aura or phantom?

amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
which do you prefer on your lifeforms? now that there's an actual choice for shade upgrades. also, Regen or Cara? for higher life forms Regen seems better, for skulks and suicide gorges, Cara. maybe lerks as well, though I haven't really done too much lerking... to.afraid I'll hate it. but back to topic, which is better? aura or phantom? in your opinions.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Aura every time.
    Knowing which marine to pick off, through walls, while playing as any lifeform - is far more impactful than having the element of surprise through ambushing - imo.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're both good for Skulk - Aura for every other lifeform hands down.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Aura is awesome, borderline OP.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    I mostly use phantom, I'll use aura sometimes on fade/lerk; being 100% silent is much better for me, plus I've become excellent with cloaking

onos is probably the only lifeform where I'll always take aura; his screen rattle gives him away even with silence
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2013
    Aura becomes more and more valuable as the game progresses, especially once marines hit Armor 2 and become 4 bite/swipe. Phantom is always good early game, not as good mid/late game when you have less chance of profiting or doing any real damage from an ambush and marines get their mobility going.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    This game has so bad sounds that 2x silence is enough to be totally silent. Depends on situation but aura might be better overall.
    Need focus and 100% cloak ;_;
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Aura for the most part, for awareness and mobile lifeforms. Phantom has its uses, but I only use it when 3 Veils are up for complete silence.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is the range on aura from 1-3?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Phantom for skulk because of silence, never for any other lifeform because of cost.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aura with the same points as @IronHorse mentioned.

I particularly like it as Lerk as it allows me to fly around the map scouting and picking off solo marines and sometimes small groups depending on the situation.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    different levels of aura should upgrade the range you can see marines at. Right now it just seems way too good. But then again, i dont think id ever pass up carapace for it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like phantom for the skulk, for fade I pretty much exclusively use aura to stop myself from running into groups of 3+ marines.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Took me like 70% of a game to realise what that weird yellow blob on all the marines was, I was kind of assuming aura to look more like parasite. It's amazing though, I love silence but aura owns the hardest now.
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Aura for higher lifeforms because as a fade for example you can not be trapped by 2 marines hiding in a corner and one solo marine in the middle of the room.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Focus would be good indeed, but then it would probably not be available at the same time as Phantom, so your element of surprise would still be useless against marines with higher armor levels.
    I rather dislike that marines get a flat damage AND armor scaling as the game progresses while aliens only get the latter. Having to bite someone 5-7 times in a 1 vs 1 because he gets medpack spammed is extremely frustrating. Plus you take way more damage than in the early game as Skulk once marines got some weapon upgrades going.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Phantom during early game, when you know the Marines have little to no armour. Ambushing is essential to keeping Marines back off your territory.
    Aura in mid to late game, when it's important to know which Marines to kill easiest to make a difference.

I would rather 1 Marine with full health left shooting at my team than 3 Marines all with 10hp.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can only see Phantom being useful for early game skulks, and even then they should be careful where to hide since camo is no longer 100% effective. On all other cases, Aura is far better.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like having a combination on the team. If you're with another fade or two and one of them has aura, they can relay the really important info before you go in (3 in overlook watch out). 2 silent fades plus 1 aware fade > 3 aware fades, provided the communication is good. Don't underestimate the benefit that extra swipe can give you with silence, especially when hunting in packs.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited June 2013
    Phantom. Most marines still dont sneak , so its enough for me to spot the enemys through the wall by simply hearing them.

But I wish that aura-effect would be on a shade to spot enemys from a far distance and see them on the minimap( like the good old senory-chambers )
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm mostly considering comp player level skill, as any comp player will be checking their corners and they will see you hiding in plain sight with the not-100% camo, hence why I said Aura is better. But I do think Phantom has its uses, mostly for the silence component.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Personally I find the wallhack I mean aura to be most useful.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    I'm mostly considering comp player level skill, as any comp player will be checking their corners and they will see you hiding in plain sight with the not-100% camo, hence why I said Aura is better. But I do think Phantom has its uses, mostly for the silence component.

You can cloak and hide against them, you just need to make sure you don't move your mouse at all and aren't out in the open, if you've just fleed from a fight then are hiding in the next room, high chance you'll be found

You need to be camo'd in a room where they are unaware you're there, then when they're turned.. now is your time young one, FEED, FEEEEEEEED!!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Like other posters, I love phantom for skulk every time. If you have a descent pair of headphones, you will know where the marines are coming from anyway. For any other lifeforms, aura all the way. Make your regen/aura fade a ninja that picks off the weak ones.
    ezekel wrote: »
    StrikerX3 wrote: »

You can cloak and hide against them, you just need to make sure you don't move your mouse at all and aren't out in the open, if you've just fleed from a fight then are hiding in the next room, high chance you'll be found

You need to be camo'd in a room where they are unaware you're there, then when they're turned.. now is your time young one, FEED, FEEEEEEEED!!

Yeah, I know all that. ;) It's just harder than usual now that camo isn't perfect, but if you pick the right spot and the right moment they'll never find you.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Phantom is great for early game, too bad khams still don't go shade first. It's not any worse for mid game than silence used to be, with situational benefit for the cloaking side.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    think I'lltry more shade first actually, but Regen is pretty damn good, especially with the crag Nerf.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I find aura to be very powerful as a fade. It decreases reaction times compared to running into marines unexpectedly. Killing a soft target among a group of marines is quite satisfying. I like it a lot, but I much prefer it as my third upgrade.

Concerning spurs, I find adren to be massively better than celerity for blink/shadowstep chaining. I was wondering whether people prefer cara or regen as a fade vs LMGs and shotties.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Regen on all, except maybe skulk. can't count on crag farms anymore.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Seeing the topic of the thread, I wondered for a while if I have not ended up on some weird occult society pages. ;)