What happened ?

RamaanRamaan Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185734Members
I re-installed the game just for testing 260 in hope to be positively suprised. I stopped at 249 and I'm shocked...is this movement the marines and I mean this "jumping-mechanic" on purpose ? What happened here since 249 ? I am so disappointed. Can someone plz tell me why these changes were made ? I haven't been playing since june but I seriously cannot believe what happened to ns 2

Comments

• SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Well b250 ns2 was rebalanced and things changed a lot and not that long after reinforced came out shaking things up even further. So yeah, since 249, this is vastly different.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Marines didn't suddenly gain the ability to jump after build 249 people just gained the ability to complain about it in the forums.

But yes, there was a speed boost (at the cost of a reduction in jump height) given to marines when the strafe jump and it was recently cut in half. The boost was fairly small and I am sure the impending storm of post will clarify this more but it was something along the lines of 1 m/s boost. It has since been cut in half (jump height adjusted accordingly) though I do recall seeing Sewlek's balance mod having "Marine strafe jump speed boost removed" (something like that) in the patch notes so I am not too sure if the "half" we got is the same as returning it to the previous value (pretty sure marines always had some air acceleration?) or not but I am sure someone will come by with the actual numbers for that too soon.

Basically the mechanics really have not changed (maybe a tiny bit) the real issue is more likely the amount of attention that strafe jumping had received meant way more people knew about it and as a result many more are doing it now.

I'll just get my popcorn now...
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Well, you stopped playing on the best build of the game, 249. 250 and up just made the game lame, minus some smaller changes and content that have been good.
  • RamaanRamaan Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185734Members
    Res wrote: »
    Well, you stopped playing on the best build of the game, 249. 250 and up just made the game lame, minus some smaller changes and content that have been good.

I was devastated when I saw 250 then I uninstalled...seems like it was a good choice after all
    Why do you developers change the game in "this" way ?

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2013
    250 nuked the game. They made those changes because the devs thought the beta testers represented the whole community, and as it turned out, it didnt. So before they could change it back most of the people who opposed 250 (over half of ns2 population opposed 250) had left the game and so they decided to keep it as they thought that making the game simpler would attract new players (but they lost a lot more players then they earned)
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    coolitic wrote: »
    250 nuked the game. They made those changes because the devs thought the beta testers represented the whole community, and as it turned out, it didnt. So before they could change it back most of the people who opposed 250 (over half of ns2 population opposed 250) had left the game and so they decided to keep it as they thought that making the game simpler would attract new players (but they lost a lot more players then they earned)

are you saying 250 made the game simpler? it certainly did not, but did the opposite. They lost players from it and they didn't really attract new players either.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    250+ did make the game better. I never understood the entire waves of complaint about it all.

Both sides are more diverse in their use of tech & structures. All hive types are now somewhat viable in play, although shade still the least of all 3.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    250 brought me back to the game, mostly due to getting rid of brick skulks. I stuck around until the new alien vision, but have played less than 1h since that came in.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People still believe that marines didn't have evasive jumping pre-250?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2013
    250+ did make the game better. I never understood the entire waves of complaint about it all.

Some people hate change. It's okay when it comes in small increments. But when a completely game-changing patch hits there's always a subsection of people who, in their failure to adapt, become frustrated, and instead of giving it time to make a level-headed and intelligent comparison, make up their minds completely, no matter how bad the previous build was.

Either that or people legit like brick skulks.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The jumping mechanic was toned down quite a bit recently. The only real issue most people had with the game post 249 was the slush bucket effect that occurred from the massive amount of farm raised updates that did not agree with each other. A great example of this is the amount of mouse sensitivity issues raised. This almost immediately made the game unplayable for me until I tweaked my sensitivity settings. I whole heartily accept the game changes made post 249... but the marine jumping scenarios made meth look like a gateway drug.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Ramaan wrote: »
    I re-installed the game just for testing 260 in hope to be positively suprised. I stopped at 249 and I'm shocked...is this movement the marines and I mean this "jumping-mechanic" on purpose ?

No, it's accidental. They weren't really sure what they were typing into the codebase over the last few months, so we ended up with this. Matt is still wondering how it even runs.
    What happened here since 249 ?

The Obamacare website went live, and it was a failure.
    I am so disappointed.

You can't be more disappointed than Tony Trenkle.
    Can someone plz tell me why these changes were made ?

Because reasons.
    I haven't been playing since june but I seriously cannot believe what happened to ns 2

You don't really have to believe when you can just see it. It kind of removes any doubt or illusion.
    Why do you developers change the game in "this" way ?

Because reasons.
    I was devastated when I saw 250 then I uninstalled...seems like it was a good choice after all

You might have been devastated, but I was RPGd. In all fairness, being devastated probably hurts more since it's not as instant. Then again, we could've both been shrinkered. Think about how much that would've sucked! (

I hope that was an exhaustive and informative answer to all your questions. Have a good night and come again!