What ever happened to going for the Armory first?

slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
In Natural Selection, the go-to structure to kill was the Armory. Destroying the Armory before Marines could get the AA/Protolab up could have a huge impact on the game and delay Marine's technology a good few minutes.

What's the deal now? Does anyone go for the Armory anymore? Or is it just me?

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    In ns1 the resource investment was more substantial and meaningful, what with only one resource pool to draw from. Furthermore, the greatest investment of all was the time investment. I remember upgrading an armory took a really long time. Like a ridiculous amount of time. In NS2 its not really a big deal, and only takes about a minute or something. Its annoying to be sure, and if I'm attacking a marine base during the right window, I will go for the advanced armory, but it really isn't a priority structure anymore.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    slayer, I frequently sneak to the marine base and take out the Obs to delay phase-gates. Has a very high success rate due to the low HP of obs :)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    A lot of players don't ever spent much res at all anyway. Why delay their Exo when you can wipe out their whole base by killing the obs, ip or power?
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Desther wrote: »
    A lot of players don't ever spent much res at all anyway. Why delay their Exo when you can wipe out their whole base by killing the obs, ip or power?

Unless you have an organized base rush, I've rarely seen one or two skulks successfully take out an entire base after killing the Obs, IP, or even the Power Node. It can certainly delay Marines a little bit, but I still feel like taking out the Armory would have longer-lasting effects.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You'd be better off going for the arms lab than the armoury to be honest, unless it's an advanced armoury.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Within the first 3-4 minutes I find going for the observatory the most effective strategy. Costs the team 15 resources, has low hp, delays phase gate research and also sometimes causes rookie commanders to panic and beacon everyone back. It's super effective ;)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Like @Xarius said, unless it's an AA, not really worth it, 10 res, probably not researching anything. Everything else is 15 res or more, and often easier to kill.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Observatory has less life and costs 5 resources more. So I don't know why i should focus my attacks on the armory.

High targets for me, if I rush as a single Skulk is Prototype Lab, Infantry Portals and Observatory (and rarely Arms Lab).
    In some rooms like Terminal or Sub Access I try to take out the Extractors. (If I'm harassing and not want to force a beacon)

In a pack the best targets imo are the powernode and infantry portals (maybe the prototype lab, but only if you don't think you have a chance to take out the entire base)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    NS2 doesn't have HMGs, and as such, AA more or less only serves as a prerequisite for jetpacks and exos. It's only worth destroying if you get their proto down first.
  • EliakimEliakim Join Date: 2013-03-21 Member: 184105Members
    Why go for anything other than the power point? Once that goes down the marines are screwed.
  • EliakimEliakim Join Date: 2013-03-21 Member: 184105Members
    Why go for anything other than the power point? Once that goes down the marines are screwed.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Power nodes happened. No reason to kill anything else when you can go for the jugular and wipe the whole base. Sometimes the obs goes first to allow you to go for the power after that, but that's pretty much it. In NS1 you had to decide if you wanted to cause economic damage, disable upgrades, prevent respawns, etc... In NS2 there's one structure that does all that.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    to give the cod generation what they want. not to think
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There are still cases where attacking the obs, arms lab, adv armoury, proto lab or just straight for the CC instead of power is still preferable.
    Two quick examples (there are others):
    If the marines are on their way back, and you are massively outnumbered, getting the power down will not really help you to cause damage.
    If you've just got the phase gate/obs down at a second marine base, and you suspect they're close to getting JP/Exo, or they are using nanoshield, then just ignore the power, get that CC down so they can't buy up higher level tech! You can worry about the power later if you must (or let the comm put a whip on it, or a gorge to bile it, or just ignore it completely...)
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited March 2013
    Short of a big organised base rush, I almost never go for the power first, it's got a lot more health than (most?) other structures. I target Phase Gates or observatory... only if the base is built up (PG,Obs,IP's,CC,AA,Proto) will I go for the power first, and it's usually with the intention to force a beacon rather than destroy it. Other times I've gone for the arms lab, often stashed in a corner near the cc with plenty of cover. Works better than a beacon for stopping a push on a hive dead.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Armory first is a pretty bad deal in NS2. Typically, what you attack is based on your intentions. However, some of the more common ones are:
    Powernode = Disable the base
    Obs = Has low HP, medium cost and disables beacon
    Phase Gate = Force beacon, possibly turn it into a feedgate
    Proto = High cost, disables JP/Exos
    Command Station = Force a panic beacon from a new comm
    Arms lab = Get rid of marine upgrades
    Advanced Armory = High cost, longer time to reupgrade, disable JP/exos/GL/FT
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    I do wish losing your AA meant having to research it all again, like alien upgrade structures have to go through.. even if you didnt have to pay for them again but at least had to wait for the research time... would make it a much more viable target
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Because in NS1 the Advance Armory was an actual resource/time investment that produced end game Marine weapons.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    earl game, sneak obs kill is lovely. also, killing ips really messes with them. if I'm biling, I usually go for ips/ phase, they are usually clustered so I can hit.them both at the same time.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I do wish losing your AA meant having to research it all again, like alien upgrade structures have to go through.. even if you didnt have to pay for them again but at least had to wait for the research time... would make it a much more viable target
    Totally agree, same deal should apply with arms labs if they are destroyed.
    Marines have to research everything again I would not be opposed to them even having to pay full cost like aliens do.
    At the least it should be half the cost and full research time.
    Aliens economy is too fragile to ninja attacks, the multiple chambers of NS1 gave the alien tech tree more robustness and less prone to complete sabotage in a few seconds.
    The full cost and research time aliens have to go through is simply rubbing salt into the wounds when all marines have to do is rebuild the structure (no research time or research costs).

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Armories are often found throughout the map, so taking a normal one of those down in base won't set much back as far as upgrading or building trees go. In addition to the cost factor.

An early obs kill is excessively annoying and quite doable for the lone skulk rush. An early big push should go after the IPs, since in all likelyhood those are the only ones they have, any marines you just killed won't be respawning any time soon and they simply have to build them again, fast. Which means they'll be stopping and running back to base fast.

Midgame and sometimes later the Arms lab can be a very nice target, it's got surprisingly low health. I know when I comm I prepare for the worst and drop a spare in another base if we are doing well res wise. So it may or may not work.

Latgame, IMO the majority of the time you want to go after power and power only. I'm starting to like the Obs first, power second route, but if you have enough force to take out power before the beacon can fire, do it. Sometimes, like if you're a lone gorge and no one is diverting to help you, prioritizing the protolab could be understandable, most often there's only one of those and they're 40 res a pop.

After power is but in a marine expansion I always go after the Chair next, the sooner its gone, the less time they have to scramble an exo or jetpacks.