Vortex -The Shadow Area

Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Vortex should be redone. My idea of vortex is an ability that can partially shroud you and your enemies from the others outside it's range (10-15m?) and dampen noise. It would be used for "silent" kills; poor marine's lmg -sounds and last scream could be heard, but not far. It would also make seeing difficult for marines same way as shade's ink and from the outside the vortex would be even darker than from the inside, forcing marines to go in if they want to see better and maybe actually hit something. Space magic or something. You could use it for retreat (think Octopus -Fade :) ), hiding allies when fighting in a large room or just for intimidation. Who wants to go through a darkened, narrow passageway first? Or maybe for shrouding a phase gate and make phasing marines nasty surprise.
I read from ns2 wiki that shade's ink makes Kharaa invisible to scan. I don't know, if that ability is still included, but for fade it sure would be handy. Throw this improved vortex on top of marine buildings before doing any damage and marines don't know how many there are. Fades could even make several vortex areas linked together and bring the group much closer to the enemy base unseen by scan. This would make those little sentries maybe a bit more useful. Oh, did I mention that this vortex won't appear around the fade? It's made in front of fade so that he can make it without necessarily showing himself. It could be dissipated by flamethrowers.

Comments

• 1scorpion1scorpion Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183418Members
    Clever ideas, i do like the idea of a life form being able to shade-ink. Its such a great looking and underused feature. Yeah, Vortex should probably be made more appealing but i don't think it needs to be overhauled to such an extent. A masterful fade is a powerful creature, incredibly hard to take down without teamwork. Giving fades the ability to isolate rines from a group would mean god-like fades.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Thanks for the feedback. If you mean by isolation the voice dampening, voices could be heard across a small room, but not across a very large room. The other kind of isolation, darkness, wouldn't hide action complelety. Shapes could be seen from the outside, but it would be difficult to distinguish exactly who's who. Marines could choose to shoot from the safe distance or go inside and closer the fade. Inside of the Vortex would be more clearer than the shade's ink -effect. After all, Fade's problem isn't that one marine he's dancing with, but the other 2 who want to join, too.
    I don't think that the isolation from the group would be that easy. Since Vortex would have 10-15m radius, isolating only the last marine means he should be that far away from the next marine in order to get only him inside the Vortex and still the other marine would hear the sounds, although muffled. The marine outside would shoot his gun towards moving shape which looks more like the fade alerting the others running further before going in. Now it wouldn't be 1 on 1, but 2 on 1 and Vortex might have bought maybe 1-2 seconds of premium time with only one marine. If marines moved in a tighter group, there would have been 2 on 1 or more from the start.
    You could also say, that in a large room it would be op against a single marine, but even if vortex was targeted so that the marine is at dead center of it, he needs to move only 5-7,5m in order to reach the border of Vortex and make the fight heard by others. Depending in which direction he moves while trying to avoid fade's claws, he would pop out of Vortex nearer his buddies or from the opposite side in which case he would be in trouble. And even if there's no voice to be heard, a big, black cloud is kinda distinctive sight in itself.
  • ManwichManwich Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182715Members
    I really like this idea - something like an umbra for fade I suppose. But I know that there would be a big opposition against this, as many people already think that game has too many screen obscuring effects.