Next free weekend should be on the most stable and balanced build

MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
On the both two free weekends which NS2 have had, the game got each really big patches.
And i would rather say, both free weekends brought more disappointment than expected success.
We all know, according to success of for example Chivalry, that free weekend is always really important for a game, because that is the best way to introduce a game to bunch of gamers.
However, the most of those public gamers who just tried to play NS2 on the free weekends were disappointed because of lots of either serious performance and balance issues caused by those big patches.

And the last free weekend was really really crucial, because performance became suddenly even worse than previous builds so that new players who do not know how stable the game was before just left even having an interest on this game.

Of course both free weekends were not devastating failure at all, we know. But at least this last one could have brought far bigger success if performance was at least as stable as pre-reinforcement patch.

So i hope UWE organizes next free weekend even when the game is on its best at both performance amd balance. And WITHOUT new big patches and changes right before F2P.

NS2 deserves more players. Gameplay became awesome through recent patches.

Comments

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I think once a very stable build is out they should do a free week :)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with OP but:
    I'm seeing alot of new players out there on the servers.. Just saying..

Anyone have any sales-info for NS2 free weekend?
  • UndeadfredUndeadfred Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187809Members
    I agree Free weekends seem like a good idea, but doing it after a patch when players might be potentially sore, or performance issues maybe present seems a bit odd.
    Even if all those issues are largely perception. Thing is perception has a great influence on attitudes, and that might not be the best opportunity to introduce new players into the community.

It would appear that they wanted to ride off the wake of Reinforcement. Not a bad idea in theory, but I have to ask if NS2 is big enough of a game that anyone not playing it would be excited about the patch/expansion?

I think the best strategy would be introducing new players to a stable, build, where the community has adjusted to the changes, and are in a position to be more helpful new players.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    One of the devs said that "Things were pretty crazy leading up to the Reinforced update, with the European tournament, getting set for PAX, making trailers and putting together the donation program, and a multitude of other tasks" and considering much of that was required to be planned long in advance, they did the best they could to make the timeline and have a playable build...

I think overall they pulled it off pretty well.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BentRing wrote: »
    One of the devs said that "Things were pretty crazy leading up to the Reinforced update, with the European tournament, getting set for PAX, making trailers and putting together the donation program, and a multitude of other tasks" and considering much of that was required to be planned long in advance, they did the best they could to make the timeline and have a playable build...

What they did was they bit off more than they could chew. They chose a release date that didn't give them the time they would need, and they were then forced to scramble and have the community test a broken beta patch in order to make things ok by the time the free weekend hit. Yes, there was lots of stuff going on with the EO final and PAX and all that, but they knew those things were coming. They should have been able to look at those things and say, "With all that stuff going on, we probably won't have this build ready in time... Let's push our release date back by a week."

UWE is notorious for this... I believe NS2 was originally supposed to release in like 2009 or something? And even look at smaller things, like how they recently had to push back the patch for Reinforced content.

All in all they are dedicated and they do good work for a company of their size... I just think they should be a bit more realistic with their development schedules and refrain from choosing release dates that are unrealistic.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    They have to plan for a free weekend months ahead of time, and they wanted one during PAX, so they could release the game and have new content for PAX, therefor they had a ridiculous timeline. Just not updating to have a stable build is NOT an option. Set deadline, big event, lots to do, lots of big changes, the actual cause of performance not actually found until it was too late to fix it before patch. They were trying to hunt down the performance problems for a long time, until it was discovered that fullscreen is the issue. To make a game work on linux, add DX9 and OpenGL, add a map in a content patch as well as a Female Marine, and all that goes along with a Female Marine, fix bugs, make trailers, do Reinforcement content and many more, in a crazy short deadline, with a small team, is a crazy task.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    BentRing wrote: »

What they did was they bit off more than they could chew. They chose a release date that didn't give them the time they would need, and they were then forced to scramble and have the community test a broken beta patch in order to make things ok by the time the free weekend hit. Yes, there was lots of stuff going on with the EO final and PAX and all that, but they knew those things were coming. They should have been able to look at those things and say, "With all that stuff going on, we probably won't have this build ready in time... Let's push our release date back by a week."

UWE is notorious for this... I believe NS2 was originally supposed to release in like 2009 or something? And even look at smaller things, like how they recently had to push back the patch for Reinforced content.

All in all they are dedicated and they do good work for a company of their size... I just think they should be a bit more realistic with their development schedules and refrain from choosing release dates that are unrealistic.

Yeah, I know that it's never intentional when this kind of thing happens... but you'd think these guys would have learned by now xD

To any unknown worlds employee that may read this... people don't mind waiting as long as what they're waiting for is worth it :D Personally I'd rather wait an extra month and have a stable patch... the new toys are only fun if they aren't broken
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    SeeVee wrote: »

Just so the poor buggers can download the damn thing.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Having free weekends directly after patches is a really strange business strategy... I've never understood it. The stuff that was added in Reinforced was cool, but would a completely new player really notice the female marine, or webs, or dual railgun exos? Or will they notice horrible netcode, input lag, and awful performance?

