Performance Problems

houseshowhouseshow Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110956Members
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
Hello all, at first i have to say that i browsed several Threads to find out whats the problem but nothing worked.

Since some Time (short after the gorge Update) i got some Performance Problems, i just noticed that my Graphic Card (GTX 470 OC) got some Errors, so i did buy a new one (7850 OC). But this upgrade made the things worster then before. Now i got less fps then before and it also dont feels like the fps which r shown in the r_stats menu. In Combat i often got the feeling to have like 5 FPS and some 0,x seconds lags. I recorded a demo but i have to say that it looks smoother when i watch it then as it did when i recorded it. So maybe this wont show you what i actually mean, in addition i did a log.

I realy cant understand why this game runs so bad on my PC. And that it does run bader with a better Graphic Card.
My system is the following:

Mainboard: AS Rock P55 Extreme
CPU: Intel i5 - 760 (4x2,8ghz | 8mb L3 cache)
RAM: G-Skill 2x4 GB DDR3 1600
GPU: Gigabyte 7850 OC (2GB)

Unfortunatly the Attach a file function didnt work, so i uploaded the files to Mega. Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!UlwQBBYA!cc07hlKTBl2s61KhOLiwclSos0VbZXBmpP3x4h7HkXA

It would be very nice if someone can help me, and it would be cool if a dev could look into this.

Comments

• FunkyMikeFunkyMike Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167455Members
    Have you tried cleaning all the old Nvidia drivers from your system? maybe with something like Driver Sweep or whatever is being used these days? Reinstalling the drivers might help.
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    FunkyMike wrote: »
    Have you tried cleaning all the old Nvidia drivers from your system? maybe with something like Driver Sweep or whatever is being used these days? Reinstalling the drivers might help.

The option for a clean driver install is present with the package these days.
  • houseshowhouseshow Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110956Members

Did try to do that with a Tool, pretty outdated one. In Addition i resetet my BIOS, this seemed to help a litle bit at least, runs a bit better now. I think i will reinstall Windows tomorrow, maybe this does the rest. Ill report!

• FunkyMikeFunkyMike Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167455Members
    Curve wrote: »

The option for a clean driver install is present with the package these days.

Depends .. he is going from Nvidia to ATI. It could be several factors if the Nvidia drivers haven't been cleared yet. Maybe PhysX is somehow interfering.

• Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    This game use modded Source engine >> become Spark engine

My computer can play L4D2 and CSGO at medium setting ( 1400x900) :D

Natural Selection 2 fail on my computer >> low all (1024x768) >> when combat FPS drop pathetic 20 ~ 25 no more ><

This explain why CS1.6 ,CSGO is money maker for Valve , they "care" about low-budget gamer (sale off under 5~10$ ,make graphics on very low setting)

Hope some admin or game-dev "take-a-look" on these topic like this about perfomance
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Goliath Vietnam
    you are very uninformed.

Sparks is not a modded Source engine. Its 100% selfmade by uwe. It is not a modded engine.

NS2 is a game which is very very VERY CPU intensive. Not many games are, not even shiny new ones.
    Almost all performance problems are related to the CPU intensive part, namely the logic thread. NS2 has a massive one compared to many many titles.

You are complaining oranges to lemons, and then complain lemons do not taste sweet. They work so different, you simply can not compare them on that point.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    This game use modded Source engine >> become Spark engine

My computer can play L4D2 and CSGO at medium setting ( 1400x900) :D

Natural Selection 2 fail on my computer >> low all (1024x768) >> when combat FPS drop pathetic 20 ~ 25 no more ><

This explain why CS1.6 ,CSGO is money maker for Valve , they "care" about low-budget gamer (sale off under 5~10$ ,make graphics on very low setting)

DC is right.
    There's absolutely no relationship between Source and Spark, where did u get that info?

Spark is brand new, made from scratch by UWE.
    You can't really compare its level of optimization against an old (and well funded) engine like Source.
    Hope some admin or game-dev "take-a-look" on these topic like this about perfomance

Ahem, you seriously think they are not aware of this? Really?

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I'm not watching that video, what framerate is it reporting you are getting? I would guess with that hardware you should be getting between 60 and 80 frames per second. Not good enough for ns2 by my standards but still.
  • houseshowhouseshow Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110956Members
    Allright, here i am again, reporting in.

