Many little but significant changes that would go a long way...

RohanStanthejellymanRohanStanthejellyman Join Date: 2013-03-26 Member: 184445Members
After fully digesting this game after the 50 + game matches I've come to the conclusion that it would be highly advisable to have these changes:

1) Ability for gorges to make and move eggs. Getting egg locked because you start with a retarded hive that spawns the eggs right out in the hall way or under door is beyond silly

2) Give marines the ability to make blockades that have exact same stats as clogs only different shapes like just metal stockades etc

3) Fix the blast radius proper for mines and up the damage a bit. Also marines should be able to place them on infestation, if gorges can just rush into humie base and skank it up with hydras then this should be fair game

4) Fix weapon drops and put actual INDICATORS on it like how much ammo it has on it so I don't die by trying to brandish a new shiny weapon found laying around that's dry. Also have them stay longer

5) Marine weapons that fall on infestation get converted into small res

6) Fix camo, its just asinine to give Onises the same ease to cloak as you would a skulk. There should be significant differentials there. Also, aliens shouldn't be able to go back into cloak after being wreathed in flame

7) Alien whips and drifters should be able to use the gorge tunnels

8) Have various makes for different kinds of eggs. I'm disgusted by the banal cookie character styling of them currently

9) This is a rather unique idea I've had and would like to float: give skulks the ability to skulk on exos like actually cling to top or back of one gnawing at it and if the exo isn't a duely he can attempt to use his spare hand to get the skulk off and smash him

10) Flamers should burn infestation and dps of flames needs increase

11) Give the onis the ability to just trample sentrys and other small structures just like the exos can walk over the aliens hive egg supply like grapes

12) Make leap deal actual damage

13) Increase the cool down on blink

14) Decrease the range of stomp. should only take effect in close radius around onis and SHOULD NOT effect jet packed marines that went airborne above it

15) Give aliens an equivalent for arcs (and no its not bio bomb)

16) Increase the cost of Umbra

17) Funny little idea I had: give lerks ability to grab bio bombs shot from gorges in order bomb run bases in those tight situations where the gorges are too busy doing other things but you still need to bio bomb

18) Drifters need to be able to stimulate the hive some and perhaps give better production to eggs

19) Certain zoom functions would be nice

20) Give us the ability to elect new commanders so you don't get screwed by the dead weight or lame duck session time of a game. Granted doesn't mean you wont be screwed by the new commander but it lessens the chance that your team falls through because of the "who IS NAO GONA COMMAND?" conundrum

21) In the server listing menu make explicit the servers that have reserved slots so I'm not wasting time trying to fill last slots on servers only to get kicked immediately thereafter

... and that's all I can think of for now. Plenty more where that came from so stay tuned!

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Sorry, this isnt a image bourd. - GISP

sigh...fine

laughinggirls.jpg
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    18) Drifters need to be able to stimulate the hive some and perhaps give better production to eggs
    "Stimulate"....
  • AV_UltimaAV_Ultima Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64367Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    First off, 50 plus games is no were near the amount of experience needed to give accurate suggestions. I can tell you have NOT played the game enough because you spelled some tech incorrectly and suggested ideas that were already in the game.

1) A SHIFT hive, once researched, allows you to build shifts that allow you to make more eggs.

2) Marines sometimes use armories as pseudo-blockades. If you have played enough games, you would have at least played a few where a game goes on 30 minutes plus because of armory/robotics blockade. Giving the marines a larger incentive to play this turtle style does not help the game in anyway.

3) Mines can already kill skulks with one blast and do decent chip damage to everything else. Putting mines on infestation would be OP. Base rushing an alien hive would be significantly easier. Just imagine rushing into a base and putting mines around eggs as aliens spawn.

4) I have ran half-way across a map to reclaim my weapon; I think it stays long enough. I actually can not think of any game that tells you before hand if a weapon is full or not. Pick it up and hope it has ammo in the chamber. If not, attempt to reload and call for ammo.

5) Nah...

6) Upgrade like that needs to stay consistent with each alien. Perhaps explain how you would differentiate them.

7) Hmm... Why not?

8) Starcraft 2 does the same thing. I can think of multiple occasions where a caster has commented, "How do they fit those Ultralisks in those small eggs!" Although, I do support different looking hives.

