Anyone crashing often?

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
Just wondering I seem to be crashing very often, I submit the crash log everytime though

Happens anywhere, any map, randomly; feels like it always occurs when I'm checking scoreboard or using voice com, and alt tabbing (however even if I never alt tab) I'll still crash

Comments

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Yep, been crashing since.... 246? Annoying.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    get those dump files :)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    get those dump files :)

i report whatever it asks for when i crash, is there more?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes.
    If NS2 crashes, do not close any windows, even if its a black screen or error. Navigate to your NS2 install folder and run techsupport.exe. This will make a potentially large dump file (inside the zip that techsupport.exe makes, there will be a folder called "minidump") that you can then upload to somewhere online (like Drop box) and provide a link to it in here or to a dev. This dump file is the fastest, most accurate method to catch a crash!
    Yes.
    If NS2 crashes, do not close any windows, even if its a black screen or error. Navigate to your NS2 install folder and run techsupport.exe. This will make a potentially large dump file (inside the zip that techsupport.exe makes, there will be a folder called "minidump") that you can then upload to somewhere online (like Drop box) and provide a link to it in here or to a dev. This dump file is the fastest, most accurate method to catch a crash!

k cool i'll post like three probably when i play tonight; is opening task manager and creating a dump file of ns2.exe the same thing?
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    edited May 2013
    I crash a lot too since a few patchs. I'm not sure but I think it's always when I'm in an exo (or dead, spectator into an exo view)
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Me too. I crash on map change, visual C++ crashes, crash when I fire the minigun and dbl minigun for too long and i bet on a few other occasions as well. Whenever there were people with crashes after a new build, you can bet that I was one of them. Ns2 seems to hate me...
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to the club. I think I remember you from another topic where we had the same problem. Checkerboards maybe ?
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've seen some people crashing quite often, but I must be lucky as my game hasn't crashed since 243 on patch day.
    ezekel wrote: »
    Yes.

k cool i'll post like three probably when i play tonight; is opening task manager and creating a dump file of ns2.exe the same thing?
    Nooo its not.
    Only use the techsupport.exe version, as the 64 bit task manager is the only one useful and is hidden in your system and even then isn't as good as this one, size wise.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    The cause of most of my crashes seemed to be the TeamSpeak Overlay, also creates serious input lag too.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Try and avoid overlays when you can, always negatively affect gameplay.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    been crashing every few games now from maybe 3-4 patches ago, quite annoying ill get dump on next crash
    edited May 2013
    Yes, checkerboards...
    Forgot to mention that the game also crashes when I want to exit it. Press exit -> crash.

edit: I even crashed once when my babblers hatched. And from time to time when I attack something as onos. Effects/cinematics could be the culprits...
    I played this afternoon and avoid to use exo. No problem. That might be the source of the crash for me.
    Get me dump files!
    :-P
    Ok I just tried to confirm and this is it : I played several hours withoud any problem, then I took an exo and after a few shot : crash.
    Get me dump files!
    :-P

Haven't played recently, hopefully this week

edited May 2013
    I can't launch techsupport.exe when the game crash, any windows stays black as long as I don't close the crashed game. And there's no folder called "minidump" if I launched it after I closed the game.
    edited May 2013
    I have the same problem. The only thing I can use seems to be the task bar and the task manager. I linked the ns2 folder to the task bar, but opening it will only bring forward a black screen. I will try to directly link the techsupport.exe next. Maybe that will work...
    You can actually run the techsupport.exe THROUGH task manager, by opening it, and then clicking on File > New task > browse to the exe.
    :)
    That is way too complicated IronHorse :P
    I've tried, the screen becomes black again as soon as I click on new task.
    Also, the games doesn't crash only with exo now, even if it's 100% sure that exo make it crash.
    Hmm.. Time to make a shortcut / hot key /macro.
    Me thinks it has something to do with rendering, so attempt to utilize fullscreen windowed and see if that prevents everything from turning black when crashing ?
    edited May 2013
    ok my first crash was an entire system lock today (first time that ever happened, game related) -- had me worried, but it's only this game so clearly not hardware issue

Second crash was a normal crash, however I can't do anything besides submit the minidump, trying to navigate my desktop gives me a black screen until ns2.exe is force closed

not to worry though, I'm pretty much guaranteed to crash every single time I play
    ezekel wrote: »
    but it's only this game so clearly not hardware issue
    That is, believe it or not, the most frequently used sentence in the tech support forums. (despite 80% of all tech support issues being on the user's end)
    Careful, conclusions from correlated studies are not reliable. ;)

Also, read up what i just posed @ezekel , there should be ways around everything turning black.
    Ok so I also crash when another player is firing an exo near me...
    And I can't get that GODDAMN dump file.
    I'm trying really hard not to stop playing 'till the next patch.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I never crashed during this build, unless when alt-tabing; which makes me crash about half the time.
    Ok so I also crash when another player is firing an exo near me...
    And I can't get that GODDAMN dump file.
    I'm trying really hard not to stop playing 'till the next patch.

If everything turns black for you when you try to run the tech support executable, have you tried using fullscreen windowed?

Alternatively you can keep the tech support window up and when ns2 crashes just alt tab and then press enter?
    Anyway we can get this tech support thing as an extra option in the log.txt and minidump after a crash? like a checkable box

Also in the extra info tab if you hit enter it submits it, I like to use enter to go down a line trying to type my system specs to help them out