Electric/Laser gate trap for the marine team

MoreGirlsLessSCMoreGirlsLessSC Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67557Members
Mid-game marines are often subject to lerk and fade harassments, 1-2 aliens usually harass the undefended part of the map, as they should, or continuously gas the main group of marines. High speed allows them to fly/shift away to the nearest craig, then rince and repeat. I have an idea that will make it more challenging, a structure which would attach itself to the inner doorway, say, one bar on the top and one bar on the bottom, or from top to left. Unless looking there directly, it will be difficult to see that it is present. Once an alien with high velocity passes through the gate, the trap activates emitting electric/laser beams that slow down the alien, say halving the creature's speed. Alternatively they can keep the creature in place for a while, although thats probably overkill as a single clip of LMG fire at that spot will dispatch it quickly. The door trap has a recharge timer, so it won't be able to slow down all the aliens passing through, just the first fast one, until the recharge timer expires.

P.S.
My idea is somewhat ground in real life physics as well, lasers can be used to cool atoms and slow them down/keep them in place. Of course coding this might be challenging - either the mapper has to create fake invisible bars on all gates in the map, or somehow the size of the bar model to be placed has to be determined dynamically.

Comments

• Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MoreGirlsLessSCMoreGirlsLessSC Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67557Members
    Nope, mines are not reusable and are largely useless against lerks. I was thinking about a type of defensive structure that doesn't deal damage directly, but rather makes harassment more inconvenient when installed.

• SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Sounds more similar to the MAC's EMP upgrade than Mines. Has a cooldown, and kills the alien energy (instead of slowing it down) - very bad to higher lifeforms that are relying on that energy to charge/blink away.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    largely useless against lerks

Clearly you don't put your mines on the ceiling. The smile on my face when an ex-lerk screams at me for that :D
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Clearly you haven't seen floor-gliding lerks, not only do they avoid ceilingmines, but they are FCKIN FARST.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want to defend a doorway, 1 mine at the top of the doorway, 1 on the floor, and 1 on the side of the doorway. The lerk cannot get through (unless bad placement) without blowing at least one (usually more) and they do pretty good damage. This typically makes the lerk back-off since it doesn't want to die.

The problem with halving speed/immobilizing is that it takes control away from the player which UWE doesn't want to happen. Plus it's just not fun to be the alien that has to deal with that crap.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I've always felt (regardless of the posts above me) that one or two lerks flying around a bunch of marines (especially bad marines like myself) is neigh impossible to kill regardless of a few sweet spot mines.

And even so - spending 15 res on 3 mines that may not (in my experience doesn't) kill them is a nice waste of pres when they really shouldn't get away with flying around 6 marines for twenty minutes, but they do.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Clearly you haven't seen floor-gliding lerks, not only do they avoid ceilingmines, but they are FCKIN FARST.
    The only way to roll, by facerolling literally!

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If you want to defend a doorway, 1 mine at the top of the doorway, 1 on the floor, and 1 on the side of the doorway. The lerk cannot get through (unless bad placement) without blowing at least one (usually more) and they do pretty good damage. This typically makes the lerk back-off since it doesn't want to die.

The problem with halving speed/immobilizing is that it takes control away from the player which UWE doesn't want to happen. Plus it's just not fun to be the alien that has to deal with that crap.

Like stomp? or Vortex?
    Like stomp? or Vortex?

Agreed
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members

well why not juts mess with their vision? both marine AND alien...to make it a bit more fair the blur will be like when a marine get bile bombed just transparent but misty a bit annoying for both sides
    Why would one side spend res on something that would hurt them?
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Why would one side spend res on something that would hurt them?
    balance it wont hurt them just mess with their vision no damage done
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    Weldable doors in the future will allow for a marine team to deny access to areas. If you've noticed, the devs have been steadily advancing on their refinement of changing map layouts, and I predict this is so that they are more used to making layouts that include more automatic doorways that, once implemented, will be weldable and have a large effect on area denial for the marine team much like the Gorge Clogs do for the alien team.

Although, this is a feature that has been, to say bluntly, back seated for a long, long time, so unless the Devs comment on it specifically soon, I doubt it might ever be implemented.