Dropping weapons

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited April 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I want to propose a different behavior of weapon dropping/taking.

The current system is a bit too clumsy - you have to point precisely to the weapon, and if you miss, or the weapon disappears for whatever reason, you will throw your weapon on the ground, becoming suddenly vulnerable. I am aware there are some marginal strategies involving dropping weapons to run faster, but I thing the current system brings more glitches than advantages. Therefore, I propose the following modification to what the "drop/take weapon" button does:

Dropping weapons is no longer possible, only switching. As long as you press and hold the button, you will swap your current weapon in the moment you run over a weapon lying on the floor. If the weapon is destroyed/picked by another player, your own weapon won't be dropped and nothing will in fact happen. You don't have to aim on the weapon you want to swap your current weapon with, being in a very close proximity is sufficient.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It doesn't work by aiming at the weapon. If you've got a pile of weapons, it picks the closest one to you. I'd actually love to have it changed to actually point at the weapon you want.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    But how will I go on axe runs if I can't drop my LMG and Pistol?
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    edited April 2013
    Why not a pick up / swap weapon key that prevents you accidentally dropping your AR when you miss the pick up of a welder. Then a separate drop current weapon key?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Seahunts wrote: »
    Why not a pick up / swap weapon key that prevents you accidentally dropping your AR when you miss the pick up of a welder. Then a separate drop current weapon key?

Jetpacks are already picked up with the "use" key, I think welders should too. However, dropping welders is a reasonable move (unlike dropping primary weapon) because axe does more damage to structures like harvesters.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Why reinvent the weel when years of gaming already found the best way to achieve this? We already discussed that numberous of time, the best way to achieve it is a system similar to CS. A single key to drop your weapon, and if you walk on a weapon it goes in your inventory, that's all.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Why reinvent the weel when years of gaming already found the best way to achieve this? We already discussed that numberous of time, the best way to achieve it is a system similar to CS. A single key to drop your weapon, and if you walk on a weapon it goes in your inventory, that's all.

Well, I don't think this system is the best because it leaves you defenseless after you drop the weapon.

If nobody was "reinventing the wheel", we would be still playing brainless doom deathmatch.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dissing Doom? Oh no you didn't!
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    I suggest splitting take/drop weapon into two keys. The current key picks up a ground weapon (if any) and drops your current weapon for that slot, but does nothing at all if there is no ground weapon. The second (new) key simply drops your current weapon and does nothing else.
  • TomTomTomTom Canada Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184622Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »
    I want to propose a different behavior of weapon dropping/taking.

"Dropping weapons is no longer possible, only switching. As long as you press and hold the button, you will swap your current weapon in the moment you run over a weapon lying on the floor. If the weapon is destroyed/picked by another player, your own weapon won't be dropped and nothing will in fact happen. You don't have to aim on the weapon you want to swap your current weapon with, being in a very close proximity is sufficient."

I disagree with your suggestion for one simple reason: It would make trading weapons and saving weapons for downed allies while they respawn impossible, since you would not be able to drop the weapon currently equipped without a weapon on the floor to exchange it with. Separating drop and pickup into two different keys, as sotanaht suggested, would solve the problem but seems to me to over complicate a simple function.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Because this is incredibly important. I'm sorry but I just have to disagree with the idea, the current implementation is fine. The only real issue is weapons disappearing too quickly. Adding more buttons or changing how weapons are dropped or picked up only adds unnecessary development time and also confusion to the game mechanics.
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Because this is incredibly important.

What do you mean by "this"?

I agree it's important, because reusing fallen marine weapons is an important part of marine resource game. In my system, you could just hold a button and run over a weapon, swapping it fluidly for the one you have. The current system does not allow this (problem), and as a bonus, it creates situations where you toss your weapons away, becoming defenseless, contrary to your intentions.

No, the current implementation is not fine, IMO.

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Because this is incredibly important. I'm sorry but I just have to disagree with the idea, the current implementation is fine. The only real issue is weapons disappearing too quickly. Adding more buttons or changing how weapons are dropped or picked up only adds unnecessary development time and also confusion to the game mechanics.

New players wouldn't have to worry about the drop weapon button at all because the only reasons to drop weapons are advanced tactics for very experienced players. It would probably be somewhere out of the way by default, like '\' or something. Just so long as we separate swap weapon from drop weapon WITHOUT removing drop weapon entirely.

The current implementation is NOT fine. It's a fairly major problem, and things go wrong trying to grab a dropped weapon more often than not. Fortunately, the fix itself is trivial.
    sotanaht wrote: »
    The current implementation is NOT fine. It's a fairly major problem, and things go wrong trying to grab a dropped weapon more often than not. Fortunately, the fix itself is trivial.

That's exactly my impression. But someone would probably need to convince the devs that it's worthy to spend time on.

Except if I am walking along with my glorious weapon of ultimate destruction and fire power (a shotgun) I do not wish to automatically swap it for a suicide machine (grenade launcher) or anything else for that matter.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sometimes you need to run. Run like hell. And you have to drop everything droppable. You press G, you only got your pistol now. You press G again, you got your rifle back. Too late to run now.
    Simply make drop/pick up separate keys.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Well, I don't think this system is the best because it leaves you defenseless after you drop the weapon.
    If nobody was "reinventing the wheel", we would be still playing brainless doom deathmatch.
    If you want to drop your weapon, it's your choice. If you don't want to be defenseless, just don't drop your weapon, I really don't see your point.
    Actually it's exactly the same thing, the only difference is you are probably a lot more defenseless now because you have a harder time to pick the weapon (and the right weapon) on the ground.
    And wtf are you even taking about doom/deathmatch, it's totally irrelevant.
    Seahunts wrote: »

Except if I am walking along with my glorious weapon of ultimate destruction and fire power (a shotgun) I do not wish to automatically swap it for a suicide machine (grenade launcher) or anything else for that matter.
    I think you quoted the wrong post. Also, do you actually know it's impossible to have 2 primary weapons at the same time?

The only problem there could be is: if you want to go faster by dropping all your weapons like xen32 said, but it's still better than anything else. Especially when this problem would rarely occur.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    There are numerous reasons you would drop a weapon.

If I'm in a quiet area and find another shotgun on the floor, I will swap weapons over and over until someone comes to take it, so that it doesn't disappear.

You can also drop welders when in a group of Marines so someone else can pick it up and weld you.

As I see it, you shouldn't be able to drop your primary or secondary weapon, only switch them. Only your melee weapon should be able to be dropped.
    I think you quoted the wrong post. Also, do you actually know it's impossible to have 2 primary weapons at the same time?

Possibly, I was posting from a phone. I think I misinterpreted that post as "walk over a weapon means you autoswap" and yes I know you only have a single primary weapon hence my concern at being automatically downgraded.
    I assume the intent of that system would be that to swap a weapon, you first must use the drop weapon key to drop your current weapon, then you walk over the weapon you wish to collect? This I could see working. You can still drop weapons and go for a axe sprint.
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    Current system is a little cumbersome. I liked how HL1 worked, just run on top of the weapons and pick them up. Setting to allow or disallow switching to the weapon you just picked up. That was fluid.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members

CS:GO actually lets you swap your primary gun by looking at one on the ground and pressing E.