Uploading crosshair to workshop?

PolystigmaPolystigma Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184184Members
I have searched, but have not found info to answer my question to my understanding. In addition, I am new to this kind of work. Usually I can figure things out, but this has me stumped.

Created a custom crosshair with hit indicator. It works great for me. However, I wish to upload it to the workshop for others to enjoy.

Using the LaunchPad application, I click "Create Mod", name it, then select the output directory as C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\ui

Next I go to "Publisher", name it, upload a picture, and hit publish. In my steam workshop I do find my upload, but file size is HUGE.... like 32.00MB. Other peoples crosshairs in workshop are 0.019MB.

I subscribe to my upload in workshop, launch game, activate it in mods. Does not work in game, I still get the stock crosshairs.

The two files that make up the custom crosshair are .DDS files "crosshairs" and "crosshairs-hit". Both are located in my "ui" folder.
Is everything in the output directory I have chosen being uploaded to workshop? Would that explain why the file size is so big?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    The output directory is actually quite misleading, it needs to be linked up to the root directory of your mod, not the "output directory" in the NS2 folder" ie: my crosshair mod is located at

\Steam\SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\Kouji San's Crosshairs #2\
    ->.publish (created by launchpad)
    ->\ui\

Which is also the output directory for your mod.

You can edit these locations, using the xml located at "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2\Launch Pad\options.xml" (edit it with wordpad"), this way you don't have to delete->create a new mod.

----
    It's probably called "output directory" due to Builder.exe using that as the output folder when you're using that program to output the dds files from psd files. Builder uses the "\Steam\SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\src" folder for that stuff, I mostly use it for the level editor exclusively and handle the rest manually using the DDS plugin though, but it can indeed be used for models/sounds/dds files etc... as well...
  • PolystigmaPolystigma Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184184Members
    Not really sure where I am going wrong here.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Polystigma's Crosshair\.publish\ui

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Remove the ".publish\ui", so you're left with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Polystigma's Crosshair\"

I meant to show them as subfolders in your mod folder, perhaps a bit confusing :P The ".publish" folder will be automatically generated btw so you don't really have to create that one yourself.
    LOL I give up. Way too time consuming with no success.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    what the output folder does is give the game a relative location of where to the modded files replace the normal files.. so..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Polystigma's Crosshair\

is actually equal to (in the eyes of the launch pad)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\

so if you were to place a folder called /ui/ within "\Polystigma's Crosshair\" any files within the /ui/ folder will now replace any files continues within C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\ui\

so in the end if you're looking to mod your crosshairs you would end up with two files in the following locations within your mod folder...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Polystigma's Crosshair\ui\crosshairs.dds

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Polystigma's Crosshair\ui\crosshairs-hit.dds

I hope that clarifies a lil more.

the /.publish/ folder simply contains an xml file that stores mod information and no mod files should be placed within there.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Easy steps:
    • Make a folder ("Polystigma's Crosshair") in your \Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ directory
    • Create all the necessary subfolders for your mod to match the layout of the \Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\ directory (e.g. create a \Polystigma's Crosshair\ui\ subfolder)
    • Place the modded files in the respective subfolders (e.g. put the crosshairs.dds/crosshairs-hit.dds in \Polystigma's Crosshair\ui\)
    • Set the 'output directory' to your overall mod folder (e.g. \Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Polystigma's Crosshair\)
    • Hit publish
    edited April 2013
    Thank you everyone for the help. It is now working and in the shop.... finally. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139429377

In addition, any way to get rid of the old uploads from my mods menu? All the previous failed upload attempts show up there, even though subscribed says no.