Gorge Webs

13»

Comments

• LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    Maybe (just one idea) it could be something like this: 1. spit, 2. bile bomb, 3. babblers (left click spawns them, right click shoots baitball) 4. webs
    And then you'd use separate keys to make hydras, clogs, and tunnels.

Ye, I like this idea as this is how I used to play NS1 with the Gorge, e.g. RT on NUMPAD 0, Offense Chamber on 1, Defense Chamber on 2, Hive on 5 etc. etc. Quick and effective and you don't have to go through a clumsy menu.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ye biomass 6 would be p cool
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    so I actually saw a person use webs today! needless to say, I was happy.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Thought this information might be relevant here. In CrushaK's recent poll of the NS2 community players were asked their opinion on every item in the game, whether they thought each item was balanced, in need of a buff, or in need of a nerf.

Gorge Webs are the only item where "Balanced" is not the most popular response. 81 have voted in favor of a buff, vs. 62 who think they are balanced and 3 who want a nerf.

Later in the survey, Crusha asks whether players think webs come out too late to be useful. The responses were as follows: 2 no, 6 rather no, 15 undecided, 45 rather yes, 89 yes.
    Some people can't see past their own nose.

Webs are not a fun mechanic to have as a mainstay as they screw with movement and only serve to slow the game down. They have a specific utility, which should be kept to the 'trolololol-we-win-already-drop-3rd hive' stage along with all the other trololol alien abilities.

Going by the very same survey, we should buff babblers. Coz we already know how well that worked out don't we. *eye roll*
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    so I actually saw a person use webs today! needless to say, I was happy.

lol, i honestly forget they're in the game sometimes. you rarely see them.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    I find webs to be a very fun mechanic. If my wish comes true, gorges get free webs around the same time as the marines gets their jetpacks. Webs are useful, when placed in narrow corridors and provide protection and possible chance for lowly skulks to take down careless jp marines. I find the res cost on webs to be silly, since those are so easy to break. I like to make web mazes in combat mode (free webs!) and it makes me smile when I see marines getting caught on those and skulks swarm them :P
    Oh, and we should buff babblers! Not damage, but movement and attack mechanism ^^
    i think making webs free of res cost is asking for too much. lowering the biomass is great because gorges might not have the disposable res income to be able to spam webs (unlike right now at biomass 8 or 9). do I want to save my res for something else, or place a web?
    I find webs so easy to destroy by nades, flamer or GL, that with res cost it's too expensive to spam them in the middle of the game (if they ever will be available then). Webs are made for spamming. Their usefulness is situational at best and relies on team mates to be any kind of deterrent. At the moment, I would more gladly spam hydras than webs because that would be more useful. Most gorges pass webs even during end game, probably because they feel that it's not worth the res to make them. That's why it's almost forgotten that webs exists. If webs were free, maybe there should be less of them so that maps won't turn into spider mazes. I would gladly take 5 free webs over 10 webs costing 1 res each.
    I disagree. If webs were to be introduced in mid-game, you would just have to use them smarter. You wouldn't put them at crouch-head height in a doorway clearly visible, you would put them on the floor or after a clog line in hopes the marine doesn't see them. If he doesn't, he's basically immobilized and you get 3 free spits on him along with any potential hydras you have around.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I disagree. If webs were to be introduced in mid-game, you would just have to use them smarter. You wouldn't put them at crouch-head height in a doorway clearly visible, you would put them on the floor or after a clog line in hopes the marine doesn't see them. If he doesn't, he's basically immobilized and you get 3 free spits on him along with any potential hydras you have around.

Yeah, it would make the hydra's less crap too!
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Free, mid tech webs, tweaked gorge key bindings and buffed babblers! Yes, YEA! Gorge the world!
    wonder if gorge webs will be fixed next patch? would be p cool
    well, there's always next time.
    Im dissapointed. No tweaks to goorge key bindings or web mechanics in this patch. :(
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Toasty888 wrote: »
    How about limit the number of webs based on biomass level? So maybe starting at biomass 3 the gorge gets webs but only one. Then with each additional biomass they get another web.

Great suggestion!
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I noticed 1 (not in the changelog?) change for the gorge-webs: the placeholder was a root-like thingy, but now you see a small bubble where the web will attach.
    It improves the speed at which you can place webs, imo.
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    The only times i've seen webs is on the combat servers... They definitely should be a lower tier.
    Toasty888 has great idea. I rly like it. Make a webs researchable from biomass 4 and give gorge from there 1 charge (like clogs). Then with each additional biomass they get another web up to 5 in biomass 9.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Ok I must be missing something... Why on earth would anyone want webs reduced from 10 to 5... or to start with only 1???

It takes 2 "anchors" to place 1 web, so 5 would only let you place 2 webs, and starting with 1 would be worthless??

On topic: I think webs should either come early game (biomass 1-2) and cost 1 res each, or mid-game (biomass 4-5) and be free to place.
    MoFo wrote: »
    Ok I must be missing something... Why on earth would anyone want webs reduced from 10 to 5... or to start with only 1???

It takes 2 "anchors" to place 1 web, so 5 would only let you place 2 webs, and starting with 1 would be worthless??

you see, i bet it's the fact that you only see webs once every twentieth game that there's misinformation such as this.
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bump, needs to be earlier
    Bump, because webs are cool.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, earlier. But careful! They are damn powerful. Give them to soon and alien win rates will explode.
    I agree with unlocking Webs at biomass 3 (maybe 4?), but only giving 1 to start. Every biomass from there on will increase how many webs the gorge can place by 1. originally posted by toasty.

Won't be enough to spam, will still cost res, but still potentially useful.
    I prefer clog-style web. I mean free charges, not spamable, starts from biomass 4 with 1 charge up to 5 in biomass 9to12. Webs are too easy to destroy to make them cost res. Only creative placed webs might affect marine. To balance that they might root rine player a little shorter. Only in that way we might see them more often in mid-late game.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Biomass 6 all problems solved
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Biomass 5-6, 5 webs, no res.
    Should pop up at the same time as jps and close to onos. Since gorges often follow onos, use web to help the onos escape without getting chased down by jet packers

Right now webs pop up at "we've almost won" time for aliens, making it not useful at all. Webs aren't an offensive attack