IMO it makes far more sense to have free weekends on weekends where the game is actually stable enough to run for most people.

horrible netcode? disagree on that portion, only thing is the ticrate is low; but the hit registration is pretty damn good
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    Having free weekends directly after patches is a really strange business strategy... I've never understood it. The stuff that was added in Reinforced was cool, but would a completely new player really notice the female marine, or webs, or dual railgun exos? Or will they notice horrible netcode, input lag, and awful performance?

IMO it makes far more sense to have free weekends on weekends where the game is actually stable enough to run for most people.

horrible netcode? disagree on that portion, only thing is the ticrate is low; but the hit registration is pretty damn good

not during the free weekend it wasn't.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @amoral
    that wasnt the netcode, that was servers dying on there tickrate. There is a difference.
    @amoral
    that wasnt the netcode, that was servers dying on there tickrate. There is a difference.

i'm not entirely sure how you could tell. with the unresponsive look-aim and the microstutter and the macrostutter and the, and the, and the.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, I admit to be a layman on the subject.... Maybe it was netcode, maybe it was ticrate... All I know is it was bad during the free weekend.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like that servers own personal issue, maybe you should tell them to lower the playercount on their server or get a faster cpu which can handle the amount of players they want.

Play the game with a server that can handle the playercount on a stable network and the hitreg is perfecto
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    Since 252, rubber banding - on all servers - has at least doubled, in my experience.

I really don't care about balance anymore. It's like trying to straighten the rear view mirror in a car when the back right wheel has spun off.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    how can I tell?
    simple.. net_stats 1.
    servers with ok ticrate I had no problems on.
    servers with a tickrate of 5 folk complained about netcode.
  • robinhood752robinhood752 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187379Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Must agree with the thread, in addition, new players makes bad testers for mod release, most likely will rage-quit.
    ezekel wrote: »
    Sounds like that servers own personal issue, maybe you should tell them to lower the playercount on their server or get a faster cpu which can handle the amount of players they want.

Play the game with a server that can handle the playercount on a stable network and the hitreg is perfecto

wow, way to rewrite history son. we weren't suddenly switching to crappy servers who took on too many players. we were getting stuttering on official servers and servers that handled prepatch fine. so yeah, bad server operators that couldn't anticipate that the new patch would kill their fully functional servers... including uwe itself.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    @amoral

i'm not entirely sure how you could tell. with the unresponsive look-aim and the microstutter and the macrostutter and the, and the, and the.

It's quite easy to find out. Just type net_stats in the console. If the server is running below 30 ticks per second than it's going to create problems. Even then the game is at least reasonably playable until about 15-20 ticks at which point the rubber banding is going to start driving you crazy.

There was an issue with Hive (the new stats tracking system) that was causing some severe performance issues on servers late this week, but that was after 255 was released and not during the free weekend. There is currently a workaround in place on Hive itself to prevent servers from dying, and we should have a real fix for the issue when the next build comes out (likely sometime next week but possibly later).

There was a rubber banding issue related to the renderer and not the server performance in D3D9 during the weekend for some users, but that has been fixed in 255. Obviously the fact that this issue wasn't corrected before the free weekend sucked.

Server performance is something we're always hoping to improve upon but in many cases servers run under optimal levels because their operators are running too many player slots on inadequate hardware.
    Narfwak wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »
    @amoral

It's quite easy to find out. Just type net_stats in the console. If the server is running below 30 ticks per second than it's going to create problems. Even then the game is at least reasonably playable until about 15-20 ticks at which point the rubber banding is going to start driving you crazy.

There was an issue with Hive (the new stats tracking system) that was causing some severe performance issues on servers late this week, but that was after 255 was released and not during the free weekend. There is currently a workaround in place on Hive itself to prevent servers from dying, and we should have a real fix for the issue when the next build comes out (likely sometime next week but possibly later).

There was a rubber banding issue related to the renderer and not the server performance in D3D9 during the weekend for some users, but that has been fixed in 255. Obviously the fact that this issue wasn't corrected before the free weekend sucked.

Server performance is something we're always hoping to improve upon but in many cases servers run under optimal levels because their operators are running too many player slots on inadequate hardware.

oh, my complaints aren't current, I play fineish now. I was responding to the guy that said that the old problems weren't because of the patch, but because of improper management by the server hosts. the patch caused a lot of problems for people, and it was not because they had more people than they should have.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    SeeVee wrote: »

Just so the poor buggers can download the damn thing.

yes... then they are hooked like a crack whore and UWE is their pimp daddy!
    i saw many servers tank rates, even official onces, at reinforced patch.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Must agree with the thread, in addition, new players makes bad testers for mod release, most likely will rage-quit.

People really don't have much patience for these sort of issues these days -- afterall there are dozens of other free games they could try at any point, in addition to the dozens or hundreds of games on their Steam account they haven't even touched yet. Even installing a mod like NS1 by hand would probably be too much effort for most people these days. So making sure the first experience for new players goes as smoothly as possible is crucial.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Anyone have any sales-info for NS2 free weekend?

I don't, but here's some player stats:

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920q219640&from=1349038800000&to=1378587600000

I don't know how accurate that is. I guess it's supposed to be daily averages (not peaks). And I'm sure NS2 didn't actually drop to 0 at any point. :)