Arc LoS Indicator while undeployed. Toggleable?

mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I'm unsure of where I can place my arcs since there isn't a visible range indicator of any kind as far as I'm aware. I generally place them as close as I can to guarantee a hit rather than wasting valuable time, however I know a few areas where I can place arcs and shoot through walls, but it would be nice to know if there's a way to use them efficiently? I don't really want to load up a test map and put arcs in various areas to test where I can shoot from, etc.

moved to I&S - Kouji San

Edit: Changed thread into a suggestion thread since there is no known method to judge arc range precisely.

Suggestion:

Add toggle to display arc's visual radius, or just make it so that it is always on. However some players may consider it visual clutter, so making it toggleable via a keypress would possibly be ideal. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Currently you have to deploy them to see the range indicator. I'd like to see this changed to also show up when selecting an undeployed ARC, so you can place them more precisely.

The locations where to place them in relations to the Hives are usually quite obvious though. The maps have been designed to have hallways which wrap around the Hives to be able to place them within range. Apart from Central Drilling on Mineshaft, which is an oddball to the rule :P
  • mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
    edited March 2013
    Ok. just checked. Deployed them and I see a visual indicator, but it's not really helping because the whole point of the visual indicator is to let me know the range, but once I've deployed them and scanned I already know what I'm hitting it out of range :P.

It's kind of a waste of time to deploy then check to see the range of your arc. It would more be more useful to the commander if it showed it pre-deployment. Perhaps as a hotkey/key toggle?

EDIT: Ok. the indicator is not available UNLESS it is within range of hitting something. In other words, you cannot see the visual indicator until you've at least reached maximum distance required to hit the target (while deployed). Isn't that a bit inconvenient?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    As I said, I'd love to see this range indicator on selection regardless of deployed state. In any case, I do believe both the Commander and Hive Mind interface need work. They feel incomplete still.

But yeah, knowing where to place them is kinda part of learning the maps as well ;)
    edited March 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    As I said, I'd love to see this range indicator on selection regardless of deployed state. In any case, I do believe both the Commander and Hive Mind interface need work. They feel incomplete still.

But yeah, knowing where to place them is kinda part of learning the maps as well ;)

Oh, but of course. I prefer to learn while playing the game, rather than in a test environment though. For now I just guess about where the visual indicator would be.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mibuwolf wrote: »

Oh, but of course. I prefer to learn while playing the game, rather than in a test environment though. For now I just guess about where the visual indicator would be.

How do pitchers in baseball know where the strikezone is?
    How do golfers know where their ball is going to land?

Just asking.
    eliotmat wrote: »

How do pitchers in baseball know where the strikezone is?
    How do golfers know where their ball is going to land?

Just asking.

Drills are something you do in real life to get good. Doesn't really apply to gaming unless you REALLY want to be competitive. So, how is that question relevant? Just asking.

• eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My point is you need to practice to be good at anything. Yes, it applies to gaming too.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Dota 2 has the range on skills shown if you hover over the icon. Of course it’s not NEEDED, but it’s always a nice touch, and is not game breaking or requiring massive amounts of work.
    edited March 2013
    My point is you need to practice to be good at anything. Yes, it applies to gaming too.

Practice does not imply that I need to run testing servers to learn. Nor do I imply that I do not need to play the game to get better. Also, what does that have to do with my original problem which was how far the arcs can hit?

I didn't even know there was a indicator of any kind.
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Dota 2 has the range on skills shown if you hover over the icon. Of course it’s not NEEDED, but it’s always a nice touch, and is not game breaking or requiring massive amounts of work.
    To be honest, I'd rather just see the range of all the arcs with a key to toggle on/off.

• draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Range indicators on game only make sense, they don't make you learn what sentry range is... what kind of analogy was that? Try harder if you want to tell someone how to learn to play, cause that didn't even make sense.

