Game speed adjustment

TheSubstituteTheSubstitute Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183770Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I enjoy playing NS2, but there is a steep learning curve that no one can deny. The slope of this curve I think is directly proportional to the speed in which games are played with a typical match being about 15-20 minutes start to finish. While I understand that NS2 is a hybrid FPS and RTS, the game should allow for some adjustment to player skill levels so that not every public game is a complete blowout simply because "OMG our Commander is a noob and screwed up the first 120 seconds of the game"

Because of several major changes to how players aquire better weapons/lifeforms/etc, NS2 has evolved into more of a resourse denial game than NS1. Servers should have the ability to speed up or slow down the rate in which these resources are collected, this way early "mistakes" are not as catestrophic to players trying to learn various aspects of the game. The slowing down of the game would allow players to work through adversity rather than a game quickly snowballing out of control. In the interest of standardizing this feature UWE could implement a 2 or 3 speed adjustment (beginner/expert, slow/medium/fast) to have parity between servers.

Comments

• ManwichManwich Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182715Members
    The res tick is a really integral part of NS2 strategy and match transition - changing this would affect many meta game factors that relate to team economy etc.
    I do like the reasoning behind the idea however - adding some measures to make the game more beginner friendly would be nice.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Step one: open Balance.lua with notepad++

Step two: edit res flow values
    kResourceTowerResourceInterval = 6
    kTeamResourcePerTick = 1

Step three: publish as mod, install on your server.

Extra: You can also go a step beyond this and make up your own kind of algorithm for resource flow (diminishing returns, scale by player count, disable on certain events, etc), and even change how much things cost.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Because everyone has a spare server sitting around...