Age-old question: Crag, Shade or Shift first?

SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
I like Crag, even though its been nerfed, because you can switch between Regen and Cara as a skulk for free.

Discussion time!

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think if used right, any of the starting hives are viable; but I do think crag always needs to be first or second; never third

I like shift because you can echo harvesters and it's a pretty huge help
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I like shift first for echo too. Honestly I'm not liking crag at all because of the nerf. Both shade and shift offer much greater potential benefits, and you aren't losing anything absolutely essential like the cara onos and fade prepatch.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Shade cause aura is amazing
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    Shade usually but not on 4 tech maps(which are dumb, by the way)
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Build 249 - Shift
    Build 250 - Shade
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Crag first all the way.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Crag or shade are both ok if you play with them correctly, prefer crag however. Shift is horrible though.
    edited June 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Crag or shade are both ok if you play with them correctly, prefer crag however. Shift is horrible though.

And why is shift horrible? Celerity is very good for skulks both in and out of combat and adrenaline should help the early gorges immensely, Shift also gives you the ability to echo harvesters, and anything else you want, which means you are less vulnerable setting up and you save money on drifters. The echo shift also lends itself to early gorge tunnels, no reason not to really. If you get stuck on one hive for whatever reason, you have both adrenaline and bile bomb, which gives you the best possible chance of fighting back in a bad situation.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @sotanaht But what happens when your fades come out and you can't get a 2nd hive up?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @sotanaht
    I'll admit that echoing harvesters is awesome, the rest is unnecessary though. Gorges really shouldn't need adren that early also, and celerity just isn't as good for skulks as cara.
    edited June 2013
    @sotanaht But what happens when your fades come out and you can't get a 2nd hive up?

You have the best possible upgrades for them. that's what happens. Cara is shit (20 armor for fade), regen is situational at best. Arguably aura might be better for them than celerity or adren without shadowstep, but shade-first isn't really on the table.
    @sotanaht
    I'll admit that echoing harvesters is awesome, the rest is unnecessary though. Gorges really shouldn't need adren that early also, and celerity just isn't as good for skulks as cara.

Adren for building the second hive or bileing early (remember bile is only 2 biomass) or just defending their forts with nigh unlimited healspray. Cara is pretty good for skulks I'll admit (about the only thing it's good for anymore), but celerity is still very good if not as good.
    Adren is a one time thing unless you let energy get restored though, that's like 4 extra heal sprays or something to build the hive, that's not really that useful.
    edited June 2013
    Adren is a one time thing unless you let energy get restored though, that's like 4 extra heal sprays or something to build the hive, that's not really that useful.

Actually no. Adren increases energy regeneration speed now. Healspray uses relatively little energy, so with full adrenaline (3 spurs) you can healspray about 3x as long. Without adren you get 21 sprays before you are out of energy (22nd spray is delayed). With full adren that number is 62. The speed you can healspray at when out of energy is significantly increased as well.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would actually say that Aura might be the best upgrade in the game now.

Depends on how you use it. Just like every iteration of the shade upgrades it has little if any use once you are in combat.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    sotanaht wrote: »

Depends on how you use it. Just like every iteration of the shade upgrades it has little if any use once you are in combat.

Besides showing you which marines are lowest on health so you can focus them down first. Or showing you where marines are in your escape route so you don't get trapped.

Actually no. Adren increases energy regeneration speed now. Healspray uses relatively little energy, so with full adrenaline (3 spurs) you can healspray about 3x as long. Without adren you get 21 sprays before you are out of energy (22nd spray is delayed). With full adren that number is 62. The speed you can healspray at when out of energy is significantly increased as well.

I forgot about the energy regen increase. Even still, if you want your hive up that bad, no need to go hive type, drop a shift. It's 10 res.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Aura is good if you want to terrorize Skylights and Overlook RTs by completely out-maneauvering a Marine who is trying you catch you.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2013
    Energy now regenerates faster with adrenaline.
    So its NOT a one time thing.

Oopsies didnt scroll down
    And, ghostthree, dropping a shift in a location where you can only drop a hive and access with a gorge tunnel?
    No, it doesn't work like that.
    and here i thought snx was the best clan in aust because of its strategums *shakehead*

I forgot about the energy regen increase. Even still, if you want your hive up that bad, no need to go hive type, drop a shift. It's 10 res.

