Lower weapon accuracy while jumping

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
1) it's realistic, try jumping and shooting with a real gun.

2) it gives skulk better chance up close, and may serve as a slight skulk buff that may be currently needed.

I think those jumping duels in close range are the ugliest and most frustrating part of NS2 gameplay.

Comments

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I agree, but I'm grumpy not enough people are looking at my idea.

Anyway, yes, I think this is a good idea.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    @kamamura what about when using a jetpack?

I'm sorry I think this would be awful. "Skill fps games" which rely on movement should not have accuracy modifiers (Quake/Unreal/NS2/HL etc) FPS games which rely on high damage weapons and positioning (CS/CoD etc) can get away with these accuracy modifiers as both teams suffer from it and the weapons are so high damage that one shot is usually enough to get the kill. This would reduce marines to crawl walking anytime an enemy unit was near, and destroy and hope of killing advanced life-forms imo
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    I agree that marine dodging is not very skillful but changing the accuracy while jumping would result in random and frustrating combat.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Perhaps, if they went in the direction of skill-based shooting such as Counter-Strike or Call of Duty. However, they went the way of Quake or Unreal Tournament IE. twitch-based shooting. In Twitch, jumping/jetting/flying never affect your accuracy, in fact most weapons don't even have an "accuracy" variable. In NS2, weapons account for this slightly. For example, the Rifle has a ~97% accuracy rate, whereas the Pistol has a 100%. The Rifle achieves 97% by having a slight variation to the shot spread making it ever-so-slightly inaccurate.

Love it or hate it, jump-dodging has/will always be a part of the NS1/2 gameplay.
  • rakzrakz Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164315Members
    No, just no. the godness of ns2 is about perfect precision, COMEON we have other features to balance without remove ACELERATION of skulk, or remove the accuracy.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Maybe if it were also that aliens had some similar modifier. But that wouldn't make much sense. I think this is one of those little things that would have a dramatic influence on balance. Tread carefully.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's already frustrating for me to try to kill a skulk that's circling me at biting distance..... No need to make it more frustrating. ktnx
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Random effects make games boring. Next you suggest critical strikes or some other bullshat?
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    edited March 2013
    The way to fix the marine being faster/jumping further than the skulk problem is to return the skulk movement to how it was pre B240. Keep the hit registration fixes, restore the acceleration.

For the love of all things good do not nerf the marine movement or add in any of those retarded things like damage spread / recoil etc.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    Seahunts wrote: »
    The way to fix the marine being faster/jumping further than the skulk problem is to return the skulk movement to how it was pre B240. Keep the hit registration fixes, restore the acceleration.

For the love of all things good do not nerf the marine movement or add in any of those retarded things like damage spread / recoil etc.

This, please.

• hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Seahunts wrote: »

Yep.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Okay, scratch it then, it was just an idea. I am pleased to have induced such an unanimous wall of pure "NO!", though ;-)
  • rakzrakz Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164315Members
    ANYTHING irregular like changes in recoil and spread will make me leave this game srsly. the only thing in aiming that makes it differently awesome then other games cannot be removed. if u r bad at skulk try improve your movement and scout actions, i have no problem and faceroll alone marines 1x1 everytime.
  • ScalebrosScalebros Join Date: 2013-03-26 Member: 184438Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    1) it's realistic, try jumping and shooting with a real gun.

2) it gives skulk better chance up close, and may serve as a slight skulk buff that may be currently needed.

I think those jumping duels in close range are the ugliest and most frustrating part of NS2 gameplay.

I support your idea. For ex. in BF3 it works very well.
    For me, it totally kills the mood, when I stalk a marine then the i moment i jump on him, the crazy "dancing-jumping" combat begins. It is just unrealistic. Very unrealistic.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Yes, but I already regret posting the original idea. Apparently, any form of realism is not the objective here, and I understand why people dislike it. It' just a "point and shoot" game, and who can do it fastest wins, like Quake, etc. Also, this is an extremely close quarters combat game, where any sort of careful aiming from a stationary position like real riflemen do is just not viable.

So I no longer support my original idea ;-)

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Aliens also move sickly fast compared to BF/CoD/Halo type enemies and simply require non-recoil weapons

NS(2) has always been about tracking aim and twitch aiming, any deviation from that simply isn't NS IMHO... Also your realism points are superseded by ... Nanites
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    Yes, but I already regret posting the original idea. Apparently, any form of realism is not the objective here, and I understand why people dislike it. A stationary position like real riflemen do is just not viable.

So I no longer support my original idea ;-)

I wouldn't thats completely true. The common occurence? Yeah. If you're securing a second tech point you should always take a good stationary position. Marines always have the advantage with that situation.

I'll accept a jump accuracy loss if skulks loose glancing bites.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Disagree emphatically. This is not a realism shooter and any and all accuracy bloom mechanics are simply out of place in NS2. We don't even have fall damage. =p
    If you're securing a second tech point you should always take a good stationary position. Marines always have the advantage with that situation.

I have observed that good players are constantly on the move, whether playing aliens or marines, even then building, or guarding a venue of approach. I suspect the reason for this is client-biased lag solution of the game. If you are stationary, and an enemy attacks you, and say you react really fast and dodge, you still are a stationary target for your opponent for the duration of your and your adversary's network lag COMBINED. If you are attacked by a low pinger, even worse, because he has more time to chew on you. That's why advanced players are constantly on the move, literally whole game.
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    If you're securing a second tech point you should always take a good stationary position. Marines always have the advantage with that situation.

I have observed that good players are constantly on the move, whether playing aliens or marines, even then building, or guarding a venue of approach. I suspect the reason for this is client-biased lag solution of the game. If you are stationary, and an enemy attacks you, and say you react really fast and dodge, you still are a stationary target for your opponent for the duration of your and your adversary's network lag COMBINED. If you are attacked by a low pinger, even worse, because he has more time to chew on you. That's why advanced players are constantly on the move, literally whole game.

Sorry, I didn't mean camp a single space and never move. I meant depending on the room a stationary location that you are basically "orbiting around". When I said securing a second tech point I don't just mean clearing it out but building RT, Chair, Armory, Phase Gate, etc. Which takes time.