So my computer is supposed to be pretty good

razinzellrazinzell Join Date: 2013-03-19 Member: 184075Members
But i have to run this game on the lowest possible settings and i still only get 17-20fps in some places (the green infection stuff brings me down to 10-15

Here are my specs. I thought it would definitely run this game on at least mid settings.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080
    I suspect that's your problem. The GT 620 is not really strong enough for 1080p resolutions, such that I suspect that if you typed r_stats into your console during a game, you'd see the 'waiting for GPU' line in the 10+ms range. Try reducing your resolution to see if that helps.

Also, would love to see you run the benchmark described in this thread.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You have a great processor and 8GB is a good amount of RAM, but the GeForce 620 is an extremely basic / entry level graphics card, not really designed for gaming. You don't need an insane high-end GPU for NS2, but you'll want to upgrade to something at least midrange to shift the bottleneck over to your CPU.

Something like an AMD 7850 or an Nvidia GTX 660 would be more than enough, but they certainly aren't the only options, just a good baseline I'd say. You'll need to make sure your power supply can support the upgrade, and in some circumstances, the chassis / motherboard as well.
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    what they said. Your specs other than your video card aren't bad. I currently have a 7850 and ns2 runs great (not that expensive card).
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited March 2013
    **Mod edit - play nice please** - Obraxis

Your cpu is fine, albiet still technically not fast enough for highly competetive ns2 it's definitely more than enough for the most part.

It's annoying these store bought computers put such terrible graphics cards in their computers, they also often put terrible power supplies that don't have enough connectors for an upgrade, meaning if you wanted to put a significantly better gpu in your box, you're looking at a power supply upgrade too.

If you're willing to open that case up and check the power supply, you need at least 450 watts for a decent graphics card, and also make sure you have a 6 pin atx connector and an 8 pin atx connector, or 4 molex connectors. If you don't know what these are, GOOGLE AWAY.

If you just want a simple gpu upgrade that's pretty much guaranteed to be plug in, install drivers, play. The Radeon 7750 is the best you can get without upgrading the psu, as it doesn't need extra power cables plugged into it.

Don't go hastily buying stuff obviously, but yeah... 620, that's not good.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    As others have said, the 620 is not a 'gaming' card. It will probably run most games OK from <2010 on low/medium but nothing modern at 1080p.

You can see how badly it performs here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+620

I would suggest you invest in at least a mid-range gaming card such as a Nvidia 650, AMD 7950 or above as your CPU is good for NS2.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Your cpu is fine, albiet still technically not fast enough for highly competetive ns2 it's definitely more than enough for the most part.

It's annoying these store bought computers put such terrible graphics cards in their computers, they also often put terrible power supplies that don't have enough connectors for an upgrade, meaning if you wanted to put a significantly better gpu in your box, you're looking at a power supply upgrade too.

If you're willing to open that case up and check the power supply, you need at least 450 watts for a decent graphics card, and also make sure you have a 6 pin atx connector and an 8 pin atx connector, or 4 molex connectors. If you don't know what these are, GOOGLE AWAY.

If you just want a simple gpu upgrade that's pretty much guaranteed to be plug in, install drivers, play. The Radeon 7750 is the best you can get without upgrading the psu, as it doesn't need extra power cables plugged into it.

Don't go hastily buying stuff obviously, but yeah... 620, that's not good.
    Googling his desktop, it looks like it has a 460W PSU, though I wouldn't be surprised if its of garbage quality. Looking at the part quality of that list reminds me why I started building my own desktops in the first place.

Presuming that power supply has the correct connections, I'd go with a GTX 650 or HD 7750 if you can afford the $100 pricepoint. If not, I wouldn't go below a HD 4870.

@razinzell the get a better GPU suggestions are because your computer is setup like a VW Bug with a Ferrari engine. It sounds fast on paper, but it won't ever achieve those speeds in real life. However, you can upgrade the transmission (e.g. GPU) to make it run closer to the theoretical speed.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Confirming what others said, GT620 is holding you back by a great deal.

You thought it was a good rig just because someone told you or because you saw many "Gigabytes" of stuff?

Unless you completely trust the source, I suggest you directly check benchmarks by yourself. It's not hard, really, there's a lot of material online.
    Just google "<cpu_or_gpu_name> benchmark" to get actual trustworthy data (it's still best to check more than 1 source though).

Oh, another advice: many manufacturers tend to add a gazillion of VRAM to low-mid Graphic card just to make them more appealing (read: marketing).
    While more memory can't be BAD, such inflated amounts will be simply useless.

VRAM is primarily used to store textures, manage filters (AA, AF) and as the game resolution increases, more memory will be needed.
    If you're playing with multimonitor setups, you'll benefit from 2gb+ VRAM in several scenarios.
    BUT at the same time you need hardware (GPU) to quickly perform instructions, in order to produce a playable framerate.

In short, all memories are PASSIVE units, they do not perform operations. It's the processors (CPU,GPU) who do that; so, having so much memory is pointless if the processing unit isn't fast enough. (the opposite is true as well: having a super GPU with a very small amount of memory is very bad, but I have never seen such combo).

It's all a matter of bottlenecks, in the end. As always :D
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    You got ripped off, such is life in the world of marketing. Quite frankly im surprised you can even run NS2, a GT620 is the lowest of the low. Not all is lost though, you can spend 200 bucks on a gtx 660 or 300 on a gtx660ti and you'll be set for a long while. You may need to upgrade your PSU though, it's 460 watts but er... Prebuilt PSUs lie. A lot. I wouldnt risk it, you may end up plagued by instability issues.
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    getting a prebuilt desktop is the issue here. i dont know why anyone would want to buy a prebuilt one, when you can get your own with better specs minus the bloatware.
    fat cat wrote: »
    getting a prebuilt desktop is the issue here. i dont know why anyone would want to buy a prebuilt one, when you can get your own with better specs minus the bloatware.
    For the warranty. Many PC gamers are either or have learned to be PC experts such that we have no trouble diagnosing or fixing any problems that come along. However, most people just want a computer that works with as little hassle and maintenance as possible. That usually means prebuilt systems with warranties from big name companies, though I usually see this more with laptops than desktops.

Of course, the downside is that sometimes these companies stick you with crappy parts to cut costs.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Let's not bring warranty into it, I can get a custom built computer with 1 year warranty on the whole computer and no voiding of the warranty if I open it AND full warranties on all the components individually(2 years for gpu for example, 5 years for psu etc depending on brand).
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Presuming that power supply has the correct connections, I'd go with a GTX 650 or HD 7750 if you can afford the $100 pricepoint. If not, I wouldn't go below a HD 4870.

A 4870 is equivalent to a 7750 (check out toms hardware hierarchy chart), only the 7750 uses a quarter of the power to do the same job in half the space(or a quarter of the space).
    From personal experience with a 7750 in ns2, it works... but I wouldn't recommend it for full enjoyment, you'd have to seriously turn the settings down to get nice framerates, it would remove the bottleneck at low to medium settings don't get me wrong. I just personally would get something better, like a 7870 or 660 or 660 Ti.

In short, get the 7750 as it's way better than your 620, just be aware it will not max ns2 out.