New Launchpad/Builder...

StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
I don't get how this works now.

I compile something and it puts it into the output folder. Now I have to copy & paste it to steamapps/ns2?

Comments

• HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited May 2013
    In general you should not copy your mod files directly into the /ns2/ directory to keep a "clean base".
    The best practice would be to:
    1.) Create all your stuff and put it into the /source/ subfolders of your mod directory.
    2.) use builder to copy/convert all the files from your /[mod_folder]/source/ subfolders into the corresponding output folders.
    3.) Publish your mod using Launch Pad.
    4.) Subscribe to your mod via the Steam Workshop.

However, currently there seem to be problems with testing mods that are set to private ("file not found" errors, etc.), so I must admit that for testing purposes I copy the files from my output subfolders into the /ns2/ subfolders, so I don't have to publically release a completely broken alpha version of a map in order to test it...

Also, see: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2115684/#Comment_2115684 (similar question in the mapping subforum)
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    It makes sense now. The problem was that I wasn't planning on publishing to Steam, so I wondered to get models into Spark. I guess we just copy & paste them to test.
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Yeah, I wish there was a way to do something like "mount local mod", where you'd simply specifiy the path to your mod's output folder and the game will then treat it just like the Workshop mods until you exit the game. Maybe some day...
  • ArtfunkelArtfunkel Join Date: 2013-05-10 Member: 185184Members
    edited May 2013
    There is: -game "<path to output dir>"
    Thanks! The more you know...