HELP! FAILED TO INITIALIZE THE RENDER DEVICE

OrpheusOrpheus Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187933Members
So I purchase NS2 after checking that my laptop can actually run the game, after installing it and proceeding to run the game I was presented with the FATAL ERROR: FAILED TO INITIALIZE THE RENDER DEVICE. I have looked around the forums for a while and asked assistance elsewhere and nothing I have done seems to help. And I cant seem to locate the %appdata% folder on my hard drive. Any and all assistance is very much appreciated.
The tech support zip file is attached

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    See here how to get to appdata
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post#latest

But.. to be honest with you it may be because your video card is pretty sub par. It's Just meeting the minimum requirements..
    I highly recommend upgrading if possible
  • OrpheusOrpheus Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187933Members
    sweet, do I delete those files or do I edit them?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Try to delete it, it will auto generate once you run iirc.
    Odd that it states you are attempting to open DX9.. shouldn't be an issue.
    But like i said.. that card.. ;)

Also, looks like your video drivers are severely out of date.
    haha yeah im aware my graphics card is old however it will run the game :)
    So I just run the software under out of date? Because when i go into device manager and go to update it, im told im already running the latest :/
    I've run the software and after deleting those files I am still having issues, I remember reading about changing the Device DX9 in the option.xml any ideas?
    edited September 2013
    You can try changing it from
    <device>D3D9</device>
    to
    <device>D3D11</device> 

by opening it in notepad (right click > open width. or open notepad and go the longroute)
    But honestly just looking at it, it looks far different than mine:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    -<options> -<graphics> -<display> <display>0</display> <bloom>true</bloom> <x-resolution>1920</x-resolution> <anisotropic-filtering>true</anisotropic-filtering> <window-mode>fullscreen</window-mode> <atmospherics>false</atmospherics> <fov-adjustment>0.811765</fov-adjustment> <shadows>true</shadows> <y-resolution>1080</y-resolution> <display-buffering>0</display-buffering> <ambient-occlusion>off</ambient-occlusion> <anti-aliasing>true</anti-aliasing> <particles>low</particles> <quality>2</quality> </display> <reflections>true</reflections> <texture-streaming>false</texture-streaming> <multithreaded>true</multithreaded> <infestation>rich</infestation> <decallifetime>0.300000</decallifetime> <device>D3D9</device> </graphics> -<system> <runs>233</runs> <build>255</build> </system> <soundVolume>90</soundVolume> -<sound> <output-device>{DA369F25-9262-492B-9F9886CFF35586FF}</output-device> <input-device>{45B3B229-4A51-4E87-9E0CC19911D9D6BB}</input-device> </sound> <voiceVolume>90</voiceVolume> -<physics> <gpu-acceleration>false</gpu-acceleration> </physics> <musicVolume>0</musicVolume> </options>

Hmm.. can you verify that ns2.exe is using your GPU in the catalyst control center software you downloaded? I don't honestly recall where in the catlyst center, as i am an Nvidia owner.. but somewhere in there you can select a profile/ns2.exe and confirm that its indeed using your GPU.. maybe its called "High Performance" mode? (anyone who owns a mobile ATI card know which box it is?) Might be called Fixed Mode.
    Also open "power options" and ensure High Performance is selected.

Please upload your new techsupport zip so that i can verify the driver worked?
    I changed the text in notepad and I am no longer receiving the FAILED TO INITIALIZE THE RENDER DEVICE ERROR however it is crashing on launch..progress!
    I've attached the new techsupport.zip.
    It's now working, for future reference the changing of the scripting is what saved it, it looks like it crashes on launch but if you leave it for a few minutes it launches. Thank you very much.
    edited September 2013
    Weird that DX11 is what makes it launch for you.
    Your system_options.xml file now looks like how it should be. (before it looked WAY too short.. hence why i should what mine looked like)

If you can, please try changing it back to DX9 Fullscreen in the graphics options.
    Then try restarting.
    If it fails to launch again, then put it back to how it was... but we don't recommend DX11 just yet as its still in beta.
    Restarted it in DX9 after changing it in the options and everything is running smoothly. No wait time when launching the game anymore. I think it's the current download and then start options because when I ran DX11 again it took forever to load into the game but got there in the end :) Thank you so very much.
    No problem.. i wonder what destroyed that file for you though? Bad steam install? Corruption? *shrug*
  • pdroofelixpdroofelix Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188168Members
    i need a help

Date: 09/12/13
    Time: 13:15:30:
    Build 255
    Windows 7 32-bit (build 7600)
    Error: PhysX: Invalid Cuda context!
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    Error: Couldn't initialize the render device.

@pdroofelix need that techsupport.exe
  • sonix1977nlsonix1977nl Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58831Members, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maybe turning off GPU accelerated PhysX?
    No that option isn't working currently. "Ignore that button!" :)
  • Penguin_King23Penguin_King23 Join Date: 2013-09-18 Member: 188329Members
    i have this same problem, except i don't have notepad.
    The "cant initialize" message just comes up.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    @Penguin_King23, Notepad is a part of windows, but if you have removed it.

Worst case you can install: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    I got it fixed. Just had to get the render device stuff to open in notepad (which I found out is on my computer).