Gorge Tunnels

NinjaDerpyNinjaDerpy Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187632Members
Take them. I rarely see my alien teammates using them. They are basically Phase Gates. Marines can take them too! I always see marines slaughtering them, even though they usually lead to the second or third hive!! Also, aliens should he able to use phase gates, it would only be fair, but they lose part of their armor when they phase. When marines use Gorge tunnels, it degrades their armor. It would make sense if phase gates did the same.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    NinjaDerpy wrote: »
    Take them.

If you mean, they should be removed from the game: No.
    But I think you are suggesting that marines should use them more often - yes.
    I rarely see my alien teammates using them. They are basically Phase Gates. Marines can take them too! I always see marines slaughtering them, even though they usually lead to the second or third hive!!

Yep. Stupid marines.
    But you can set up nice exo traps with them, too (Docking :D ).
    Also, aliens should he able to use phase gates, it would only be fair, but they lose part of their armor when they phase. When marines use Gorge tunnels, it degrades their armor. It would make sense if phase gates did the same.

Nope. This is an asymmetrical game.

Erm... what's your overall suggestion? To allow aliens to walk through pgs? Possibly OP and breaks asymmetry.

:)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Erm... what's your overall suggestion? To allow aliens to walk through pgs? Possibly OP and breaks asymmetry.

Only almost reasonable way I see of doing this is that if a marine phases out of a phase gate that there be .005 second window where you could follow him... Talk about a fade trap, "the fades following me through every one shoot the PG!!"
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why cant aliens buy shotguns?
  • NinjaDerpyNinjaDerpy Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187632Members
    maD_maX_ wrote: »

Only almost reasonable way I see of doing this is that if a marine phases out of a phase gate that there be .005 second window where you could follow him... Talk about a fade trap, "the fades following me through every one shoot the PG!!"
    If the game was meant to asymmetrical, then my suggestion would probably be invalid. My first point was to try to get people to tell others to use Gorge tunnels. They seem under used.
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The reason you may not see them often is because:
    1) requires a gorge and a khamm to research it - that's a requirement of two players now that khamm doesn't get pres
    2) aliens already move pretty fast around the map and can often maneuver around opfor with vents

They seem redundant, but they do have their uses, especially for defending a hive in the process of building. There's nothing quite like an instant response to a building hive attack by your next spawn wave of skulks.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're amazing if the khamm tends to put his first hive in an aggressive location to pressure the Marines. It allows the Aliens to hold that position until eggs spawn and keep the pressure on.

However, Aliens tend not to use them as much as they should. I'm guessing for several reasons...

a. They're not part of a common build order like PGs are, so players don't even think to look for them. Even if a khamm researches them early, a gorge has to sacrifice Pres and actually remember to place them.
    b. Alien bases tend to be incredibly cluttered with structures, so they're a pain in the ass to find. Gorges often try to hide them in a corner behind the hive, so players aren't as likely to notice them on the way out of the base.
    c. They're low to the ground and often there's a shade making them a smidge harder to see too. They don't stand out like PGs do.
    d. Often you'll have more than one in a base. Entrances are placed too close together and it can be hard to quickly determine which leads where. However if you mouse over them they do say their destination.

Aside from the size of the model, all of this comes down to Alien knowledge, communication and situational awareness. Or a lack of thereof.