Bring back HMG

NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
Already possible image

Major disappointment since i got NS2, due the fact exos are useless in advancing solo where as a jetpack with hmg can easily reach hive and also does damage to fades/onos. with hmg, it may have slow reloading time but it's power burst of bullets perpetrating lerks,fades,onos's fat asses within seconds. no more lame "i walk 5 miles per minute heavy exos with overheating dildos.

Comments

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chikun said:
    Five miles in a minute is pretty damn fast.
    He must be talking about the balance mod.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    You do know that everything you said is the reason why it's not in the game? Exos aren't supposed to be solo and marines aren't supposed to be able to go Rambo and solo every type of alien...
    Yeah, but exos are also not even remotely viable in 6v6 play and there are often occasions where you would want to send 4 marines to pressure one hive while sending another to shoot down upgrades/rt's. The HMG would be pretty sweet, imo. Or a portable railgun xD

Zek said:
    Chikun said:
    Five miles in a minute is pretty damn fast.
    He must be talking about the balance mod.

I was assuming it was a typo and he meant 5 miles per hour, which sounds about right to me as an estimate of the dualie's speed.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    An Atrox player, of all people, saying exos aren't viable in 6v6? :p
  • baconbitsbaconbits Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180124Members
    He's right, in a way. The game should include more weapons like that hmg. We're not all shotgun pros. How bout plasma/laser rifles etc. it should be balanced tho.

Exos are awesome and the new railgun is a lot of fun especially. It has more movement speed & jet fuel and longer range.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I don't think it would work again, tbh. It's VERY easy to counter, especially after you've seen it once or twice. Also, the only reason it worked at all is because we did a rush to get them up as fast as possible. I think the tech was finished in ~5 minutes or something xD
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    Railgun exos are not viable in 6s? why not?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is what I thought. Atrox is the clan that showed it was possible, but only if you can aim like a mother f....
    edited May 2013
    Radman said:
    Railgun exos are not viable in 6s? why not?
    Expensive, slow, can't be beaconed, can't phase, don't do enough DPS to structures. They're great for killing fades but in order to get them out fast enough to be useful against the fades, you have to forgo things like weapon upgrades and shotguns. Overall, upgrades + shotguns + JP is better in nearly every way, and you don't have to rush for the jetpacks the way you have to rush for the exos. A portable minigun or railgun would both be awesome, though. Obviously they couldn't be as strong as their exo counterparts, or maybe give them the same potential DPS but give them less damage per shot and a faster ROF/higher spread so they'd take more skill to use.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I don't think it would work again, tbh. It's VERY easy to counter, especially after you've seen it once or twice. Also, the only reason it worked at all is because we did a rush to get them up as fast as possible. I think the tech was finished in ~5 minutes or something xD
    Yeah, I was really just joking. Other than a rush exos aren't viable in the slightest. It would be pretty awesome to have the HMG though, I think it could potentially work pretty well
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Exos are neither fun to play as nor fun to fight and in my humble opinion add very little to the game.
    3<<3<3<3

I prefered when heavies and HMG weren't put together. Way more fun. But since exo suit exist I would completely remove them from the game either :/.
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    fades would be too easy to kill with hmg right now. I actually only want to see hmg to have an effective counter against onos
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Although I found the HMG to be overpowered I think the implementation of exos was really a missed opportunity in re-creating and furthering the variety that was present in ns1 weapon/armor module combinations

ns1:

JP + lmg
    JP + SG
    JP + GL
    JP + HMG

HA + lmg
    HA + SG
    HA + GL
    HA + HMG

Not to mention welders

In ns2 there's variety in the weapon choice with JP but the exo just destroys a lot of the weapon/module combinations. 

