Please help, optimization

carterc777carterc777 Victoria Join Date: 2013-11-14 Member: 189362Members
Ok so I just downloaded this game last night, I did something stupid tho. The game went through the one time optimization, but me being foolish thinking my computer could handle it, I maxed all the graphic settings out. When I went into the game the god was very low. Below 20, not enjoyable.
Is there any was I can run the optimization again? So I can get the optimal settings for my computer?
I've been searching all night and I cannot find anything. Or if anyone could even tell me what to set it to so it would work. I have a Asus G46vw gaming laptop, 8 gigs of ram, GeForce 660m graphics card, i5 3220 processor and all that. Someone please help

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lowest graphics settings are the optimal settings for your laptop.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turn down the graphics settings (to as low as possible), and then report on your performance. As far as I know, you should not need to optimize them again.

Also, if you do want to optimize them, switch to a different renderer (DX11 or Open GL) and then switch back to DX9. It should perhaps then give you the option to optimize again.
  • carterc777carterc777 Victoria Join Date: 2013-11-14 Member: 189362Members
    How do I switch to a different renderer?
    That's in settings right? Cuz I think I did that and it didn't let me optimize again. When i did the first optimization when I installed the game it didn't optimize it to the lowest graphics. It was around medium settings. But I can't remember exactly what they were.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You should not use the default graphic settings. To run this game properly on medium or high settings you need a PC with monster power. With your hardware all settings above the lowest will bring you a fps lagfest in lategame.
  • carterc777carterc777 Victoria Join Date: 2013-11-14 Member: 189362Members
    That doesn't really answer my question tho. Is there a way I can run the first time optimization again?
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    For first time optimization mostly just caches lots of textures and such, the settings were probably the flat out default for the game ( I could be wrong here )

If you are desperate to re-run it, running another build of ns2 or reinstalling ns2 should work.
    As for your specs, you'r bottlenecked by your GPU so I suggest lowest settings at all times. I have yet to see or hear of a laptop that can run NS2 efficiently. Maybe 780Ms in SLI?

Oh, and to switch to a different renderer it's at the top of graphics settings.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    afaik, the optimization will run after every patch
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    carterc777 wrote: »
    That doesn't really answer my question tho. Is there a way I can run the first time optimization again?

You can force the optimization to run again by deleting %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\cache (enter this into Win + r to get to the folder).

But the optimization won't speed up anything, it just prerenders the model,tecture files for the choosen render!!!

The only way to get the optimal settings for your system is by modifying the settings yourself. If you want our help to do so, we need your system specs.

Edit: Oh you posted your specs:

This are the graphic settings you should try:

Device : D3D9
    Vertical synch: disabled
    Texture Quality: High
    Partical Quality: Low (if you get enought fps you can maybe change this)
    Infestation: Low
    Anti-Aliasing: Off
    Bloom: Off
    Atmosperic: Off
    Anisotropic Filtering : Off (maybe turn it on if you get enought FPS)
    Ambiet Occlusing: Off
    Reflections: Off
    Shadows: On
    Texture Streaming: Off

In Generell Settings turn off PhysicX. This should give you a descent fps while the game still keeps looking ok.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    AFAIK the game optimizes some internal configuration against your HW configuration and game version, not against the soft configuration you tweak in game menus. That means there is no need to run it if you change VSYNC or game resolution. It's necessary to change it when you swap video cards, but the game should recognize that and run it automatically.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What others said.
    Optimization only pre caches to prevent the really long first time load times..
    You can skip it to see this for yourself.

It does not change your settings at all

• TheQTheQ Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31034Members, Constellation
    carterc777 wrote: »

This are the graphic settings you should try:

Texture Quality: High

Handy tips and I will try, just out of curiosity how come textures are left at high, would low not be better or is it counter productive?

Q
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @TheQ, High Quality Textures only need alot of vram( around 1-2 GB), his 660M can access to max 2GB Vram and therefor there is no need to turn texture quality down.
    Imho the game looses all it flair if you turn it to low texture quality.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2013
    You should not use the default graphic settings. To run this game properly on medium or high settings you need a PC with monster power. With your hardware all settings above the lowest will bring you a fps lagfest in lategame.

Dont listen to him. I run the game with medium-high settings on my 3-4 yr old laptop.

Occasionally dips below 50 fps but generally is 50-60.