Dont upgrade your CPU

OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
edited October 2013 in New Player Forum
Please ... for the love of the gods, do not ever listen to the spam-jump-pink-skin-mod-[NAUGHTYWORDSAREBAD] muppets that play this game and upgrade your CPU .... it won't do shit.

If you must, just take a holistic approach and upgrade *everything* - I can promise, (I mean it: I will say it in front of any lost bastard: PROMISE) after a near $NZ600 on CPUs - this game is just warped beyond reason with respect to FPS - do a CPU and Gfx and HD and RAM overall upgrade, or just don't bother.

It's not skill, it's : MODS and OVERALL HARDWARE, spend $1000 or just find a new game.

Certainly it isn't: CPU Ghz. Going from 3.6 to 4.2 gave me : 2.5 extra frames in the menu mode. 0 in game. Just don't bother.

Comments

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What GPU do you have?
    Because 3.6 to 4.2 should give you a noticable jump in later game performance and minimum FPS as long as you are CPU bound. I can only imagine that your GPU cannot keep up.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Sorry but I have to disagree. I was getting horrible FPS with my old Athlon quad core 1.8ghz with my Radeon HD 6850 and 8gb ram. I now have the same video card , 8gb of ram (maybe the ram is a tiny bit faster) and a Athlon FX-8320 running at 4.1ghz and this game flies. Granted I increased my CPU by a lot more than you did but the point is this game does NOT need a very powerful GPU at all, however it needs absolute top end CPUs to run smoothly. A SSD will also help a lot with load times and glitches.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I too have to disagree. Last christmas I changed from a Phenom II X4 940@ 3.0 Ghz and 4GB Ram to an i5-2500K@ 4.3 Ghz and 8GB Ram. Got me a huge increase in and much more stable fps end game. Also: I spent 250€ for my upgrade (Mobo+Ram new, CPU used, sold all my old stuff).
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Please just stop comparing CPUs by GHz, that's total bullshit.
    Moreover a Cpu upgrade can improve your framerate by 1-30 fps but that depends on the complete rig. If your gpu is also low end only a cpu upgrade won't change a thing. Also doing a good cpu upgrade cost you 300-500 $ as you have to change cpu, motherboard and rams ....
  • SrsSarcasMSrsSarcasM Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176464Members, Reinforced - Silver
    It completely depends on what you are upgrading from and to.

Some people just put a $400 gpu into a 5 year old machine and expect good performance.

The game does heavily use the CPU, more than most games, so upgrading a CPU should not be ignored but I agree that upgrading just the CPU won't help, in most cases.

@Dictator93 if he saw no performance boost when upgrading his CPU, he clearly wasn't CPU bound! He didn't do any research himself and just took people's words for it, so he deserves what he gets. It's dead easy to see if your PC is CPU bottlenecked or not.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    I upgraded my pc, which was heavily CPU bottlenecked and have obtained godlike speeds. I went from a 2.4ghz Q6600 to a 4.5ghz OC'd i7 3820.

But going from a modern 3.6ghz upwards, seems like you have more money than sense. You'd most likely be video card bottlenecked. Now by far my only bottleneck is my old video card AMD 6770. But get really high and stable FPS under DX11 with a full team on team battle.
  • capercaper Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 150967Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    gpu upgrade was the only thing that gives me an extra 80 fps when I compare my performance to my friends. (same hardware but I have an AMD 7870 vs his 4890 gpu) both have i5's overclocked to 4.2ghz.

I guess my SSD may help as well tho.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Without any additional info (i.e. what's your GPU, which CPU did you go from and to, what did you see in the r_stats 'waiting for GPU' line during normal gameplay, etc) its hard to say why a new CPU didn't improve your performance. By and large, NS2 is CPU limited on most systems such that a more powerful CPU will improve performance. However, there are exceptions and its generally best to post the before/after specs of your hardware on these forums before you take the plunge so that we can make suggestions, if the planned upgrades are for NS2 performance improvements.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Overclocking my i7 930 to 4.2 GHz gave me an enormous framerate boost - we're talking 50-100%+ better FPS. It's night and day compared to where I was before.

Implementing luaJIT did lessen the CPU bottleneck considerably for almost everyone but it's still going to be the biggest hurdle for most setups, especially if you're already disabling many graphics options. Things like shadows and ambient occlusion are of course going to still tax the GPU quite heavily.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sounds like you're GPU bound, not CPU bound OnosFactory. Easy explanation as to why you got that particular result.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Overclocking my i7 930 to 4.2 GHz gave me an enormous framerate boost - we're talking 50-100%+ better FPS. It's night and day compared to where I was before.

