Natural Selection 2 - Explained in about 1 Minute

It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

Reddog at had the great idea for me to make a Super (effective) short video that helps explain what NS2 is in a quick and appealing format. This video is targeted to players who have no idea what NS2 is, and hopefully it might be of interest to them. It is also great for saving time by sharing this video to your friends who you may try to convince to play the game.

Hopefully it helps bring in more players to help grow the playerbase and community, happy sharing :D

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This, and others should be played automatically during map loading, especially for first time players (without this vid being able to be skipped the first time its played)
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the video, ISE! Glad we were able to show the first draft at my last cast and get some really good feedback to be able to re-work it (mad props to the 100+ people that actually stayed to help!!). I plan on using this video on my next front page casts, in between rounds, to help all the new people know the basic basics so they can at least follow the cast.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Great Tut intro. Should be really autoplayed if you start the game for the first time :)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was excellent. So glad this is being used for Red's front page casts.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Resources like this are exactly what new players need to see, especially if they can be viewed while the game is loading and the player *has* to wait anyway. That would be perfect.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The problem with the in-game help is that it talks over the top of the team chat / sound effects, and ends up being a confusing jumble if the new player is on an active server. Dedicated player training that's external to the main game is an excellent idea, and something like this would be a great start.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    A video like this, maybe a bit expanded, would be great as introduction to any event (like NS2WC) and as advertising.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Note: It's "RTs" not "RT's"
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was freakin' awesome!! 2 thumbs up.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This, and others should be played automatically during map loading, especially for first time players (without this vid being able to be skipped the first time its played)

No, thanks, I don't want the same video to play every time I load a map, forcing me to load even slower and requiring me to cancel it out every single time.

That should always be an option, not forced down your throat. Like the tutorial stuff.

Obviously it wouldn't play every time. It could be tied to the same option that toggles the in-game help.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    A video like this, maybe a bit expanded, would be great as introduction to any event (like NS2WC) and as advertising.

Good thing we as a community and Devs have until March 2014 to do it then! :)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Awesome, as always. :)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

No, thanks, I don't want the same video to play every time I load a map, forcing me to load even slower and requiring me to cancel it out every single time.

That should always be an option, not forced down your throat. Like the tutorial stuff.

@Omega_K2 can't read. he said for new players. So after your Rookie mark is removed it won't play anymore (which you can remove manually in the options). Critical thinking!
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow

@Omega_K2 can't read. he said for new players. So after your Rookie mark is removed it won't play anymore (which you can remove manually in the options). Critical thinking!

It seems you can't read.

The way his sentenced is worded, it means all players, but in particular for rookies. With addition of the video being unable to be skipped for the first time, it also means veterans (and in fact, everyone) have to watch it the first time.

And on a side note, if you reinstall NS or PC, you're marked as rookie again.
    es·pe·cial·ly 
    adv.
    To an extent or degree deserving of special emphasis; particularly

• frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Great video, really well done! This will help to introduce the game to new people ingame and during casts on twitch, especially when we got a twitch frontpage cast.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent video, short and sweet.
    From a commercial perspective it lacks info about where to get the game, but people who cant google will not learn the game anyway.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    /me runs of to buy some UWE stock
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013

This is why you turn hints and rookie mode off in the options..

Obviously i was primarily speaking about those who have hints on ... and when i said "especially" it was referencing those with rookie mode on. ;)

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2013

There are already several options to enable or disable tips. All you have to do is link this with those, bam, veteran players will never even seen the video.

PS ISE y u s rad cuz ur so so rad
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Why is this not on the shop page in steam yet?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    these videos are a fantastic way to promote the game imo, great job.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    i took the liberty to submit it to reddit, instant hit it seems :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1oi43f/natural_selection_2_explained_in_about_1_minute/

#4 on Reddit.com/r/Games Well done everybody!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like that idea of using loading times as video tutorial times. I would go further though. All of Super Effectives training videos would be shown in an order of importance, and only shown once. Once they have gotten through 4 hours of gameplay, enough for that rookie tag to go away, they can turn off the videos in the settings.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I kind of expected this to be another thread that just said, "Nanites"
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver