Bug: Evolving to NO STRING 0% [258]

WittfogelWittfogel Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177776Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Hi guys!

I just came across a bug, and don't know if you already know about it. I've never encountered ANY bug before, in approx. 100h of game time, so maybe this has something to do with the 258-release?

The case report is: I was playing on Docking, and had just respawned. I tried to evolve two abilities as skulk, but nothing happened. I then proceeded to move around the map, but it was as if I was "under" the map; couldn't really jump on things etc. Then suddenly I was back at base, and the following was displayed: Evolving to NO STRING 0%.

Hope it helps,
Wittfogel

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks!
    Ya we've heard of this.. but currently have no information on how to reproduce it.
    If you figure out how feel free to update this thread.
    Thanks again
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I suppose that red text about a triple kill isn't from the vanilla game. Never saw it there. Maybe there's a broken mod on that server?
  • aruametelloaruametello Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168371Members
    trying to help with the reproduction of the error, that happened to me sometimes when i tried to evolve to anything as aliens (like skulk to gorge) from a tight spot (like inside a vent), and it failed because of the lack of space, moved a little and tried again right after, then the "evolving to NO STRING 0%" folowed by a crash.

i feel it has something to do with lag (caused server side lack from the lack of cpu power, not network packet loss), because when it happened to me, the server was rubberbanding a lot.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've had it happen on a vanilla server. Tickrate was tanking at the time. Was also on docking interestingly enough.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Seems to be back. Was there a long time ago (pre-258); I reported it few months ago. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130516/bug-report-stuck-in-egg-evolving-to-no-string-0#latest

Didn't play 258 enough to test yet.
  • MaddokMaddok Seattle, WA Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8049Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This hit me during 255-256 going gorge near a hive and clogs. Server state I cannot recall, but f4ing was the only available option.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    net_Stats in the console the next time you see this to rule out server tickrate.
  • aruametelloaruametello Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168371Members
    edited November 2013
    i was involved in one of those errors in a way it could be reproducible.

Actors:
    Player A = the one who will try to evolve
    Player B = the one who will get closer to the egg

Steps:
    1) player A tries to evolve
    2) player B will get close to the egg quickly at the exact moment that the egg will hatch (could be the exact tick for example), in my example, i was a gorge, and i "jumped over the egg" while player A was evolving to an onos. (yes, he did lost his onos)
    *btw i was not trolling, i jumped on his egg to show i was a gorge available to help him as onos

Effect:
    The egg will do briefly a "hatch" animation (i could see the particles) but will keep player A as an egg, i am not 100% sure, but it looked like the egg "respawned" in a slight different position. (like the egg had teleported a few steps away)

extra details:
    * the server tickrate was fine (not a single rubberband situation in this round or others i played in the same morning)

* he was already a onos before becaming the egg. (was adding the upgrades)

* Latency could be relevant to the situation, my average ping is 180+ms and the other player had a similar latency.

* Everything happened at this exact spot (darklurch is the egg affected, stuck in "evolving to NO STRING 0%")
    112djfa.jpg
    i am not sure if the map geometry was relevant to the situation.

bellow some thinkering of my theory (not exactly relevant to the devs because they actually have the source code, but i like to think loud sometimes) when you evolve, aparrently the game run a "do we have enough free volume nearby do to that?" and if it returns false, you dont became the egg.

but then i got thinking... "what if" the game run the checks to see if you have enough free space to evolve, and it returns true, but during the evolve phase the available free space nearby changes (to something smaller), and the game cant spawn the selected lifeform after? i am not sure of how the game code handles this situation, but the situation is possible overall. (the place was pretty crowded when the egg hatched, maybe we had 3 other skulks on nearby spots that the game code tried to place the onos from the hatched egg.)

and yeah, an onos is pretty big, i can see a lot of possible situations where it wont fit, i had this problem before when i changed to a gorge inside a vent, and i had another gorge VERY close to my egg, could be a pattern.

edit: lots of typos, my "engrish" is not so good.

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    That is an excellent write up. Thanks.

I will see if we can get that reproduced.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Ya we've heard of this.. but currently have no information on how to reproduce it.
    If you figure out how feel free to update this thread.
    Thanks again

krl4sxd24pds.png
    w40eb9qinsig.png

note:/stuck works
    note2:Can't access evolve menu due to being an egg
    note3:Can't evolve to last upgrade with bind

Playing from a thinkpad t510i laptop, average fps is always hovering around 20-25, at the time of the drop 10.server MCG, playing from Australia, pinging average 195, at the time ping was 213ms

I red plugged just literally a split second after i leaped, i jumped, then leaped i was also holding crouch, I was in the build menu while leaping and went evolve to gorge before landing on the ground.

(Sylvi my GF who plays beside me had perfectly stable ping, no red plugs and a few interp errors also was fine with everything)

Server was perfectly fine despite getting a shitload of interp errors, had done perfmon on the server a few times, server has new hardware apparently. The interp setting is bad for people who are foreign (0.07) (often 50% + people)

Gonna try reproduce by faking some lag with my firewall and or just try unplugging with ethernet.

~Archie
    2.png 472.6K
    1.png 564.5K
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    The interp setting is bad for people who are foreign (0.07) (often 50% + people)

Server settings like that give a bad impression of the game to anyone not in the servers geographical vicinity. Too bad they don't accept advice.