or to hire new programmers. Adding money onto a paycheck can be motivating, but I highly doubt that the current staff can be any more motivated than they already are, considering their rather ambitious development schedule, and also considering how they're mostly original members who implemented the entire thing in the first place.

Adding new staff would work... eventually. But since only a few people know how to actually program and use the engine, the only way to get new people trained would be to cut development time and costs for a good while. Let's say there are two people who mission-critical for engine development.

If you take one person away to help train, you'd be pushing projected deadlines rather far up the timeline. If you take both people away to help train, you'd just halt development anyway until the training is done.

My point being that right now, UWE can only spend so much much to help things along, since money isn't the issue. Their biggest limitation right now is manpower and time, not money.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members

Oh yeah. That UWE hey. Always blowing all their cash on advertising.

I just got my hair cut super short specifically for something (not the super duper party surprise) happening at PAX, to be revealed ~monday.

This is how much I love you all, ruining my chances with the ladies even more, for the good of NS2.

Except you, @derwalter. Your post rustled my jimmies. Consider the hair cut not for you.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    I just got my hair cut super short specifically for something (not the super duper party surprise) happening at PAX, to be revealed ~monday.

This is how much I love you all, ruining my chances with the ladies even more, for the good of NS2.

Maybe the ladies will confuse you for the Dutch singer Milow and your chances raise.

We demand pics in any case.

Except you, @derwalter. Your post rustled my jimmies. Consider the hair cut not for you.

You should grow your hair out.

Bitches love long hair.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    teaser shot for Hugh's unicornform
    4YKIRtv.jpg
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter

+1 jups - was playing 241 for exactly 2 minutes didnt spent more playtime into it - i'll come back to the game as soon as i can read hitreg/netcode and fps has been fixed to a level what people are expecting from a competitive game.
  • MatchbookMatchbook Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 169955Members
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Who do I have to service sexually for one of the ns2 t-shirts that will be (handed out?) at PAX? Large size :-P ...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Who do I have to service sexually for one of the ns2 t-shirts that will be (handed out?) at PAX? Large size :-P ...
    That would be Hugh. If you're looking for him he'll be the one wearing this outfit:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5lzF8NCMAAw5yD.jpg

Never gets old.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    What if I can't go to PAX because it's like SO far away from me and I have no transportation or time? :-<

(I'm still in the US though)

Are they going to be in the store or something?
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Now that I qualified for ISHA regionals, I will be at PAX East this year on Friday and Sunday. Saturday is now out of the question due to the Horse Show. Don't be surprise if you see someone in britches and tall boots. I might have to break the custom tall boots in the Friday of PAX East depending on when they get shipped.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Sp3cia1 wrote: »
    Now that I qualified for ISHA regionals, I will be at PAX East this year on Friday and Sunday. Saturday is now out of the question due to the Horse Show. Don't be surprise if you see someone in britches and tall boots. I might have to break the custom tall boots in the Friday of PAX East depending on when they get shipped.
    Your steed will already be there waiting :)
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well Monday's lesson didn't end the way I want it to end. I fell off the horse and ended up chipping a bone in my ankle. I pretty much too far forward on in 2-point position and the horse decide to go left when I pushing him into the corner to the right and I fell off. Good news is there is still a chance I can ride this Saturday if I can put my full weight down on the foot and wear the air cast while I ride. I am currently in air cast with crutches.

Getting around PAX East is going to be another story