This game can use better quality textures...

TiesTorNTiesTorN Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171952Members
Seriously now... Isn't this a PC exclusive game? Then why the crappy textures? (ok I'm exeggarating it's not crappy but I see better quality textured console port games which I can't come to terms with)

I can swear some of those textures are 512x512 quality, and most of them are like 1024x1024 (just my observation)

I think most of the computers nowadays has enough ram and power to handle 2048x2048 textures all over the map anyway... Even if there are PCs which might be affected badly by this, at least there should be an option to enable it, this is a PC game after all and PC games are all about options.

I have a High-End PC and I'd like to see better textures for sure. And I'm sure developers has those textures, just not in the mood of putting it into game.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Care to post some screenshots of these shitty textures? I've yet to encounter any in this game.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Must be playing minecraft.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    I don't think you can name a lot of games (or any?) with as much high quality textures as NS2 have.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    This game needs more cowbell.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    TiesTorN wrote: »
    Seriously now... Isn't this a PC exclusive game? Then why the crappy textures? (ok I'm exeggarating it's not crappy but I see better quality textured console port games which I can't come to terms with)

I can swear some of those textures are 512x512 quality, and most of them are like 1024x1024 (just my observation)

I think most of the computers nowadays has enough ram and power to handle 2048x2048 textures all over the map anyway... Even if there are PCs which might be affected badly by this, at least there should be an option to enable it, this is a PC game after all and PC games are all about options.

I have a High-End PC and I'd like to see better textures for sure. And I'm sure developers has those textures, just not in the mood of putting it into game.
    No offense.. but..
    Are you kidding?

You might wish to double check your settings.. I don't think there's a single ported game out there that beats NS2's texture quality.
    In fact.. i challenge you to provide comparison screenshots. Even over 20 GB of "raw assets" from Bioshock Infinite barely get close enough in comparison..

Most games just fail miserably due to the RAM limitations of consoles.
    NS2 is one of the few games out there that dont have blurry/highly compressed textures??
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    i do have to agree that the textures are really good in this game. never found any blurry textures on the "high" settings. of course theyll look like crap when you play with the "low" settings, so you might want to check your settings first.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    ...Should have gone to Specsavers.
  • TiesTorNTiesTorN Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171952Members
    I've been playing games for more than 10 years and I have a system that most players are dreaming of (3770K & GTX Titan) so stop assuming things like I'm playing the game on low settings.

You can understand what I say if u come closer to certain surfaces in game and see it in detail.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    uninstall immediately. remove yourself quietly.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You can understand what I say if u come closer to certain surfaces in game and see it in detail.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    In fact.. i challenge you to provide comparison screenshots.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    My guess is this opinion is based on texture streaming, with some textures loading in slower in some instances? Or it could be chalked up to the FXAA, which tends to be a tiny bit more blurry than other AA types. However the textures are plenty in terms of sheer resolution on the High setting...
    FYI, most textures are 2048x2048 with the smaller textures ranking in the range of 1024x1024
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited May 2013
    NS2 has the best video game textures I've seen, with second being Bioshock: Infinite.
    edited April 2013
    In fact.. i challenge you to provide comparison screenshots.

Ok these are some of the parts I've been whining about... I already told I'm exaggerating but still... They could be better.

2013043000009.th.jpg 2013043000008.th.jpg 2013043000007.th.jpg
    2013043000006.th.jpg 2013043000005.th.jpg 2013043000004.th.jpg
    2013043000003a.th.jpg 2013043000002.th.jpg
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited April 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    My guess is this opinion is based on texture streaming, with some textures loading in slower in some instances? Or it could be chalked up to the FXAA, which tends to be a tiny bit more blurry than other AA types. However the textures are plenty in terms of sheer resolution on the High setting...
    FYI, most textures are 2048x2048 with the smaller textures ranking in the range of 1024x1024

Ahh I figured as much. I think the textures are good enough environment wise and map. But man the text/writing needs a bit of work. I wish all of the textures were 2048 though. 4096 super high res for everything pack? Pls

The text on some writing gets really blocky when you get close and it seems okay in other instances.

untitlsrs.jpg

untit111ed.jpg

vs

unt111i11t.jpg

unti11t1le.jpg

Ok... These are some of the parts I've been whining about. I already stated that I'm exaggareting but still... They could be better, right?

2013043000009.th.jpg 2013043000008.th.jpg 2013043000007.th.jpg
    2013043000006.th.jpg 2013043000005.th.jpg 2013043000004.th.jpg
    2013043000003a.th.jpg 2013043000002.th.jpg
    And the comparison shots to a ported game besides infinite?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I want Crysis 3 textures in ALL my games too!

P.S. You have a 400$ CPU and a 1000$ GPU. I wouldn't consider that a dream PC. Shoot higher bud.
    So you have what? 2x-3x Titans in SLI ?
    I don't need to compare to anything, you can see by experience the crappy parts on the pictures. That is of course if you didn't start playing PC games yesterday.
    The entire premise of your thread:
    I see better quality textured console port games which I can't come to terms with

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013

Only 40% of the Steam users have more than 4 GB RAM. That's not "most of the computers". Less than 30% have more than 1 GB VRAM. 65% have a 64 bit OS. Since NS2 is not a DX10+ game at the moment, that means that VRAM takes up normal RAM in equal parts if you are running the game on a 32 bit OS.

