omg balance test skulk i'm quitting ns2 forever!!

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
And that my friends is a grabber intro, thanks school

Ok, so this has been a major discussion about the balance test (instead of all the other wonderful changes the mod itself brings to the table) so I'm going to pretty much end this all right here

The issue a few players seem to have with the movement is that it requires strafing, which is A/D with mouse movement. However recently this was changed so that strafing is not as important of a factor (It's still there though, for those who can) and now you can pretty much gain these new speeds to an extent without this strafing. So literally all this requires (same as vanilla skulk) is your W key, spacebar, and turning your mouse as if you were aiming or looking around a corner..sounds too good to be true? Well it's not

Here is wonderful video proof: click me please (if you click with your middle scroll wheel, it will open this link in a new tab instead of changing your current tab to youtube! #protips

You can stop watching at 1:30~ once you see you can obtain both skulk sounds without strafing, just jumping and turning your mouse (if it was a straight away you wouldn't even need to turn the mouse)

So hope this puts an end to this, sorry for another thread on it. Now please lets return to the balance test thread and continue discussing other important changes that this mod brings to the table. Also if you're still against this mechanic, please discuss there as to what you'd want as an alternative.. cause in my opinion the vanilla skulk requires a change. Any other legitimate concerns about the movement can also be posted there, but enough about it requiring a magical ability that only so few players can do

Also you can see the rest of the movement tutorials for BT here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130369/video-tutorial-balance-testing-skulk-fade-movement-beginner-to-advanced/p1 (sorry had to self advertise)

Have a nice day everyone

-ezek

Comments

• bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    I'm going to pretty much end this all right here

no you aren't because
    A/D with mouse movement ... is ... still there though
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I've been trying to take a SS of a full BT mod server for the last week to troll someone but I haven't been able to, why do all these BT nerds think a game mode that can't even fill a server now is somehow going to resurrect NS2 competitively and publicly?
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Lol Ezekel, Don't even worry about it mate. Let noobs be noobs
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A leaving thread? I didn't know you were Australian ezekel. :)
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    That looks so much better than what we have now. Looking forward to the better movement
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    LMAO scardy.

Up yours mate.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    I don't understand what's wrong with the current movement system so I can't really support any changes. I played NS for a long time and i've used bunny hopping in more than one game and I don't think it's something that will make NS2 a better game.

Flame away my friends.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    Xao wrote: »
    I've been trying to take a SS of a full BT mod server for the last week to troll someone but I haven't been able to, why do all these BT nerds think a game mode that can't even fill a server now is somehow going to resurrect NS2 competitively and publicly?

Because it makes gameplay a lot more enjoyable, thus probably increasing the player retention rate. This on top of lowering the skill floor in regards to some lifeforms.
    Also, the BT mod is about a lot more than just bunnyhopping. To be fair, bunnyhopping is not even the most important part as far as I'm concerned.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Understand that some folks may not feel very warm towards having to completely re-learn how to play the skulk.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CD121 wrote: »
    Understand that some folks may not feel very warm towards having to completely re-learn how to play the skulk.

Not only this, but they're trying to sell it as bunnyhopping and it's just really... not.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    It's funny because percentage wise, Australians openly admit they're leaving the game rather than silently stopping leaving the devs scratching their heads.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Did we REALLY need another thread for this?
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Would love to see this in ns2. Been strafe / circle jumping since quake2.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I have no problem with the current vanilla Skulk movement and I'm actually pretty good at the current wall jump mechanic. However, this new movement method looks really cool and I'm looking forward to it. I've always enjoyed the bunny hopping mechanic where you hold A while turning left and hold D while turning right (as seen in many GoldSrc and Source engine games).

I haven't played on a Balance Test server and I haven't been reading the main discussion thread about it so this is the first time I'm hearing about this change. It seems like the ultimate merging of old-school bunny hopping with the newer wall jump system and the audio cues sound great.