Implementing luaJIT did lessen the CPU bottleneck considerably for almost everyone but it's still going to be the biggest hurdle for most setups, especially if you're already disabling many graphics options. Things like shadows and ambient occlusion are of course going to still tax the GPU quite heavily.

lol! 50%-100% gains? yeah right, keep dreaming. you would be lucky to get a 10-15% gain out of an overclock.
  • StrikercwlStrikercwl Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21438Members
    This is a very GPU dependent game, not so much CPU. I'm playing just fine on an old 2.8 ghz Athlon X2 240 with 8gb of ram......The game was unplayable for me with an aged and dying hd4350 1gb video card... switching to a hd7850 2gb took me from 1-5 fps to 40-50 fps with no bugs or crashes.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »

lol! 50%-100% gains? yeah right, keep dreaming. you would be lucky to get a 10-15% gain out of an overclock.

My CPU was the bottleneck, and I had previously underclocked it because of a heat problem. I probably should have mentioned that part. It's not an exaggeration though.

This was also before luaJIT. Since then my CPU is rarely the bottleneck. Users with older GPUs should start with disabling AO, shadows, bloom, atmospherics, and then go from there.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    If you aren't CPU bound then it will have little to no effect. If you are CPU bound like playing on a core 2 duo at 2 GHz then yes, it will make a big difference going to a i7 3.8 GHz
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    Any decent quad core and a GTX 560 can max out the game, doing it right now @ 60+ FPS constant @ 1920x1080/60hz vsync (SSAO off because no only does it perform bad, but it looks like garbage), client performance is hardly an issue, it's the server end that's taking a hit. If you can run battlefield 3 you can run this game.

My specs
    AMD Phenom II 820 @ 2.8ghz OC 3.3ghz
    6GB 1600mhz DDR3 Corsair XMS3
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 1gb non OC
    60gb Corsair Force Sata III SSD R525/W475 (Makes the difference when streaming textures, typical harddrives should run fine without texture streaming, but slows loading time.)

My PC in todays standard is mid range, running the game on a 32 bit operating system on a GTS 220, 3gb of DDR2 RAM on the latest 5400RPM harddrive with a mobile grade 2.2-2.6ghz CPU is not recommended for even todays lightest tasks, your argument is invalid.

I'm sure since the game is single threaded, dual threaded when loading, an Intel Pentium G2020 @ 3.1ghz based on Ivy Bridge dual core CPU for only $70 has more than enough core performance to even be up to par with i5 CPU's and can run single threaded games like DayZ and NS2 (cpu demanding games) maxed out. Toss in a GTX 650 for $120 or go cheaper and get a used 560ti for $100, 4gb of 1600mhz DDR3 for $30, slap a motherboard and harddrive in with a good 400w PSU, suddenly you're maxing out NS2 at a playable framerate (give or take SSAO/AA/Medium Texture Resolution) and also most modern games on a budget build. It's not UWE's fault people are attempting to play their gorgeous looking game on a 5 year old 2008 build.

The only concerns I see right now are the server performance, it's incredibly rough right now, but it's also another reason the game is optimized for 6v6/8v8, 12-16 slot servers do not take a lot to run stable, get into 20-32 slots, suddenly things get sketchy during late game, even if you overclock.

Quote I made last night in another topic, it does not take a super computer to run NS2, if done right you can do it on a $400-450 build easily.
  • pinepine Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168276Members
    Let me get this straight; You just (blindly?) upgraded your machine with only a new cpu and expect awesome results? And now you are mad.

It doesn't work that way. This game obviously is gpu intensive. Maybe you should have realized that before you went and bought parts you didn't need in the first place.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You need a strong cpu to play ns2, but you also need a strong gpu, no poit in having one and not the other, strong gpu but weak cpu only creates bottleneck as the cpu cant process everything fast enough to keep up woith the gpu, and vice versa.

When it comes to upgradeing you should always research and review everything.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Title is a bit misleading.

For a sec I thought it was gonna be one of those stupid rants saying that I dont have to pay extra money on pc to play a game (and I always say if u dont upgrade, then u cant play.

Just meet the recommended requirements and u should be fine.

