Grenades. Now with natural strawberry-like flavor.

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I get the feeling hand granades are quite useless. They resemble Chinese tourist shop - one goes 'poof' and emits purple stars, the other goes 'meef', and farts funnily, and the third one plays a silly tune. Still, they are too slow to hit the steroid-fast targets of ns2.

You know, the original idea of a grenade is that when you encounter an entrenched enemy position, and you shoot at them, and they shoot at you, you reach for those little f*ckers and the enemy is forced to either move, or fly sky high. To dislodge the enemy from a static, entrenched position. In NS2, nothing like that exists.

Plus they cost 3 res each and bounce in the most insane angles.

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    3 res for 2, right? Chuck a cluster grenade at an rt that's getting bit. Throw an EMP grenade at a phasegate that's being attacked in order to deal some damage and make the gate last longer (slows alien ROF). Drop a gas grenade by your feet while you're pushing a hive, that way everyone who has to come and attack you takes armor damage. Or just chuck the gas grenade at a hive to take all its armor away. There are plenty of ways to use them that are viable. Is it better spend money on grenades instead of saving for a shotgun? Probably not.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I see it as breaking a tough gorged alien position or as disposable res. Might take awhile until we see marines utilise them effectively or if they ever well but it adds a touch of variety to the gameplay.

Edit: You can cook them as well so it might be useful for defending phase gate attacks and such.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think people just aren't using them correctly/people haven't learned good strategies on when to use them/don't have experience using them/don't know what they do, yet
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The gas bomb's armor damage negates the shade's cloaking while the gas is eating at the armor of structures and aliens. It's like a 2 usage mini scan.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Play with them, they are not bad. Cluster grenades seem to be the most useful so far, right next to the gas grenade.

Cluster are useful for gorge barriacdes, or killing a bunch of skulks that just spawned at a hive. They can also be useful do do some supplemental building damage. It's great to have them, I feel like they supplement JP/Shotty very well.

As for the GAS grenades, it seems quite useful at taking armor down, making it a good opener for taking out thougher buildings or lifeforms. Especially if close together, like throw them at a gorge healing station :P

The other ones seemed so far to be too situational to me, and most of the time not worth it.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    rantology wrote: »
    I think cluster grenades are going to be invaluable for breaking early game gorge forts.

if tweaked yes. not the way the small cluster bombs spread out so much in larger spaces and do little damage. you throw one behind a clog wall and yet the smaller nades still don't stay back there and do enough effective dmg to the gorge/hydras.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    I think cluster grenades are going to be invaluable for breaking early game gorge forts.
    '

if tweaked yes. not the way the small cluster bombs spread out so much in larger spaces and do little damage. you throw one behind a clog wall and yet the smaller nades still don't stay back there and do enough effective dmg to the gorge/hydras.

Yeah, I think the grenades feel a little... lightweight? they seem to be overly floaty so it can be difficult to judge exactly where you should aim them to account for the following floaty-bounces. Maybe I'm just not used to using them yet though.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    The bomblet dispersal is a little weird and random sometimes, but they do impact detonate against stuff like clogs (both the initial grenade and I think even the bomblets - don't quote me on the second part). For clog walls designed to simply deny access to an area or wall of a door cluster grenades are amazing little breaching charges. Obnoxious gorge walling off nanogrid on veil? Blast that door down instantly plus some extra splash damage to him, rush in and kill that shocked little fatty!
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Yeah, I don't really like them and they all feel like I'm throwing firecrackers and smoke bombs, lol.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Nano is an excellent example of how useful early grenade can be. Imagine if you go early grenades, take east junction/system waypointing, drop an armory, and push nano with grenades. If just 3-4 marines get cluster grenades you can take the room pretty easily.

Grenades can also be used to root out hiding aliens, vent camping aliens, and you can use properly timed grenades to strengthen/hold your position.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    Just like everyone is saying above but in less words: They seem great but extremely situational. A grenade used in the wrong situation is useless. Though it might be invaluable in the right situation, especially for only 1.5 pres each.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The grenades are pretty weak from what i've seen, however this is a good first implementation. If they fall out of use they can be buffed accordingly.

By the way, where's my Molotov.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    The first time I used a cluster grenade in a test game was to defend a phase gate meat grinder. I killed literally the entire enemy team. Trust me, they're pretty cool, guys.

Oh, and I play lerk a lot on aliens and gas grenades haunt me in my nightmares.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't thinks nades are usless yet. Requires more testing.
    Anyway, it is only an option, not a replacement for GL or something.
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

Tested this earlier in game. 3 people threw 2 clusters each and it was able to take out 3 hydras + 9 clogs.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    From my testing, grenades are very useful. They are not meant to be spammed constantly but to weaken defenses or deny an area ( gas one ). I like the impulse one, which can be used when chasing an onos or a fade. Without energy they can't do much to escape the inevitable death.

From what I've seen, the cluster one doesn't do enough damage to structures but to lifeforms it's very devastating. The gas one is perfect for demolition ( 10% of the hive health with a single grenade, if I'm not mistaken ) and it keeps the aliens away from you.

As one said, they are OP but do not tell UWE. Please don't touch ma 'nades, plz! Maybe buff them a little :3

Oh and I love how the game turned from "Pew Pew Freedom Time!" to Chemical warfare, where the both teams utilize gas to kill each other. Next item should be gas masks, you know to look cooler.

Maybe next will be Nuclear Warfare. You press a little red button and watch how everypony turns to ashes. Radioactive alien, anypony?
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    jewbear wrote: »

Tested this earlier in game. 3 people threw 2 clusters each and it was able to take out 3 hydras + 9 clogs.

Was a gorge there as well? Also how big was the room? I guess my cluster grenade tossing ability isnt that great yet. Like rant said, they feel floaty and the bomblets seemed too random. I do like the idea that the bomblets could hurt/injures any skulks hiding in the area, since it was way too easy to mop up marines who would try to focus fire down a gorge or hydras.
    edited August 2013
    In my experience I can always destroy a 3x3 clog wall with two cluster grenades thrown directly at it so they explode on contact. It works so well at this that it gives them niche utility as breaching charges.

I'm not entire sure this next thing works, but I'm pretty* sure explosives also damage/destroy webs, so there's more ways to knock out a wall of webs than a welder or a flamethrower... and if it's webs near hydras near clogs, well hot damn, man, you just hit the jackpot! You prize is the crushed soul of the gorge player that you just made very, very sad.