9) Uh. You mean to make EXOs worse than they currently are? EXOs rotate similar to tanks, so if a skulk was perched on ones back, the EXO would need marine support. This seems interesting, but not a good idea.

10) This makes sense.

11) So you are saying "ONOS" should be able to smash arms labs or observatories? Onos can already destroy most small structures pretty quickly.

12) What?

13) Why?

14) Stomp range may currently be at a perfect distance. Also, you CAN dodge stomps by timing your jumps and flying...

15) Yes... "BILE" bomb absolutely DESTROYS buildings. In those 50 plus games, you never had two gorges run into your base and kill a few buildings before comm could react?

16) Why?

17) ...

18) Khamm can mist eggs to mature faster and build shifts, as mentioned, to spawn more eggs.

19) What?

20) Elaborate.

21) ... Wow! BEST IDEA EVER! Seriously... Makes me angry.

... and that's all I can think of for now. Plenty more where that came from so stay tuned!

Play the game more first...
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited April 2013
    After fully digesting this game after the 50 + game matches I've come to the conclusion that it would be highly advisable to have these changes:
    1) Ability for gorges to make and move eggs. Getting egg locked because you start with a retarded hive that spawns the eggs right out in the hall way or under door is beyond silly
    The Khamander can allready relocate buildings and stuff whit the shift upgrade. - Instantly. Prices might be alittle to high in my opinion, but the option is allready there.
    2) Give marines the ability to make blockades that have exact same stats as clogs only different shapes like just metal stockades etc
    Armories are "typicaly" used to block of areas. But its important to know that NS2 is a asymetric game, and having the same structures on both sides, are not something that is likely to be implimented
    3) Fix the blast radius proper for mines and up the damage a bit. Also marines should be able to place them on infestation, if gorges can just rush into humie base and skank it up with hydras then this should be fair game
    Just like Starcraft, creap or in this case Infestation, is a must for everything but gorge structures. You cannot like the marines build a forward base whitout bringing up the "goo". And would serve as a huge balance change if the marines could just build structures everywhere.
    4) Fix weapon drops and put actual INDICATORS on it like how much ammo it has on it so I don't die by trying to brandish a new shiny weapon found laying around that's dry. Also have them stay longer
    This would either require a total overhoul of UI and probaly allso gamecode tweaks, Or if you want to have it show if there is no ammo, a total rework of all the weapon models.
    edit: Ammo and a dropped weapon are completely separate. You can pick up an gun with zero ammo, because you also didn't pick up the ammo that was dispensed from it when the previous owner died with it. Or you picked up another ammo container from another like weapon that was left there too.
    5) Marine weapons that fall on infestation get converted into small res
    Are we talking to the marines or the aliens here? Anyways, this again would require alot of work to change the entire infestation mechanics, and how it behaves, nut just the weapon code. Not to talk about the differnce in fancy and light infestation grafics settings differenses.
    6) Fix camo, its just asinine to give Onises the same ease to cloak as you would a skulk. There should be significant differentials there. Also, aliens shouldn't be able to go back into cloak after being wreathed in flame
    Im fairly sure a cloaked unit or structure cant cloak when on fire.
    7) Alien whips and drifters should be able to use the gorge tunnels
    At the moment mappers are putting in meshes to indicate where NPCs can travil and where they cant. Implimenting this change would meen a total rework of not only the engine, but allso gamecode, mapping tools and all maps created up untill now.
    8) Have various makes for different kinds of eggs. I'm disgusted by the banal cookie character styling of them currently
    I know this is something that the devs do want to impliment, and is allready on the todo list - We will probaly see this in a future content patch.
    9) This is a rather unique idea I've had and would like to float: give skulks the ability to skulk on exos like actually cling to top or back of one gnawing at it and if the exo isn't a duely he can attempt to use his spare hand to get the skulk off and smash him
    Besides the large amount of exo animations needed to make this happin, do you realy want to be stationary as a skulk, for all the other marines to shot? - You want to keep mobile as a skulk.
    10) Flamers should burn infestation and dps of flames needs increase
    Flametrowers are allready buffed vs structures and as a sidebonus, depleats alien energi.
    11) Give the onis the ability to just trample sentrys and other small structures just like the exos can walk over the aliens hive egg supply like grapes
    Dont think its realy needed, it only takes a few hits to kill the battery, besides, such a change would allmost certainly make the allready expensive turretfarms 100% useless vs Oni.
    12) Make leap deal actual damage
    We have tryed that in the early alpha stages, but after alot of ballancing, found that people would spam that, instead of for instance parasite, or actualy biting. That said, NS1 had leap damage, and i miss it aswell :(
    13) Increase the cool down on blink
    Blinking costs alot of energi as it is now, and takes alot of skill to master. Nerfing blink any further would couse the fade to be far to exposed.
    14) Decrease the range of stomp. should only take effect in close radius around onis and SHOULD NOT effect jet packed marines that went airborne above it
    Stomp do not effect any airborne marines. (try jumping whitout one)
    15) Give aliens an equivalent for arcs (and no its not bio bomb)
    Again, its a asym game, and bilebombing is a close recemplance.
    16) Increase the cost of Umbra
    Umbra allso requires alot of energi, you cannot fly, spike and unbra and expect to the energi to keep up. And if a lerk is sitting still, shot it. Its vary squishy.
    17) Funny little idea I had: give lerks ability to grab bio bombs shot from gorges in order bomb run bases in those tight situations where the gorges are too busy doing other things but you still need to bio bomb
    bile bombs are a projectile, and would require compleat rework of the both the engine and game code, to change that.
    Shifts can spawn more eggs, not needed.
    19) Certain zoom functions would be nice
    NS2 is far to fastpaces and levels tightly packed to have a useable ironsight, or even be needed in such close quaters.
    20) Give us the ability to elect new commanders so you don't get screwed by the dead weight or lame duck session time of a game. Granted doesn't mean you wont be screwed by the new commander but it lessens the chance that your team falls through because of the "who IS NAO GONA COMMAND?" conundrum
    You can allways vote to kick the current commander, and instead of spending alot of time "electing" the new commander, he could just jump into the chair.
    21) In the server listing menu make explicit the servers that have reserved slots so I'm not wasting time trying to fill last slots on servers only to get kicked immediately thereafter
    A better and more userfriendly serverlist is on the drawing table, and will be implimented "soon".
    I hope you find my anwsers to your satisfaction. - GISP
    edited: corrected my statement for #4
  • RohanStanthejellymanRohanStanthejellyman Join Date: 2013-03-26 Member: 184445Members
    edited April 2013
    First off, 50 plus games is no were near the amount of experience needed to give accurate suggestions. I can tell you have NOT played the game enough because you spelled some tech incorrectly and suggested ideas that were already in the game.

