Issues with 640 X 480 resolution

GeoGeo Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184353Members
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
My GPU isn't the best, so I often play at 640 X 480 resolution. This gives me problems beyond poor visual fidelity:

1. Text size is too big: Player chat often isn't fully displayed onscreen, it cuts off on the right side. When searching for servers the text overlaps with itself. Tips displayed during the loading screen get cut off on the sides. UPDATE: text size solution here: "Low resolution user interface" forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2050206/

2. The map is so big that it gets cut off at the bottom of the screen, obscuring at least one room. I wish for a separate, lower-resolution map for 640 X 480.

3. The arrow icons used to represent players on the mini-map are not optimized for 640x480, and it is very difficult to identify the direction they are pointing (especially annoying for a newbie like me when trying to travel to a destination). If they were fully colored instead of hollow, this wouldn't be an issue.

4. When playing as commander, chat text displays behind the command interface, and the command interface is so unnecessarily large that it covers half the screen.

The issues with playing commander are not too problematic for me because the command role does not require a high frame rate, so I can play it at 800 X 600 (but it sucks when I have to exit the command station in order to quickly help fight off an in-base attack, for that reason I'd rather be playing at 640 X 480).

I do not want to buy a new GPU, I do not have the money for it. I don't think these problems are impossible to fix.

Comments

• Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    im pretty sure that resolution is not supported
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    What gpu do you have? I would guess that your cpu wouldn't be the best either...
  • GeoGeo Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184353Members
    The resolution is supported. My GPU is a Radeon HD 7350 with an updated driver. I've read that this graphics card is a redesign of an older model. My CPU is fine, I have an Intel Core i5 2320, 3 Ghz.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    do a search on the forums. there is a way to edit the font size so sizes are readable and the front is smaller in the center of the screen. It still populates in the center but its more manageable.
    Thank you, I found a thread that deals with text size. I still have the problems with the map, minimap, and command interface. I added some images at the top of this thread to demonstrate my problem.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    I don't think there is anything you can do outside of the fonts. With something like the map for instance, that is an actual image. Outside of trying to take the overview image file and scaling it down, things like this are something that would have to be worked on by one of the devs.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm sure someone could make a mod in less than 10 minutes that gives 80% sized automaps.
  • SleekSleek Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182709Members
    Good luck with this...I didnt think anyone was still playing on 640 x 480 res..
    I know you said you dont want to buy a new gpu but I would urge you to at least have a look as there are plenty sub $100 cards that would kill the gpu you have now.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I still am, for a bit, hopefully a new computer will fix :)
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Barely no one plays at such low resolution anymore... I won't blame the devs if the game doesn't properly support it.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sleek wrote: »
    Good luck with this...I didnt think anyone was still playing on 640 x 480 res..
    I know you said you dont want to buy a new gpu but I would urge you to at least have a look as there are plenty sub $100 cards that would kill the gpu you have now.

He could easily find something like an used GTX 260 for $35. Hell, even an old 8800 GTS would be better and would set him back $0-20.
    I'd have to get a new power supply too.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Its known, but not being actively worked on, that's all i can give ya, sorry.
    Its a pain to scale the interface for such low resolutions that are so infrequently used. (0.01% of all steam users, according to their hardware survey)

Developers' time is better spent optimizing the game so that it can be ran at higher resolutions.

That being said.. what others said holds true, even with power supply costs you could easily keep it below the cost of a game, ~60 bucks, for a new GPU.