Crashing after a time in-game.

WinterousWinterous Join Date: 2005-07-29 Member: 57092Members, Reinforced - Shadow
You've heard it a bunch before, the game crashes after a while in-game with no apparent cause.
I fully removed the game from my computer then re-installed it, and it kept happening.

Comments

• WinterousWinterous Join Date: 2005-07-29 Member: 57092Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I first posted this thread, I was going into a practice map and fiddling around on both teams; first Marines, then Kharaa.
    After switching to Kharaa I found that some images weren't loading correctly, I'd open the buy menu and images / transparent "effect" type things were squares of colour rather than what they were supposed to be. Then I entered the commander position and large pieces of the HUD were doing the same thing, then it crashed.

Today I tried again, after turning off shadows.
    I was doing the same things as above, and had no problems until I hit escape after looking at the Kharaa in order to change the map, at which point the game crashed the same way it has been doing.

This leads me to believe that the problem is one of memory.
    I'm on Windows XP 32bit, which unfortunately leaves me with 3.25 gig of functional RAM (or so the system specs window tells me); which isn't really very much.
    Is it possible that there's a memory leaking issue with the current version? Menu assets not un-loading when you can no longer access them by changing team?

Anyway, thanks for whatever help you can give me.
  • PattyDaPlayerPattyDaPlayer Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187346Members
    I am having similar problems to yours.

From what I have figured out from my own log files and what others have commented in other tech support threads there is indeed a memory leak in the game which is most likely causing these problems.

Doesn't look like we can do much until the devs fix it unfortunately.
  • WinterousWinterous Join Date: 2005-07-29 Member: 57092Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well that's a shame. Oh well.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same problem here on Windows XP 32-bit. Works fine on my Windows 7 machine.

Please fix :)
    edited September 2013
    [img][/img]Alright, new update, I've tried to run the game a few times again.
    First time the game crashed, task manager said that the NS2 process was using 1.6 million K of memory, which seems like an awful lot.

Second time I switched to Windowed Fullscreen from normal Fullscreen, and I was watching task manager to keep an eye on the memory usage; it was jumping up and down, but didn't go much over around 600k.

I entered a map on sandbox mode, went Marines, looking at some buy windows and bought some grenades, threw them; then I went commander, checked out the multiple tabs...
    And the moment I hit the "log out" button, the game crashed, giving this error message.
    fd2a21037894d61279acecb09b53f1.bmp

I kept that error message up and ran techsupport.exe, and attached the resulting .zip to this post.

This game has run perfectly fine on this computer before, and it's quite upsetting that I can't continue to play it now.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    edited September 2013
    any game developers can take a look at this plzz ? im having this problem too =='

Reinforced programe bring you guys 100k $ , b ut instead on Steam forums over 1000 players are quitting this game because Crash , bug every time game update

Im love this game , but my self "patient" have a limit ....
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    Having the same issue, crashes after 15-25 minutes. Getting a little pissed now, its been crashing all the time now since Reinforcment update. Maybe give us the option to play the pre Reinforcment build until you can get this stable, not into this beta testing crap.
  • AcixrAcixr Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187241Members
    edited September 2013
    Same error message for me. Game randomly crash at precache. So I can do nothing for the moment, not even VSbot..
    I shouldn't have any memory problem with 8Gb running on Win7....
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the info everyone.
    Devs are aware of this bug and are working on it now.
    BE SURE TO USE ONLY DX9 FULLSCREEN.

Will keep you all updated here as soon as i know more.
    I was using the default renderer, which I think was DX9, and I was originally on Fullscreen. So I don't think that helps :(
  • telvtelv Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187339Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

excellent
    edited September 2013
    Good to hear that the issue is being worked on. However I concur with Winterous. I just tried DX9 fullscreen and it crashed.

Despite the fact that the techsupport.exe said it was creating dump files I dont see the minidump in the zip at all. I did see it in the debug report that I sent after i made the techsupport info but nothing actually in the zip file. Is there another place where these files may have been placed?
  • AcixrAcixr Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187241Members
    Ok so I reinstalled the game and everything seems to be working fine again.
    But I hope I will not have to reinstall for every updates...
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Hey everyone,

If you are having this problem please do me a favor and turn down your texture settings.
    This should lower your memory usage a bit and many people reporting a crash appear to be running out of memory to allocate to ns2.

No matter how much ram you have you should try this.

NS2 is a 32bit process and its memory size is limited by this fact. Even if you have 1645 gigs of ram ns2 can't use all of it. The puny 32 bit numbers just aren't big enough.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Lower your texture quality settings, and enable "Texture Streaming" in the graphics options until this issue is sorted.
    Report back with the success of trying this, please.
    edited September 2013
    Everything set to low. Texture streaming set to off. Lowered resolutions. The game is set to the minimum it can go and still crashes.
    Set texture streaming to ON.
    @IronHorse Will also result in a crash. At least it did in build 254. Yet to try it on 255.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »

DX9 fullscreen is crashing like 90% more for me than dx11 at this point. Any thoughts?

@2cough whoa. that tells me its indeed not due to the recent changes to the renderer.. which is weird that we didnt see this issue pop up over the weekend before the renderer changes.
    HMMM...
    Can you provide the # of bytes that fail to allocate with? and whether you run 64 or 32 bit?
    Also be sure to lower texture quality as mentioned above, and enable Texture Streaming.
    Closed.
    I am consolidating all "failed to allocate" errors to this thread.
    Please continue there.
This discussion has been closed.