Don't know how to make Skins anymore...

Gold1Gold1 Join Date: 2012-12-03 Member: 174022Members
I have already made a bunch of stuff in the previous versions of NS2 (like Far Cry 3 tattoo...) and it was pretty easy and simple. But now I tried creating another custom skin for my rifle... and it just doesn't work. No idea why.

I created a folder with the new LaunchPad, went into source-> modelsrc, created a marine folder, then rifle folder and put all the correct files in there.
When I test the mod through LaunchPad it works. But when I try to activate it by subscribing to it, it doesn't.
Any idea what is going on? Is there maybe an activation process I am not aware of ?

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Run the builder and build it, if it's already in .dds format you can skip this and put your files in the output folder (treating the output folder like you'd treat your old mod folder, ie. it needs a materials\ folder or whatever).
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Gold1 wrote: »
    When I test the mod through LaunchPad it works. But when I try to activate it by subscribing to it, it doesn't. <br />
    Any idea what is going on? Is there maybe an activation process I am not aware of ?
    I know of problems loading maps if the mod is set to private. To make it work you have to make the mod public (which is really bad imho). Maybe the same problem applies to your skin mod, too.
  • Gold1Gold1 Join Date: 2012-12-03 Member: 174022Members
    edited May 2013

Mendasp said:
    Run the builder and build it, if it's already in .dds format you can skip this and put your files in the output folder (treating the output folder like you'd treat your old mod folder, ie. it needs a materials\ folder or whatever).
    Yeah, I know the whole file types thingy. The builders converts my PSD files to DDS. I don't think it would have worked through the LaunchPad testing otherwise.

Hypergrip said:
    I know of problems loading maps if the mod is set to private. To make it work you have to make the mod public (which is really bad imho). Maybe the same problem applies to your skin mod, too.
    Huh? Well if that is so, then that is really bad. It is basically saying that I am not allowed to make private mods...

Okay, I opened the console when loading a game and it appears my skins are failing the consistency check. What can I do about that ? What is, essentially, the consistency check? What is it for ?
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    edited May 2013
    The game check consistency of files to prevent cheating. dds files were added (in build 246 I think) to consistency checking due to a huge number of fluorescent aliens mods (which cause balance problems).
    Ok, Mendasp and Max here convinced me. New default: "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.level", "*.dds", "*.jpg", "*.png", "*.cinematic", "*.material", "*.model", "*.animation_graph", "*.polygons", "*.fev", "*.fsb" ], "ignore": [ "ui/*.dds", "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model" ] This will check everything except textures inside the UI directory and all view model assets. Again, this is simply the default. It can be configured in anyway the server op wishes.
  • SkulkittoMeSkulkittoMe Join Date: 2013-05-04 Member: 185115Members
    If it's failing the consistency check, it means whatever you modded is different from what the server expects and thus disables your mod so that the default texture will load. Doesn't necessarily mean someone was attempting to cheat, like in your case here (fc3 tattoo included).
    Well I figured out what was the problem -
    what failed the consistency check was the game_setup.xml file that is created automatically with the new Launchpad. So I just deleted that and now it works. A really silly reason...