Oh man, arc. 4 minute win in round 4

1235»

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited April 2013
    Xao wrote: »
    fanatic wrote: »
    Because it isn't an advantage for Archaea.

uwot?

Name me a single other FPS tournament that allows mid game subs that anyone takes seriously...it doesn't happen for obvious reasons, you're not subbing 'cold' people you're subbing in fresh people. The timings of subs would only leverage the amount of potential abuse in any game, I'm not saying Archaea has broke any rules or anything and I think it's great as an organisation you guys all got to go down there and play (And as a spec to see Treff, Kor and Eagle getting out there making big plays) but it seems like one team got the real short end of the stick here and it's the first I've ever heard of subs being allowed in an offline FPS competition.
    I'm not sure what the actual tournament rules usually say, but I don't think there are many competitive games where you'd have much advantage from switching players. Playing on a high level relies so much on near perfected routines and unified team thinking that you're usually just better off having no subs. You simply gain so much more from the consistent lineup than you'd get out of fresh players or specialization.

I could see some slight advantage in NS2 as there's loads of asymmetry to generate variating player strenghts, but even then the benefits usually aren't that significant. Who gets to play marines first and jetlag play far, far bigger roles at any case.

I don't think mental stress plays such a big role as long as we are not talking about a marathon challenge. With 30 minute breaks between the rounds, it shouldn't be a factor at all.
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    Still no brackets or match results posted anywhere?
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    edited April 2013
    I'll clarify more when I'm at a computer but my situation was kind of unique I think, some of the other guys can chime in, I just was unlucky (plane broke in mid air, had to turn back). Will post more when I'm home.

Home now, clarifying: I had to work on Wednesday and I couldn't fly out until 10pm Wednesday night, I then didn't get in until 9pm Thursday night because of said plane issues. I did not sleep on the plane (I tried). I'm a very light sleeper so that factors into all of this. I was the last one to get in, a lot of the guys were in a lot earlier in the day, so we technically had ample time to rest and relax for the event. So let's stop the conversation about giving us more time, in general we had enough (just I didn't). So gliss and I then find out we are sharing a double bed. We attempted to make this work but both of us has issues sleeping. The rooms were very hot, and with the windows open the city was very loud. I did not sleep. I'm pretty sure Gliss didn't either (maybe a little?). By the time the event rolled around I was up from 8am est Wednesday to 2pm est Friday, 54 hours. With the lights on us, and the playing of the game and everything, I was completely exhausted and I feel like I played to maybe 75% of my ability.

Now other members of Nexzil may have had a different experience, they were able to leave earlier on Wednesday and sleep well enough. But I'd still say as a whole we were all pretty tired. Bitey may have been the only one with energy, but he did take energy pills. By the 3rd round both Virsoul and I were complaining of headaches.

Now with all that said I must reiterate that it was a great experience, Germany was neat, Arc is very good, and they are good guys. It was a pleasure meeting everything everyone, and this didn't really discourage us at all or anything like that, everyone still wants to play and continue onward.

We feel had we played to our potential, and how we usually play online, we would have put up a better fight. That's about it. No real complaints except for what everyone else is saying about the stream stuff.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Spektor56 wrote: »
    Still no brackets or match results posted anywhere?

http://www.ensl.org/contests/170