language bar crashes when starting NS2

dyfrgidyfrgi Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168071Members
When I start up NS2 on my system, the Windows 7 Language Bar crashes. I use Dvorak and have it set up so I can switch to QWERTY in games which don't handle that well, which NS2 definitely qualifies as (can't bind the Q key! which is ' in Dvorak). I'm not sure to what extent this is an NS2 issue versus a Windows issue, but NS2 is the only program that causes this, so I figured I'd post about it here.

Any thoughts? Diagnostic techniques? Logs I should post? I have to reboot to get the damn thing back after starting NS2, currently.

Win7 64-bit, latest patches from Windows Update.

Comments

• SkualSkual Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186469Members
    I started to have the exact same problem yesterday... my language bar used to work fine but since yesterday the language bar disappears when I start NS2 and does not come back until I restart my computer. I didn't modify anything myself (maybe windows update, steam upgrades, or whatever). The problem is that the shortcut to change keyboard layouts stops working, therefore I cannot switch from one keyboard layout (AZERTY) to another (QWERTY)

I can confirm that NS2 is the only program that kills my NS2 bar, I have tried multiple other Steam games and regular programs.

What is truely annoying is that I absolutely do not need the language bar....... except for NS2 (!). This is due to the fact that we cannot rebind the commander inputs, therefore if I do not play commander in QWERTY, the mapping is a deal breaker

Please help
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a mod for Commander binds in the workshop you could look that up but for the language bar crash I don't know.
    You could try using the key combinations for language changing should be left shift+alt
    Thank you I will try the mod!

Regarding the "shift+alt" shortcut, that is what I used to do and it was fine.. but since the language bar crashes, the shortcut is not working anymore
    So the issue is actually even crazier than it was:

If I reboot my computer and start NS2, I cannot use alt + shift

But then if I close the game, and hit start > run in Windows and type "ctfmon.exe" to start this process (this is the keyboard layout process)

When I run the game, I will get the alt + shift working...

If anyone can tell me how this is even possible, a nd if there is any way to fix it whenever I restart my computer, that would be great:)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    does windows event viewer say anything about it?
    hi, nope I have been searching on all the event viewers tables and nothing seemed to be related to this

So basically, this situation is reproduced 100% of the time:

start computer
    ->alt + shift is working under windows
    run ns2
    -> language bar disappears when the game is about to start
    -> alt + shift not working anymore
    quit ns2
    hit run - ctfmon.exe
    -> do not see the language bar
    -> alft + shift is working
    run ns2
    -> alt + shift still working

=> do not reboot computer

It is really weird because I never see ctfmon running in my processes, but still it seems to do the job