Wow, great ad personam there, so because I want to toss up a list of suggestions on a moments notice in an off the cuff way and don't take like 20 or so mins to compile a list of simple suggestions I must be some 'nub' that has no exp and has not a clue as to what I say.

Oh great wonders you have truly hit the nail on the head. How could anyone possibly give riposte to such air tight logic! Deleted insulting stuff, no need for that here - GISP

You know I was going to actually expound on my ideas and devout more time trying to elaborate and enlighten some the gaming rabble on better ideas for the future of this. Perhaps even explain that the mechanic I proposed for selecting new commanders would be better because it wouldn't be singling out the guy who is already in and would instantly put them in the drivers seat to take over.

Another deleted insult - GISP [/orange]
  • AV_UltimaAV_Ultima Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64367Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I meant no disrespect. I was simply saying you should play the game more before throwing out ideas. Especially when some of your ideas are already in the game.

My first 50-100 games. Sure! I had some "awesome" ideas. But now that I have gotten more experience, most of those ideas have been forgotten because I now realize how silly they were. Not saying your ideas are absolutely silly; just play the game more so people will take you seriously and be open to your ideas.

Garner more experience so you can better understand what you are suggesting.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Most of the silly stuff aside...

I do agree we should add ammo text [Shotgun (8/32)] when you hover a dropped weapon. Considering the game has to know what instance of weapon is on the ground when it gets the text for it, I'm quite sure we could get the ammo count as well with little work.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bring back lerklift for bile bombing runs!