I nearly fixed the Problem, it still doesnt run as it should but i will overclock my CPU as soon as the other Fans r delivered and then it should. The Problem was that my CPU was too high in Tempreture, i think the Problem occured when i did clean my CPU-Fan and didnt renew the thermal compound. I did buy a new CPU Fan and also some Casefans (which didnt arrived yet). After i insalled the new CPU Fan my Temps were alot better. I guess my CPU did downclock because of the Heatproblems and thats why the Game did run that shitty. Well its even a wonder that my CPU didnt just burn out .. (had 99°C alltime on all cores, the CPU is build for 71°C). Well hopefully i can get some more FPS when my Casefans and my thermal compound arrive. So far... thank you for your trys anyway.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    ouch. go do some CPU tests to make sure its not gone.
    Your cooling must have been horrid if it still got 99 degrees on downclocking. Im surprised it did not simply shutdown your pc.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My CPU likes to sit on around 90 degrees when playing NS2 (OC 4.5ghz), sometimes my pc reboots D:

Damn stock fans.
  • DarkRenzoDarkRenzo Join Date: 2008-12-15 Member: 65777Members
    hey i was wondering if anyone had found a way to increase FPS in game im running i5 quad core running at 3.5ghzx4 (overclocked) 8GB of RAM designed for gaming and Nvidia Geforce 520GT.

i currently have to play this game at 800x600 with all gfx turn to the lowest settings jst to gt 20 FPS.
    ive formated and reinstalled windows7, overclocked the cpu + gpu, used nvidia control pannel to turn off all the settings i can on NS2.
    with all this i can boost the fps to 22..

i could deal with this if there was a way to move where chat appears in game sinse 800x600 means each time sum1 talks or if i play CO mod my xhair is covered by the chat making marines impossible to play and raising the resolution means i lose a further 8 fps.

ive played sinse early NS1 and im totaly addicted but after a few games i jst give up.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    There is no way you should get that fps at that resolution with that build.

Perhaps your CPU is over heating something bad?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well his gpu isn't really made for 3d gaming beyond very old games. That card is as low as you can go.

Also those of you running on stock coolers: why? Corsair water cooling is like 60 bucks :)
    My bad, I thought the 520 was relatively new. (Didn't the 500 series come out after the 480 was released?).

Corsair, what model?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've been using the h60 for over 3 years now. There's some newer models I'm sure though.

New card generations primarily bring newer tech but also some performance increase. Yet this difference in performance can easily be negated (without loss of tech) when getting the down clocked cards, especially the lowest.
    An example is that a 480, 470, 450, etc are all faster and better than a 520 by a good amount.
    There's margins to be considered, but you get the point.
    Fair enough, and I'll look into a cheap cooling system.
    you are overclocking, OVERCLOCKING on stock fans? By the gods.. how is your cpu still alive.
    may even be the cause of instability with that.

If a non OC cpu refuses to go in full turbo due to the stock fan being crap, its even more unwise to OC the thing. (my i7 wouldnt turbo on stock fans).

If you replace the CPU cooling, do measure if the new cooling can fit in the case.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    What was UWE thinking when they made this game that requires a nasa computer to get decent fps (50>)? Even the popular games don't require such a good pc to play and has better performance and graphics. I'm starting to agree that the game will die, unfortunately - ask yourselves, how MANY people have monster pc's to play this game and have at LEAST 50 fps so it runs smooth all the time? When you look at scoreboards and see the top one absolutely dominating the enemy team, you ask him - how much fps do you have average? He will definetely say that at least 60 fps. This is not about skill anymore, this just fps - with good fps you see every move of the skulk, but with 25-30 fps you just see skipping him around and killing you.

This game is starting to create rage.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    My bad, I thought the 520 was relatively new. (Didn't the 500 series come out after the 480 was released?).
    It is, but its still bad. Passmark gives the GT 520 a score of 359 (for comparison the Intel HD 4000, the Ivy Bridge integrated graphics, has a score of 472). Typically, the Nvidia system works like:
    GT Cards = Terrible, but a cheap way to power a third or fourth monitor
    GTS Cards = Passable, but will still typically be overwhelmed by most games
    GTX Cards = What you want for gaming
    you are overclocking, OVERCLOCKING on stock fans? By the gods.. how is your cpu still alive.
    may even be the cause of instability with that.

If a non OC cpu refuses to go in full turbo due to the stock fan being crap, its even more unwise to OC the thing. (my i7 wouldnt turbo on stock fans).

If you replace the CPU cooling, do measure if the new cooling can fit in the case.

I will check, the one problem I'm going to run into though, my case is different than most, all the stuff plugs in on the TOP and there's a bunch of grates so fans can blow air up and out, so I dunno if I have anywhere to put it.