As for what I recommend, any mid-range cpus OF THIS GENERATION (i5 sandy bridge and up) should play the game fine (not gonna account for older cpus) I say at least 4 GB of RAM with speed of at least 1600 Mhz, and a geforce 560 Ti or better. Generally, if you have these you wont need an overclock. (of course, for the better settings I suggest better components/overclocking)
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    @onosFactory...

now get yourself a good GPU and you shouldn't have to upgrade for some time and your game will play like freaking butta mang!
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    I went from an ancient dual 2.6Ghz Athlon64 from 2007 to an 8 core FX-8120 and my FPS jumped up around 5 times at least. I'd get around 15 FPS the beginning of a typical game, now I get 75-90. But apparently CPU doesn't do anything?

Your problem was you weren't CPU bottlenecked, but this game isn't GPU heavy either. I have an extremely crap GPU and I'm able to run the game acceptably if I drop everything to minimum and tone the resolution down a lot.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I went from an ancient dual 2.6Ghz Athlon64 from 2007 to an 8 core FX-8120 and my FPS jumped up around 5 times at least. I'd get around 15 FPS the beginning of a typical game, now I get 75-90. But apparently CPU doesn't do anything?

This game doesn't ultilize multicore well. 6 of your 8 cores are going to waste. A high performance per CPU will do better then many cores as for NS2.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

This game doesn't ultilize multicore well. 6 of your 8 cores are going to waste. A high performance per CPU will do better then many cores as for NS2.

I can promise you 6 of 8 cores are not wasted. I see heavy activity on 2 cores (70-90%), medium on another 2 (50-60%) and light (5-10% cpu) on 2-3 more. So yes a higher cpu speed is better than more cores but you are giving false information to say this game cannot use more than 2 cores.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Who necro'd this thread>
  • catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
    How much FPS are you guys trying to get? I can't seem to drop below 73 fps at all and my CPU is a few years old. i7 930. graphics card isn't really that much to dance about either, a regular gtx 660. Only thing I can say that is very strong about this system is RevoDrive X3, 24GB Ram and a 400 dollar mainboard. Maybe the mainboard does a lot in this game?
  • ARMYguyARMYguy Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187280Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its too bad this game doesn't use multi cores like battlefield 4. BF4 uses all 8 of my i7's threads almost maxed out.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    catolm wrote: »
    How much FPS are you guys trying to get? I can't seem to drop below 73 fps at all

Mine never drops below 70 (although im in a stupidly low resolution with all details on low) but it feels way worse than bf4 does at 50 FPS in ultra HD >.<

• turtalturtal Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183035Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    OP has no idea what he's talking about.

I used to hit 40fps max (end game) with a 1st gen QuadCore clocked to 3.4 (at 720p - low settings). I was really happy with it (since it ran almost any game with a 560Ti at 1080p - high settings except NS2). Then one day I've had enough and got a cheap z77 mobo and a i5 3570K (the unlocked one because for gaming, 4 cores are enough. if you want to stream too, get something with more processing power). I was able to get 55fps @ 1080p with shadows on only. Then I paired it with a proper cooler and clocked it to 4.2. I also clocked my GPU to the 560Ti TOP level (from 830/4000 to 900/4200). Now I see 70fps minimum at end game. No hiccups whatsoever.

I don't have a uber system but (you can see it here, under comp. tab) but in my experience, cpu upgrade changed my life. Load times are insane, the responsiveness is off the charts and most of all, my fps won't go down to 40s like it used to when I get into a combat in a dense section of the map.

I still can't get over the fact that I need to clock my cpu to an unbelivable level to get a decent fps but for NS2, I think it's worth it.
  • UzenUzen Join Date: 2013-12-11 Member: 190007Members
    upgrade from an athlon II x4 645 3.1ghz clocked at 3.8 to a fx 8350 stock clocks 4.0 6gb ddr2 to 8gb ddr3 and an ssd... not only did my fps double.... but thats double with max settings.....

ssd is amzing for precaching load also used to take ages :P
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    turtal wrote: »
    I still can't get over the fact that I need to clock my cpu to an unbelivable level to get a decent fps but for NS2, I think it's worth it.

Well, 4,2 ghz is hardly unbelievable... it is actually a piece of cake on such CPUs with unlocked multipliers..
    although I agree, this need of power is pretty frustrating, considering the era of multithreading we're in.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    wopwop wrote: »
    turtal wrote: »

Well, 4,2 ghz is hardly unbelievable... it is actually a piece of cake on such CPUs with unlocked multipliers..
    although I agree, this need of power is pretty frustrating, considering the era of multithreading we're in.
    This "era of multi-threading" doesn't really include games in general though, it's harder to maintain more prone to bugs and doesn't always perform better. What was it again... NS2 uses 2 or perhaps 2.5 cores or something like that?