I'm not sure if the video clarified this, though: Do you need to hold W once you've got your left-right bunny hopping "wave" going? Because you don't have to hold W in games like Half-Life Deathmatch, CPMA, or NS1.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Holding W doesn't make any difference. The game ignores the forward key if you're holding strafe while in the air to make things easier for people new to bunny hopping.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    biz wrote: »
    I'm going to pretty much end this all right here

no you aren't because
    A/D with mouse movement ... is ... still there though

It's there for the people who can, just like how the current vanilla fade is there for the people who can; compare the best competitive fades you've seen to a regular fade, you'll notice that the public players have a hard time utilizing it and do things like come at you in a straight line, so you can pretty much solo them with a lvl 1-2 shotgun especially if your com just medpacks you. Essentially this raises the skill floor and ceiling at the same time
    Xao wrote: »

I've been on a full BT server for more than 6 hours straight, that was the NA one, I've seen a euro one full for 10 hours straight; maybe you're just going online at times when people aren't playing?
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    A leaving thread? I didn't know you were Australian ezekel. :)

I guess this would be funny if I understood it :l
    wiry wrote: »
    It isn't even bunnyhopping..

This, sorry for labeling it as that if I did anywhere; it's wall hopping

Because it makes gameplay a lot more enjoyable, thus probably increasing the player retention rate. This on top of lowering the skill floor in regards to some lifeforms.
    Also, the BT mod is about a lot more than just bunnyhopping. To be fair, bunnyhopping is not even the most important part as far as I'm concerned.
    [/quote]

Also this, there's so many changes and people are so focused on this one change (I mean I think it's a big concern but lets have more legitimate concerns about it, such as)

1) Being able to reach RTs too quick

2) No punishment for over extending

3) Early map denying

As of now say you have a lone marine going to build, and he gets a two-three rush, it's going to be that much more difficult to stop that and this can cause early game domination; he'll have less time to shoot and a faster moving target means more bullets wasted/missed

edit: You can only assume the above when you're facing a full team of people who can fully utilize this mechanic

Weird.. cause I just showed a video that the skulk is the same exact one we have in vanilla... only difference is now it actually gains speed from chaining the wall jumps, and for those who want to further that skill can combine it with strafing
    Did we REALLY need another thread for this?

of course, it gets attention
    Agiel wrote: »
    Holding W doesn't make any difference. The game ignores the forward key if you're holding strafe while in the air to make things easier for people new to bunny hopping.

I recommend holding W because if you ever lose momentum you'll keep moving forward
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you understand the vanilla skulk movement, there is hardly anything new to learn to effectively get around the map in BT. You still glance off of walls to gain speed and jump to maintain the momentum.

And there were 3 active BT servers last time I looked at the server browser.
    Jekt wrote: »
    If you understand the vanilla skulk movement, there is hardly anything new to learn to effectively get around the map in BT. You still glance off of walls to gain speed and jump to maintain the momentum.

And there were 3 active BT servers last time I looked at the server browser.

the lag master has spoken!!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The game still needs to be balanced for those of us who can get to just outside marine base in 5 seconds flat versus those who can't master 'bunnyhopping that isn't bunnyhopping but is trying really hard to be bunnyhopping.'

I really wish I was more imaginative, because I think this is a bad solution to a real problem that would benefit from a more imaginative, intuitive and lore-fitting alternative.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    The game still needs to be balanced for those of us who can get to just outside marine base in 5 seconds flat versus those who can't master 'bunnyhopping that isn't bunnyhopping but is trying really hard to be bunnyhopping.'

I really wish I was more imaginative, because I think this is a bad solution to a real problem that would benefit from a more imaginative, intuitive and lore-fitting alternative.

I get your point, but it's not trying to be bunny hopping; sewlek is some magical person who coded the stuff into the game and can change how it works and stuff, if you've played BT for the last month even you'll see it changed constantly.. Anyway it's literally a wall hop mechanic now, you just have the option of strafing to further your wiggle room and increase speeds

But I made this topic for the sole purpose of arguing about this feature, so that the BT thread can really remain about the list of changes that BT brings; because there's so many things and only this one part is being argued about in some places :D
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Didn't mean you personally ezekel with my comment, but it seems a lot of people are confused and don't actually know what bhoping is.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited May 2013
    I actually agree on a new topic as much of the dislike is on this specific topic.
    I should know, I help with shouting the dislike. haha :)

I will test both variants today again ezekel, and get back on this. But from reading it sounds already better in terms of us humans pressing buttons.
    W+mouse+jump is for some a lot more managable then w+mouse+strafekeysx2+jump.