This one time, I OC'd my 2600k to 5ghz on my stock fan, booted fine, but ns2 dropped to 25fps from all the over heating, then I crashed.
    My friend jst let me try his new GTX card and guess what... no fps increase lol thats after a total driver reinstall so that points to my CPU? which is overclocked but not stock cooled, and its running nice n cool even in the intense Combat mod. my task manager isnt showing any large CPU useage from NS2 either even in mid to late game, also i noticed ppl sayin mid to late game drops FPS more but mines pretty steady all game round jst far to low.

also can any1 answer if theres a way to change where the in game chat appears? or a way to shrink it down abit? (ill even consider a total removal of chat area if poss) having sum1 talk n cover ur xhair as a skulk comes hopping over drives me crazy lol
    CPU won't max out at 100% unless you only have a dual core and have multi threading enabled.
    every gfx setting is off or on its lowest lol and ive made sure affinity is set. basicly googled for hours. i think ill jst have to stick to alien untill i can get a better pc, any tips on CPU GPU for this game? its pretty much all i play lol.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This one time, I OC'd my 2600k to 5ghz on my stock fan, booted fine, but ns2 dropped to 25fps from all the over heating, then I crashed.
    ...OC'd my 2600k to 5ghz on my stock fan...
    ...5ghz on my stock fan...
    I'm surprised you didn't kill the CPU right there. Unless you have the most amazingly overclockable chip ever, the vcore must have been atrociously high.
    DarkRenzo wrote: »
    My friend jst let me try his new GTX card and guess what... no fps increase lol thats after a total driver reinstall so that points to my CPU? which is overclocked but not stock cooled, and its running nice n cool even in the intense Combat mod. my task manager isnt showing any large CPU useage from NS2 either even in mid to late game, also i noticed ppl sayin mid to late game drops FPS more but mines pretty steady all game round jst far to low.

also can any1 answer if theres a way to change where the in game chat appears? or a way to shrink it down abit? (ill even consider a total removal of chat area if poss) having sum1 talk n cover ur xhair as a skulk comes hopping over drives me crazy lol
    Task manager doesn't do a good job of showing the CPU usage of NS2. Easiest way to check whether your CPU or GPU limited is to look at the 'waiting for GPU' line in-game during heavy combat (e.g. via r_stats in console). If its more than 1-3ms, then a better GPU will increase your fps. Otherwise, you need to get better CPU performance by either a) overclocking more or b) switching to a better CPU (or both).
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't kill the CPU right there. Unless you have the most amazingly overclockable chip ever, the vcore must have been atrociously high.

I believe it was 1.525v
    I did turn off HT so I didn't have to use as much v, since I mostly game I figured HT wasn't doing me any good, why not just clock higher, then I hit the cooling issue...
    ScardyBob wrote: »

I believe it was 1.525v
    I did turn off HT so I didn't have to use as much v, since I mostly game I figured HT wasn't doing me any good, why not just clock higher, then I hit the cooling issue...

1.525v ???

That's very dangerous for your cpu, i wouldn't go higher than 1.4v for daily use.
    Actually 1.525 is within the range recommended by an ASUS tech for my particular setup.
    What was UWE thinking when they made this game that requires a nasa computer to get decent fps (50>)? Even the popular games don't require such a good pc to play and has better performance and graphics. I'm starting to agree that the game will die, unfortunately - ask yourselves, how MANY people have monster pc's to play this game and have at LEAST 50 fps so it runs smooth all the time? When you look at scoreboards and see the top one absolutely dominating the enemy team, you ask him - how much fps do you have average? He will definetely say that at least 60 fps. This is not about skill anymore, this just fps - with good fps you see every move of the skulk, but with 25-30 fps you just see skipping him around and killing you.

This game is starting to create rage.

On the other hand, if the game logic had been written in other, more efficient languages instead of LUA, the game might have not even been released at this point. Modding it and experimenting new features on the fly would be harder, maybe debugging as well.

So, UWE made a choice; considering the dev team size and that it's not an AAA title, we can't have performance, functionality and availability ALL at the same time. It IS a tough choice, after all :\
    @Ghosthree3
    That your cpu runs, even runs harder, doesnt mean it runs well.
    If it gets hotter then spec, a lot hotter then spec, it is bound to mess up calculations.

I hope your cpu did not suffer permanent damage, but a well cooled OC cpu will always perform better then a higher OC bad cooled one.
    Im completely with ScardyBob on this one.
    GL with your non stock fans. :)