It's not just the one thing though, it's everything the gorge does. The early game is won by gorges, more so now than ever with the way structures and cysts build. Adren is their best upgrade by miles.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AuroN2 wrote: »

And, ghostthree, dropping a shift in a location where you can only drop a hive and access with a gorge tunnel?
    and here i thought snx was the best clan in aust because of its strategums *shakehead*

Except that infestation spreads at the end of a gorge tunnel...
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    As a commited fade player I personaly prefer shift first for celerity, then shade for phantom (silcence still rocks the boat!). Regen is really a nice addition but by far not as important for a fade. You should never really engage in combat anyway, just blink or bhop through and get one or two swipes in. Speed and the element of surprise is all that matters for my fade nowadays.
    edited June 2013

You are aware infestation comes out of tunnels?

EDIT: Also if you're stuck on 1 hive that's not shift and can't get access to another one, you have to be joking if you think having adrenalin would let you get it up.

It's not just the one thing though, it's everything the gorge does. The early game is won by gorges, more so now than ever with the way structures and cysts build. Adren is their best upgrade by miles.

I agree it's probably the best upgrade for gorge now (how effective is cara?) but I still don't think it's worth going shift just for gorges. Big picture.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    I agree it's probably the best upgrade for gorge now (how effective is cara?) but I still don't think it's worth going shift just for gorges. Big picture.

+ 25 Armor.

Crag is still good in 250 for skulks but sucks hard for higher lifeforms. I am preferring shade first, shift second.

You are aware infestation comes out of tunnels?

EDIT: Also if you're stuck on 1 hive that's not shift and can't get access to another one, you have to be joking if you think having adrenalin would let you get it up.

Yes, big picture. It's best for gorges, celerity is good for everything else and echo is great early. Compare crag hive. Carapace is pretty good for skulks but both cara and regen are mediocre at best for everything else. I can see a point for shade hive based off of aura alone, but that's all it would be. I'm about ready to call crag a distant third.
  • cyanidecyanide Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185567Members
    it all depends on your team imo, If your team has good skulking. but suffers to group up quickly. maybe shift is a good option
    if your team lacks skulking skill then getting to pick and choose every engagement of having extra armor. then crag or shade would be better.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited June 2013
    I like crag then shade. Crag so the res-harassing skulks can get regen and then so it's ready for fades when they some out too. Shade is more of a precautionary "what if they get arcs" thing as I've been caught with my pants down too many times with that (forgetting you need shade hive to ink). If it's clear they're not gonna arc any time soon, and there's a 3rd hive available I can get shade with afterwards, I get shift second (better late game upgrades).

This is just for pubs though, and I have no idea what's actually the best build order. Lord knows.
    edited July 2013
    Played a few more games as alien comm, echo shifts are borderline overpowered. Harvesters are a neat trick but that's all, the real deal is when you start echoing shifts and crags and upgrades all over.

I've saved many structures the marines were intent on killing that way either by echoing in a crag or echoing out the structure (even if I have to bring in a shift to do it). At one res per move I don't even have to think about cost. I've also managed to minimize the cost of new structures by only keeping one or two shifts and crags that I move as needed rather than a new one at every juncture.

Crag hives get you carapace and regen... and thats it. There's heal wave, but that's rarely useful and fairly expensive (3 res to use and the crag has to already be there, and it aint teleporting in). Even if the upgrades are strictly better than shift upgrades (they're not), the difference in what you can do as khammander is too huge to ignore.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I noticed with the new movement, I don't care much for celery. I think it's easily the weakest of the 3 right now.
    edited July 2013
    MrPink wrote: »
    I noticed with the new movement, I don't care much for celery. I think it's easily the weakest of the 3 right now.

It's kinda iffy for skulk long range movement. If you can get some really good wall jumps you can get fast enough the celerity doesn't matter too much. Skulk in combat though is helped a ton by the new celerity, and it brings you up to the level you would get from decent walljumps just bouncing on the floor.

Of course, for anyone elses movement it's great. Onos in particular benefit because it keeps working while they are being shot running away or at the enemy for that matter.