missing required mod / couldn't download mod - error code: 16

SixPairsOfFeetSixPairsOfFeet Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146689Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi,

It seems like I can't join a single server after the latest build (249). If there's even one mod on the server, it won't let me in. I get "couldn't download * (error code: 16)" and "attempting to redownload * after timeout" 4 times in a row for each mod, then "missing required mod".

Steps that I took hoping to get it fixed:

- I deleted my local ns2 files, then reinstalled the game
- I unsubscribed from every mod in my workshop
- i made some extra space on my hard drive in case 25 gb isn't enough (?!?)

In the "mods" submenu, the state of all the mods seems to cycle through "queued to download" and "unavailable".

Please help, I'd like to play :(

Comments

• SixPairsOfFeetSixPairsOfFeet Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146689Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Apparently the only way to get onto servers is memorise the mod list, get to the workshop and download each individually outside of the game, then wait until they are all finished and then start the game and try joining again - if there's slots left by then!

Why does subscribing even hit a different code path if I'm doing it outside the game? Shouldn't the workshop integration do exactly that: unify the code? :(
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm having the same errors. You aren't the only one.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Error Code: ROFL

Can't join any servers because of this.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Check the console when joining a server, you'll see queuing download and then failing more than likely.

This is a steam issue, sad to say, from using their workshop.
    All error code 16 means is you were unable to download the mod from the workshop.

Most successful way of addressing this that i've seen is temporarily changing your steam server settings to somewhere else.
    Steam > settings > downloads > download region.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is ruining the game for me. I keep getting Missing Mod error when trying to join a server, then i have to re-load the entire server list and retry.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I put myself in DMZ mode on my router, still get the same error. Not able to download 3rd party mods from servers. Problem is, almost every server has one. Below is a log.

Date: 07/27/13
    Time: 02:13:24
    Build 251
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (8.17.10.1191)
    Sound Device: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 251
    Steam Id: 2888000
    Connecting to server 74.117.238.146:27015
    Downloading mods
    Queuing download of 'Player Badges'
    Queuing download of 'Shine Administration'
    Queuing download of 'Custom Spawns + Spectator Lights'
    Starting download of 'Player Badges'
    Starting download of 'Shine Administration'
    Error: Couldn't download mod 'Player Badges' (error code: 16)
    Error: Attempting to redownload mod 'Player Badges' after timeout
    Error: Couldn't download mod 'Shine Administration' (error code: 16)
    Error: Attempting to redownload mod 'Shine Administration' after timeout
    Finished downloading and installing mods
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.

• JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Most successful way of addressing this that i've seen is temporarily changing your steam server settings to somewhere else.
    Steam > settings > downloads > download region.

Try what Ironhorse said in the Quote please.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    keep reconnecting to the server multiple times, eventually it should get all the mods. NS2 might be able to work around the steam issue by retrying the mods several times before doing what it currently does; gives up instantly.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Ever tried to load the needed mods before joining a server by subscribing them in the workshop?
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The workshop is a bit of a joke tbh .. had to disable custom maps on server because too many people weren't able to join due to workshop being unable to download mods .. and asking the client to download 8 mods is server suicide :/

We'd a steam event and couldn't use our server because of this .. so disabled all mods :/
    Okay, I tried the region setting for steam downloads and also unchecked IE automatic check settings feature. This still didnt work.

I tried to subscribe to the mod in the shop, but it seems really tenuous , need to write each one down.

Would make more sense if it saved the mod on your computer and you wouldnt have to download it again.
    This issue seems to have gone away. Guess Steam workshop got fixed. Generally not a NS issue, more of a steam issue i belive. Thanks for all the feed back.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It does save the mod on your computer, in your hidden appdata/roaming/natural selection 2/workshop folder.
    And it won't download 8 mods at a time, it will download one at a time, queuing the remainder.
    Glad its fixed tho :)