Practice does not imply that I need to run testing servers to learn. Nor do I imply that I do not need to play the game to get better. Also, what does that have to do with my original problem which was how far the arcs can hit?

If you can't figure out the range of arcs after a few attempts at using arcs on a live server then I guess your only hope is that the developers scrap some other enhancement to add an arc range indicator for you.

Is most aspects of life, it's the practice with any given tool that will help you understand the limitations of that tool.
    edited March 2013

If you can't figure out the range of arcs after a few attempts at using arcs on a live server then I guess your only hope is that the developers scrap some other enhancement to add an arc range indicator for you.

Is most aspects of life, it's the practice with any given tool that will help you understand the limitations of that tool.

No... I understand what you are getting at, but let me put it this way: Is this a feature that would give the user a piece of useful information to use vital to strategy? If the answer is yes, then maybe it should be implemented for the good of all marine commanders; new or otherwise. Also, game design sort of relies on this sort of feedback to see if there are areas they maybe neglected. This may be one of those areas. It's as if you would suggest that other visual indicators shouldn't be available to marines as well, such as:

The commander shouldn't be able to see marine hp. The marine commander should be able to just be able to tell if the marine has been bitten 1-2 times then he needs an hp pack. Ammo indicator? Pffft. Marines don't need ammo indicator. In real life you judge your ammo by checking your magazine.

Point is. There are many things that can be useful to the player. Arc range indicator may be one of them. Practice isn't entirely mandatory.

If you can't see the point I am making, then I guess we'd have to agree to disagree buddy.

..It's as if you would suggest that other visual indicators shouldn't be available to marines as well, such as:

The commander shouldn't be able to see marine hp. The marine commander should be able to just be able to tell if the marine has been bitten 1-2 times then he needs an hp pack. Ammo indicator? Pffft. Marines don't need ammo indicator. In real life you judge your ammo by checking your magazine.

Point is. There are many things that can be useful to the player. Arc range indicator may be one of them. Practice isn't entirely mandatory.

If you can't see the point I am making, then I guess we'd have to agree to disagree buddy.

That's not what I'm suggesting at all. Re-read my posts.

You can certainly learn arc range after one or two games as commander. There is visual feedback that your attacks are hitting structures. So, you can estimate distance from your deployed arc to impact area.

You can't practice knowing player damage because there are too many marines to track at any given time and the commander can't tell when a skulk bite actually lands on a marine without the visual indicator.

..It's as if you would suggest that other visual indicators shouldn't be available to marines as well, such as:

That's not what I'm suggesting at all. Re-read my posts.

You can certainly learn arc range after one or two games as commander. There is visual feedback that your attacks are hitting structures. So, you can estimate distance from your deployed arc to impact area.

You can't practice knowing player damage because there are too many marines to track at any given time and the commander can't tell when a skulk bite actually lands on a marine without the visual indicator.

I've played over 20 games as marine commander, but I still don't use arcs in every game. When I do however, I have trouble knowing the exact range of their LoS. I can surely estimate it, but every inch counts to whether or not I'll hit the hive.

As for the biting thing: I hear audio queues when my marines are bit. I dunno about you but I can usually tell when they are hit. I obviously missed your point if I haven't answered it already. I continue practicing as marine commander as pubs but what I say is still valid unless you are going to argue that such info is not important. I'm arguing that it is. I did however make the topic in hopes that maybe there was some super secret thing I wasn't aware of about arcs because so far I just... guess. Guesswork in my opinion does not fit in a strategy video game.

It's as if I'm playing scorched earth or some other tanks based game :P
    I agree though that a visual indicator may be helpful for a Marine commander. However, this does not exist today. So you need to practice with arcs to become more effective when it comes to deploying them.

Good luck to you with your arcing.
    I agree though that a visual indicator may be helpful for a Marine commander. However, this does not exist today. So you need to practice with arcs to become more effective when it comes to deploying them.

Good luck to you with your arcing.

I'm aware. Thanks.