Game forgets to engage v-sync for dx9,11

ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
Situation: I go into the graphics options and tell it to have v-sync on. V-sync starts up and locks fps to 60. I quit the game and start it up again. fps will be 100-140 even though the options show v-sync should be on. Hitting apply won't engage v-sync. To get it to start again, I have to tell it to turn off v-sync and then turn it back on again. This is true for both dx 9 and 11.

OpenGL remembers and obeys the v-sync setting, but has performance and graphical problems.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Hmm.. will investigate, thanks.
    In the meantime you can generally enforce vsync through your video card control panel
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Or not use it at all for better user performance :P
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    edited November 2013
    I'm one of those people who really dislike screen tearing. Also, it's fan gets loud when running at full throttle.
    Oh. In case it matters.
    AMD 7870
    edited November 2013
    Ok I did some tests to see if I could figure out what was going on.
    I made sure the verification came out ok, it did.
    Double or Triple buffer did not matter, the problem would happen when I used either of them.
    Switching from double to triple or vice versa caused the v-sync to engage.

The manually setting AMD to always v-sync for NS2 for some reason locks it in at 100fps... for my 60Hz monitor. O.o Helps some.
  • XanarkanXanarkan France Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188893Members
    edited November 2013
    I have exactly the same problem. Can you force the driver to turn on the VSynch in Catalyst options ? With NVIDIA Driver I can configure that just for NS2.exe but this isn't the same that if the game could keep this setting always on by itself.

On Ubuntu, I use the OpenGL mode and I don't have this problem, but ... 33 fps instead of 85 on Windows DX11.

Edit: I didn't see that youre driver locks at 100 fps ... :-w
    Yeah. The problem goes away if I use openGL. Downside, even with allot of the options off, it can barely hold 60fps and dips down to 45 when things get really hectic.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea this is easy to reproduce, you are correct.
    I reported it.
    Bug still present in build 260.
    261 still has this bug.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still crops up occasionally. Can't foretell if it decides to follow vsync settings or not.
    My usual workaround is to switch to double buffered -> apply -> triple buffered -> apply.

Would be nice to see it fixed, though.

Win7 64bit, HD6870, using DX9 renderer.
    I've been using vsync triple buffering lately successfully on both dx11 and dx9 .. wonder whats causing this for some of you
    Be sure you are using your default video card profile for ns2.exe
    Yes. This bug happens for me with the default card profile. I've also tried turning on and off various other settings with no response. I am now going to try updating my graphics drivers to the beta version from AMD.
    No difference using updated driver.
    Deleted the options file to generate a new one, no difference.
    Made sure no mods where installed, no difference.

I just ran the techsupport.exe in the folder and email techsupport with the generated zip.

try typing maxfps 60 (or your monitor's refresh rate) into the console (~ key)
    See if that does it for you?

I noticed today that while my fps was being limited, triple buffering was not working (huge input delay) and i was still "waiting on gpu" until i typed in that command.
    That command caused the fps to go from 120 to 60. But, game still forgets between restarts. :-(

So now I can type that instead of turning v-sync off and on.
    Do you think I could add that command to a lua file to temporarily "fix" the problem?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, you can't do it instead of, maxfps is a very buggy command. Also it resets between each map change. Just reengage vsync every time you start the game. Annoying sure, but in the scheme of things, it's not that bad.
    I guess we'll just have to hope unknown can pin down the problem.
    Vsync isnt going to fix the issue though, he's right.

Even if it shows the framerate being limited, it isnt acting properly, and in fact comes with a huge amount of input delay.
    So might as well use the debugging command maxfps in the meantime..
    edited February 2014
    I just tried beta 263 today. Problem is still present.
    Big still present in 263 final.
    Bug still present. OpenGl as a workaround has been removed. :-(
    Just tried out the new patch! :-D Nice.

Bad news. V-sync problem is still there. Have to re-enable it every time I launch the game.
    Yea I put it on our wishlist for next patch - we'll see though.
    I'll update this here if i can