Could've had:

HA + lmg
    HA + SG
    HA + GL
    HA + HMG
    HA + FT
    HA + RG

Instead we have exosuits that feel out of place in the game, with zero modularity and not even the ability to upgrade from single to dual weapon. 
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited May 2013
    There is only one John Rambo and Ellen Ripley and you are neither.
    i am there luvchild

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd rather see an upgrade to LMG to make it piercing damage (Uranium Ammo)

Buy it to change the bullet type for 5-10 Pres

Obvious trade off is that the LMG would not be able to take down structures for better lifeform killing power

No flat upgrades

No single gun that is better at everything in every situation

Everyone wins.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Scatter said:
    Although I found the HMG to be overpowered I think the implementation of exos was really a missed opportunity in re-creating and furthering the variety that was present in ns1 weapon/armor module combinations

ns1:

JP + lmg
    JP + SG
    JP + GL
    JP + HMG

HA + lmg
    HA + SG
    HA + GL
    HA + HMG

Not to mention welders

In ns2 there's variety in the weapon choice with JP but the exo just destroys a lot of the weapon/module combinations. 

Could've had:

HA + lmg
    HA + SG
    HA + GL
    HA + HMG
    HA + FT
    HA + RG

Instead we have exosuits that feel out of place in the game, with zero modularity and not even the ability to upgrade from single to dual weapon. 
    Implying there was any combination other than HA + HMG.
    Implying there was any combination other than JP + HMG or JP + Shotgun.
    Implying it was anything more than a missed opportunity to recreate NS1.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Implying that you are anything but a miserable carnt.

ps Hi Ironhorse
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Scatter said:
    Implying that you are anything but a miserable carnt.

ps Hi Ironhorse
    Don't be sour just because its true.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    edited May 2013
    Exos are so incredibly inflexible, aliens can completely out-maneuver them and it's why most games turn into base trades if you have a significant number of exos (and who wants to sit in base defending when it's more fun killing stuff).

HMG would throw the balance of the game too much, it would be easier to use static exos like in last stand. 1 exo per base that can be bought alongside regular exos, but players can jump in and out. Would probably need to give it a few seconds warm-up time once a player jumps in so people don't just use it to kill the odd skulk.

I would love to see HMG - I'm not sure what you would balance it with though, focus?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Implying there was any combination other than HA + HMG.
    Implying there was any combination other than JP + HMG or JP + Shotgun.
    Implying it was anything more than a missed opportunity to recreate NS1.

EDIT: So this doesn't get deleted with "This is not an image board -GISP" I'll add some content.

The HMG probably doesn't have a place in NS2 without modifying other values such as fade health as it would destroy, EVERYTHING.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow

LOLz 5 miles per minute, that be 300 miles per hour, must be a speed hax0r!!1!!1

Seriously though, I dont see use for a HMG in this game as it stands. The marines have a counter for everything and the game is pretty balanced as it is. To bring the HMG in whould require a whole lot of time for testing and changing so much (i.e. Other wepons damage, Aliens HP/armour, structure hp/armour etc.) to make sure the game is still balanced and still fun to play without breaking it. Quite frankly, the HMG is there for a niche that has already been filled. So no, please don't bring it back.

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Balanced properly I don't see how adding another weapon can hurt the game. More options the better assuming they are good options. Marines have no choice outside shotguns for general combat that aren't highly situational. 
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited May 2013
    current1y said:
    Balanced properly I don't see how adding another weapon can hurt the game. More options the better assuming they are good options. Marines have no choice outside shotguns for general combat that aren't highly situational. 

Jekt said:
    An alternative to the shotgun would be nice. 

Pretty much. When it comes down to it shotgun is end game material. LMG is good and all but you will be hard pressed to win end games with only lmgs. And we all know FT and GL are laughable when considering their prices and what they can actually do. HMG would bring some nice variety and it should be interesting to see how teams decide on the HMG/SG ratio for squads. It does not have to be ridiculously OP and I am sure UWE has a good idea of how to handle it. Well tbh I would take any viable new weapon considering what we currently have. Since NS2 is futuristic they could pretty much introduce unique weapons (in non exo form) that goes outside the norm.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Just wanted to point out that FT is a viable option once W3 and JP are researched, have 1 to support a JP SG squad or an arc train can be invaluable for countering spore/umbra as well as draining gorges and fades. It still can do a decent job at taking down onos (once again, with W3 and JP) if he isn't guarded by fades and lerks.

HMG would make LMG obsolete, which is why it wouldn't fit in NS2. I think the next update may include new Marine toys similar to Gorgeous, but it's just a hunch.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The FT no longer drains energy, it only slows it's regeneration.