B256: Cursor and actual position differ in menu in non-native resolutions

sonix1977nlsonix1977nl Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58831Members, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with the mouse cursor in the main menu of build 256. There is a difference between the location on the screen where the cursor is shown and the actual location the menu thinks I am pointing to, making it hard to select any option in the menu.

Lets define the top left corner of the screen as coordinates (0, 0) and the bottom right corner as (100, 100). If the cursor is show at position (50, 25), the actual location the menu thinks it is would be something like (67, 31).

Some extra observations:
1) This problem does not occur when I use the native resolution of the monitor.
2) The difference between the cursor position and the actual position seems to increase linearly as you move away from the top left.
3) The lower the resolution, the bigger the difference. It seems as if the position of the cursor is multiplied by the difference between the actual resolution and the native resolution.

I added a photo to demonstrate, because a normal screenshot does not show the mouse cursor. The screenshot shows the graphics menu so you see all the related graphics settings.

Comments

• OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    edited September 2013
    I'm having the same problem. Affects every UI in the game including the commander and the buy/evolve menus. Commander is now unplayable, and buying things just became extremely difficult. FPS view is unaffected, probably because it doesn't matter where the mouse is positioned for that as long as it's getting warped. So we went from input lag to broken UIs with the patch. Great. I can't use the native res because my GPU is too slow.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Mine's doing the same, with the actual pointer feeling about an inch to the top-left. Not a big deal, except for commanders, but does make trying to evolve in a hurry a royal pain in the kharaa arse. :D Hopefully an easy fix.
  • sonix1977nlsonix1977nl Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58831Members, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter
    WORKAROUND: I got a great tip just now from someone in-game. If you press ALT+ENTER twice it will fix the mouse cursor problem for that session.
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    sonix1977nl's workaround works. Thanks for the tip. The Alt+Enter is really fast too (at least for me) so only takes a couple of seconds.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Its probably a result of this fix:
    Fixed bug where the game would not choose a valid resolution on start-up if the default resolution wasn’t supported by the device

The best solution is probably to Alt+Enter into windowed mode and reset your resolution every time you start-up the game.
  • RSprinterRSprinter Join Date: 2012-08-16 Member: 155685Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have the same Problem in Menu and in game as commander
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    This is known and is fixed for the next build. We're trying as hard as we can to get a hotfix out tonight to fix this and a few other serious issues.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ....you guys sure you don't need more still play test volunteers? seems like you're missing a lot of things lately.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @auron2 it was reported and set as high priority. But feel free to apply still, we could always use more.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Already have, the faster things get fixed the better!
  • sonix1977nlsonix1977nl Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58831Members, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Even though the workaround was easy, thanks a lot for fixing it in B257.