If they provide the option for higher texture resolutions, that still means that the base texture has to be delivered in the highest quality setting and is then sampled down to whatever quality setting the player is using. Which means that even if I am not going to use those super high res textures, I still have to download them when downloading the game and updates.

Not sure if you are just ignorant with your insinuations or just a troll. Your post lost a lot of credibility with that line, though.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if there are any console games that have better textures than NS2... NS2's textures are fucking awesome for the most part. When you get up close and look at the fine details, there's some blurring, sure. But unless you've got your nosed pressed up to the wall while you're playing, it's not anything that's even noticeable during gameplay imo. It might be a little more noticeable if you do a lot of skulking and don't play with alien vision on, but Ns2 is actually a beautiful looking game with everything turned up imo. I just wish my PC could run it well on anything but the lowest settings xD

But you can't really look at this picture and say that you don't understand what he's talking about.. that's pretty damn ugly imo.

*edit*

Oooooh, this is one of those threads that gets ninja killed and can't be bumped xD
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know if there are any console games that have better textures than NS2... NS2's textures are fucking awesome for the most part. When you get up close and look at the fine details, there's some blurring, sure. But unless you've got your nosed pressed up to the wall while you're playing, it's not anything that's even noticeable during gameplay imo. It might be a little more noticeable if you do a lot of skulking and don't play with alien vision on, but Ns2 is actually a beautiful looking game with everything turned up imo. I just wish my PC could run it well on anything but the lowest settings xD

But you can't really look at this picture and say that you don't understand what he's talking about.. that's pretty damn ugly imo.

*edit*

Oooooh, this is one of those threads that gets ninja killed and can't be bumped xD
    Ninja killed? interesting
    :(|)
    Having enough "disagrees" on your thread or post will enact the social functions of Vanilla forums and it will "sink" a thread or post.. Meaning further posting won't bring it back to the top of the threads. Or in the case of posts, hide it.
    This is an automatic system, just fyi.
    edited May 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Not sure if you are just ignorant with your insinuations or just a troll. Your post lost a lot of credibility with that line, though.

And why is that? I wrote that because I know that every developer first makes higher quality textures and then resizes them to a smaller resolution version, isn't that right?

For being a troll and losing credibility; I can say the same thing for you, what are you trying to prove with putting that stupid steam chart here? That thing contains EVERY system that steam has ever installed to, which btw nowadays almost every PC has steam installed whether they are playing games or not. Even the oldest laptops in offices has steam installed just to make people talk to their friends. So that chart is almost useless. People who are actually playing has much better systems than those charts.

Anyway I wrote my thoughts and I put some SS which are clearly containing bad textures to back it up, whether you are capable of understanding what I'm saying or being a fanboy and ignoring is up to you guys... I've been playing this game since NS1 and I love it so please don't have any misunderstandings there... I just want to see a game that I love to be made better, especially when it is a PC Exclusive.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So you have what? 2x-3x Titans in SLI ?
    I don't need to compare to anything, you can see by experience the crappy parts on the pictures. That is of course if you didn't start playing PC games yesterday.
    Some specific prop/model textures could be better on 'high', but I find the overall average quality of NS2 textures to be much better than most PC and console games. Also, it'd be good if you posted some pics of what you'd consider 'good' texture quality from other games so we better understand what you feel is the Gold Standard for PC gaming textures.
    Nobody said it is worse than every game anyway, I don't think you guys really read my post... I just said there are some better textured games (like bioshock infinite, or hitman absolution, or max payne 3... and other games when you mod them, like Skyrim and Crysis series) I can't post pics cuz those games are not installed in my computer right now.

I do agree NS2 is better overall then most of the games but that doesn't mean it is perfect. I think you people are so used to crappy textures because of the consoles in the last years, you can't even comprehend what is good or not anymore :D you're just trying to burn me without even reading what I'm trying to say... pity... I give up.

There are actually some people who understood what I'm trying to show, for that I thank them.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I suggets you read your own OP again and see for yourself what you wrote. Most of that was rubbish and has been debunked.

While it is a fact that some textures are blurry in NS2, most are very crisp. Furthermore, resolution isn't everything. Just like the overall art direction, the design and consistency of the textures is amazing. They aren't distracting when you have to concentrate on combat while still being interesting and telling a story when taking a closer look.

Just take a look at the lockers in locker room (only works with texture quality on high though).
    Max Payne, bioshock infinite, and hitman absolution are not ports.
    And Two of those are played in 3rd person, effecting the average distance to objects and therefore textures, in the world. And one i can provide waaay more screen shots of low quality textures than you can of ns2, guaranteed.

I still don't believe you've proven your point.
    You found a few *comparitively* low resolution textures in a multiplayer pc game that primarily uses 2048 resolution textures, I'll give you that.

But your original claim of ports having better textures I still don't agree with. And i dont see proof. ;)
    Every one of the games which are multi platform are ports, period.

I've seen 2048x2048 textures several times before on modded games and I'm saying that NS2 doesn't use 2048x2048 on most areas.