Gorge - Couple of Babbler ideas

jeflaxjeflax Join Date: 2009-08-20 Member: 68540Members
I'll start out by saying that I really love to play battle gorge in ns2, and I did in ns1. However, the babblers at this point are a little... lackluster. Here are some idea's I have been thinking about on making them a bit more useful

idea 1: Let the gorge carry all 9 of their babblers. Doing this would increase gorge survivability a bit, but would take away some of the babblers pathing problems by simply letting the gorge carry them around when they move around rooms. You could still keep the limit on other aliens limited to 6 if you are worried about some sort of balance problem.

Idea2: After the gorge finishes building the babbler eggs the eggs wouldn't hatch. They would either take on the look of a clog, infestation, or just cloak (cloaking would probably be best if only available on infestation). From that point they would either hatch on a marine as a landmine type effect, or can be force hatched by the gorge "using" the egg, and from there babblers would work as normal.

Idea3: Change the babbler catnip ball to be more of a babbler capsule. Instead of dropping the eggs on the ground to build the gorge would just do a short gestation for each babbler egg purchased. For each egg purchased you get a loaded egg you can shoot to your target location and they would hatch on contact.

Idea4: Give the babblers some form of snare on marines that they hit, something similar to the old webs without being so disabling or long lasting.

I'd love to see the gorges play more of a role in the late game beyond holding down right click for heal spray, but I think idea#1 would be the easiest to implement and also have an immediate effect on gorges effectiveness with babblers.

~jeflax

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    babblers are quite effective already. we dont want gorge to win 1v1 vs medspam marine
  • Sinz76Sinz76 Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181225Members
    Babblers are OP actually with 40 dmg to take down its way too much.
    It should be 10 or 15 hp and +2 each biomass.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Sinz76 wrote: »
    Babblers are OP actually

Babblers are little more than an annoyance for marines...?
    I never hatch them. Just a waste of pres^^
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Sinz76 wrote: »
    Babblers are OP actually

Babblers are little more than an annoyance for marines...?
    I never hatch them. Just a waste of pres^^

1. Go gorge as soon as the game starts
    2. Hatch babblers
    3. Put babblers on a mildly competent skulk
    4. ???
    5. Profit as that skulk kills everything

Remember, gorges are support classes and nothing more. They are not suppose to effectively kill marines (even though they can.)
  • JCDentonJCDenton Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183768Members
    Babbler Eggs don't grow very much on their own, why not do the unhatched babbler eggs as mine thing?
    Marine walks over a babbler egg, and it pops, covering the marine with 3 babblers that attack it.

To make it more team oriented, these babblers will damage the marine for X seconds, but can easily be shot off by a team mate/welded off
    It'd give Gorge another tool in blocking off areas, and require marine co-operation.
  • jeflaxjeflax Join Date: 2009-08-20 Member: 68540Members
    Babblers are very good right now for defensive purposes, and by that i mean sticking on other life forms. What I would like to see is them actually add utility and depth to the player that is playing the gorge~
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    kalakuja wrote: »
    babblers are quite effective already. we dont want gorge to win 1v1 vs medspam marine

Ive done that. No medspam though. Best feeling ever.