NS2 failed to allocate ###### bytes and will now terminate.

Comments

• robinhood752robinhood752 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187379Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Why.... NS2 have to crash every time ít got update :(
    Please, please, please stop it, this is a technical tread, instead post your report or some info, if you have...
  • TheMuadDibTheMuadDib Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187685Members
    The last dump seems to be slightly different, now the log file ends with a more specific error:
    Error: FMOD::EventSystem::update (Operation could not be performed because specified sound/DSP connection is not ready. )
    Error: FMOD::EventSystem::update (Operation could not be performed because specified sound/DSP connection is not ready. )
    Error: NS2 failed to allocate 204800 bytes and will now terminate.

I also submitted two logfile+minidumps using the automated bug report, but I was not able to view the minidump before submitting (or find it anywhere)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ok we have enough minidumps now. Thanks everyone!
    Devs are on it, last spoke with them this afternoon PST.
    Not making any promises, but we're gonna try to patch this week soon as possible provided they get a fix up and going.
    Will keep you updated here, again.. but don't expect an update until Monday. :)

Thanks for everyone's patience with this nasty crash!
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
  • roknroroknro Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188058Members
    I have the same problem, is there any progress ???
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is due to memory leaks in NS2, memory usage will raise until it hits the CAP for your os (3 or 4GB), then crashes cause it can't allocate memory
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @omega_k2 not necessarily .. its crashing at 20 and 40 mb often.. Looks more like fragmented memory according to the devs.

Has anyone seen crashing during map loading, and if so does it ever say memory allocation failed or is it something else?
  • AV_UltimaAV_Ultima Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64367Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse I have a friend who is having this same problem. The farthest he has gotten to actually playing the game is choosing marine team, then crashing immediately after seeing his rifle.

25772600 bytes last time he tried playing.
  • PattyDaPlayerPattyDaPlayer Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187346Members
    edited September 2013
    I have seen a crash only once during map load and I did get a memory allocation error but unfortunately I didn't record the number and i don't remember it right now.
    edited September 2013
    IIRC never during a map loading, server browser, options menu or lobby, always in game. Sometimes i get to play on a second map, but never get to load and play a third as its always crashed before that 10-30 mins.
    Not 100% on this, but it always seems to crash when the game has more going on, dont remember it crashing say when i am chillin some where on the map waiting to ambush ect.
  • lucapixellucapixel Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188071Members
    hi everyone, i'm having the same problem.
    it happends very often while i'm playing, about every 2 minutes, if the resolution is lower it happends every 5-6 min.
    find here a screen shot of the "fatal error" message:

waiting for a prompt solution very soon !

all the best
    123.png 25.7K
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    ^^
    Can we get a roll back to a working build untill you guys get your sh*t together with this one?
    *Not impressed*
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    what about Win7-64 bit have the same Error Failed to locate..... and terminated :))

is there any solution for 64bit crash ?
    edited September 2013
    If the statement in this thread is to be believed the "failed to allocate" crash is only a 32 bit problem, 64 bit users don't experience the same crash.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/32bit/
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wouldn't say it's so much a 32bit problem as a low memory problem. 4gb on 64bit would cause the same issues as 32bit 4gb.
    huge disappointment, this is annoying
  • robinhood752robinhood752 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187379Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got myself a new laptop today, no crashes whatsoever, it can be (and probably is) memory leak, but it's hardware related
  • TheMuadDibTheMuadDib Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187685Members
    The 32bit Vista fix worked for me, at least it wont crash so fast. But it's not really fixed, just takes longer to fill the larger amount of memory with holes
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Can you tell if that will be fixed before the weekend?
    Has the memory leak been resolved at all and if so when can we expect it to be patched?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I recommend this,
    SeeVee wrote: »
    I have seen games in the past (like the Unreal Engine Games) have a setting in the options to make all other players "one particular character model"... this was a setting introduced to cut down on the memory usage of lower end pc's and making the game less memory intensive. It also helped people with lower end GPU's as well because it didn't have to render so many different varying player character models.

Maybe UWE could add in an option to force default models, and when ticked only the ones that come with the game will be seen by that client.
    After i boot with 3gb line with WindowsXPSP3 , my screen when scroll down or up with mouse ( youtube , forums,etc) is flashing , and i have to remove 3gb line from boot.ini

After that , my computer runs fine , but will NS2 crash again without that"3gb" line ?
    Oh, after that is new error "Couldnt innitilize render device" :D

Lucky this method work on my Win7 Ultimate , but i can confirm WinXP user have to wait until offical patch , dont use 3gb parameter line boot.ini
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got the actual message in a message box (not just in the console) for the first time on Linux. I did a quick join but connected to an empty server so rejoined to another one. After several minutes the red "disconnected" icon appeared and everyone stood still. I could run around but nothing happened. I've switched from the game and when I returned back all the graphics were corrupted except the menu. I managed to disconnect and saw fine main menu with non-corrupted background. So I switched again and then this message box appeared.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Newest addition on 256:
    3af4e13345f63410eab6140b1c1308d0.png
    Nice bug fixes.
    Havent had this earlier but you even managed to make this crash more popular
    @kalakuja you should read the front page news post.

"Build 256 is not quite all we wanted to be. There are still a few issues outstanding, which we may discuss in more detail in a future post. For example, the server will still occasionally hitch and 32bit players will still experience memory issues. We are working full time on rectifying both issues."