I still think we need a incombat travel for while we are in well.. combat.. but it just struck me.. Does old walljump still work?
    Because if it does, the incombat part may be fine. hmm, must test.

>Also I know perfectly fine what bhop is. with practise I could probably do it again, but I just so hate the mechanic<

>edit 2.

Ok so I find it hard because you lose speed if you make your mouse swing to wide. back from bhop im used to doing just that. (not sure if that was smart, but thats how I did it)
    Now I do not mind a less wide swing. Just takes more time to adjust. :)

1) As for hopping with strafekeys. if I do not use forward I find it easier to gain speed but as you stated.. if you for some reason slow down, you lose all momentum.
    2) Using forward key is yet another key to use, and pushes me over the limit I can simultanously contiously manage easy, thus I lose less speed when screwing up, but screw up a lot more and gain less speed to begin with.
    Since we have both options this is just a personal problem I would think.

Option 3 by only using forward and mouse would probably be the best option to use. yet for some reason I fail to grab or maintain any speed on this. I use the same mouse swings I do on the other options, probably a bit better as I got more focus left since I have less keys to manage. But it just will not buildup speed.
    Using leap to gain momentum works, but I manage to blow this momentum within 1 hop.
    Surely I am doing something wrong in option3, but I simply can not find out yet what.

I manage to get up to 8, sometimes 9 speed with option 1 and 2. I can sometimes go to sound 2 if I put in leaps.
    I am sure i will get better in time, but I still find the whole technique a detestable thing.

its not worth mentioning my speed on option 3, it blows. And I really want to know why.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members

Maybe UWE can buy some violins for them.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Option 3 by only using forward and mouse would probably be the best option to use. yet for some reason I fail to grab or maintain any speed on this. I use the same mouse swings I do on the other options, probably a bit better as I got more focus left since I have less keys to manage. But it just will not buildup speed.
    Using leap to gain momentum works, but I manage to blow this momentum within 1 hop.
    Surely I am doing something wrong in option3, but I simply can not find out yet what.

I manage to get up to 8, sometimes 9 speed with option 1 and 2. I can sometimes go to sound 2 if I put in leaps.
    I am sure i will get better in time, but I still find the whole technique a detestable thing.

its not worth mentioning my speed on option 3, it blows. And I really want to know why.
    Using only forward will not allow you to gain any speed from swinging the mouse left and right. You need to use the strafe keys for that (watch ezekel's videos). Also, the point me and others have been trying to make in these threads is that bunny hopping is not the main method to gain speed; wall jumping is. You then use bunny hopping to maintain and (when done right) build upon that speed.

Here's how I prefer to look at it and how I would teach the movement to a new player:

Step 1: Jump around the map using only the forward key.
    Step 2: Start wall jumping to build speed. Keep jumping to avoid losing speed to ground friction.
    Step 3: Start using the strafe keys to avoid losing speed when taking turns.
    Step 4: Use strafe keys and move in a serpentine fashon to build even more speed between wall jumps.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    ... to clarify:

If some people don't like the new movement method - or anything else new about the game - simply because they don't like it, well, that's one thing and perfectly understandable. Every change will be thought of as an improvement by some and a step backwards by others and that's really just a matter of preference.

But if you don't like a change because you'll have to learn something new then I have no sympathy for you, especially if you stake some measure of your self-respect on your supposed skill at video games.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All I can say is..

Why does turning left an right make you go faster from a logic standpoint? It just looks sooooo dumb to have your view swinging back and forth just to go faster imho.

I don't care about having to learn something new, but I do care that 1) could lead to some people getting motion sick while playing the game and 2) forcing people to do odd movement to become better at the game. I don't know exactly how bunny hopping worked/works (but from what I understand, this looks pretty close), but just because something has become "standard" in a different game doesn't mean that every game needs to have that same mechanic. Why not come up with some new and interesting ideas for movement instead of re-hashing the same old thing.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    All I can say is..

Why does turning left an right make you go faster from a logic standpoint? It just looks sooooo dumb to have your view swinging back and forth just to go faster imho.

Well, the original reason was because of the way you could exploit the physics engine and the way it limited your speed to a cap.