Magnus effect applied on whip bombard

Anti94Anti94 Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186489Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Whips are currently underused for their antibuilding capabilities.
Whips are indeed too easy to shoot at a distance and are thus inefficient at taking down marine bases.

Here I suggest that the whip projectile could use the magnus effect to curve its trajectory. This way the whip could, to some extent, stay behind cover while attacking buildings.
Here are some random youtube videos explaining the magnus force:

This modification who somehow give whips some siege capabilities. I believe it would reduce turtling.

The positive aspect of this proposal is that it requires a programming effort only.
The downside is that from a mathematical point of view it might be tricky to program.

Comments

• AndreAndre Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186534Members
    Hi @ all,

whips should atleast bombard targets in ballistic flight path,
    without line of sight (*) but above the obstacle.

For example warehouse techpoint on ns_tram:
    place the whips behind the vision blocking containers and
    throw the bombs above these container towards the storming marines.

*) if whips have no line of sights (have the eyes?), they can "feel" them through the infestation or via another alien (player) with LOS
    (Like the ARCs: they also fire shots without the commander's scan but by target spotting of marine players)

Greetings and happy RT biting

André
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    Ballistics is what artillery is all about, unless you're using a FLAK88 in direct fire mode :P

Maybe this could also be applied to marine weaponry perhaps to force marines to move into slapping distance with some kind of effect around the whippers? So the further away from a whip you are the harder it is to hit it with the rifle and pistol? And as a result you'd be forced to move in closer to hit it with more bullets? It's an interesting concept for sure, but it also needs to be clear visually that the whip is causing this (Matrix type bullet tracers curving?)

I'd say that this effect should only work if the crosshair is indeed on the whip, otherwise it would affect the tracking of aliens as well. And it should disable when you're within slapping distance.

This does go against the no recoil or trajectory affecting thing that NS(2) is known for though...
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't be against them adding the ability to curve bombards a bit, provided the curve isn't too sharp (also, provided it doesn't look stupid). Would make whips a more viable seige weapon in comparison to arcs.

Line of sight shouldn't matter. The whips shouldn't automatically attack targets they can't see, unless a drifter or lifeform can see it. However, in absence of sight, you should still be able to set it to bombard the particular location.

Bombard really needs a rework though. Too often I will echo some whips in to bombard something and it will get completely the wrong trajectory and end up hitting a railing or something. Also, the range of the standard whip attack seems really long, and in some rooms it can be really difficult getting the whip in the right place so it's bombarding and not whipping some extractor that's just in range or something. For buildings, the standard attack should be bombard, whether or not it's in regular whip range. Or instead, it should prioritize bombard targets over standard whip targets (unless its a marine in which case it should regular whip him).