Don't Understand logic behind using outdated 32bit program

zbuntz92zbuntz92 Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189763Members
edited December 2013 in Technical Support
Really just doesn't make any logical sense to have a program like Natural Selection 2 running in only 32Bit when just about everyone and their dog are in the future with 64 bit (2003) Sure its extra work to keep it all maintained but isn't that what people are getting paid for?! Seems like you guys just set yourself up only to fail. Hope someone can explain this one to me :/25 dollars spent should be worth at least that, game should be free of charge. Game needs a rebuild. Kinda sad too seeming as this game has loads of potential!!! Not trying to talk trash or anything, mad respect to how hard you guys are working, just very frustrating. :/

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This game started being developed many many many years ago, a lot of applications use 32 bit still.
  • zbuntz92zbuntz92 Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189763Members
    edited December 2013
    Wouldn't it make more sense though to update it instead of using something "Many, many, many years ago"(Outdated) which proves my point? Thanks for speedy response btw samus :) like I said if someone can explain the benefits of this I would appreciate it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Too late to update it to a 64bit app now, can stop building for 32bit OS's though >_>
    edited December 2013
    Wow really? That's unfortunate to hear ghost :/ maybe if they make a sequel this problem will be resolved. Then why even buy this game, its just gonna wither into dust the further systems upgrade, kinda like giving a push mower chrome wheels, sure it looks fancy but it barely works "technologically speaking". Is there anyway to get a refund? that's absurd! :( I understand that not everyone has powerful enough computers to handle the more complex features, but the people who can shouldn't be nerfed for it.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    (Nobody's jumping on that statement about the n64??? Okay, I will then... ahem)

Dude... the N64 was NOT 64-bit in the sense you're thinking of...
    edited December 2013
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    (Nobody's jumping on that statement about the n64??? Okay, I will then... ahem)

Dude... the N64 was NOT 64-bit in the sense you're thinking of...
    then plz elaborate because I disagree.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You know that almost no game is 64bit though right. In fact the only game I know that has a 64bit binary is BF4. Also my statement above might be read incorrectly when I said "build" for a 32bit OS. I mean program to account for shitty 32bit limitations.
    edited December 2013
    Oh well, nothing can really be done I guess, I just pray that you guys are on the brink of fixing this game breaking problem soon! (crossing fingers)
    I know I'm not the first person with this issue. [-O<
    The 64bit chipset for personal computers was only invented in 2003. It's also probably designed completely differently to the N64 chipset.
    edited December 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The 64bit chipset for personal computers was only invented in 2003. It's also probably designed completely differently to the N64 chipset.

Well of course its very different, still doesn't explain the problem of using a 32bit foundation that just crashes your game, literally have never had this problem with any other 32bit game program. Devs got it in 32bit for an important reason though I suppose. Like you said since lots of programs and games run 32bit still, shouldn't these same issues be occurring on all those programs as well. Issue dictates towards games initial stability. Hope someone behind the creation of NS2 could shed some light on the subject. :)

Originally it worked fine. But as more and more content has been added, working around the 32bit user limitation of available memory (like 2gb or something, since 4 max works then the OS and background processes use some) it's become worse and worse. They really need to just do away with the 32bit scrubs and start using more memory.
    edited December 2013
    Originally it worked fine. But as more and more content has been added, working around the 32bit user limitation of available memory (like 2gb or something, since 4 max works then the OS and background processes use some) it's become worse and worse. They really need to just do away with the 32bit scrubs and start using more memory.

I agree fully with Ghosthree3 statement, Very well put and exactly!!! <3 ^^^ ^:)^
    Glad to see someone else is thinking alike.
    One can only hope that they are doing exactly that, My entertainment is in your hands UWE!
    :x
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    A bit strange that your gaming experience hinges on the software being 64 bit, are you deranged or is it because you are Welsh?
    edited December 2013
    Lol deranged/Welsh are homogenous my friend. :) Besides that no just trying to figure out why something that should work doesn't :P My experience hinges on the game executing properly.
    edited December 2013
    zbuntz92 wrote: »
    Hope someone can explain this one to me :/25 dollars spent should be worth at least that, game should be free of charge.

This bit is really confusing. 99% of games are 32bit but it should be free because it's NOT 64bit? Also adding to earlier statement so we're clear, they CAN use more memory than already using without making it a 64bit app. Up to 4GB in fact which is far more than they're currently using. Any other performance advantages from 64bit are probably non existent or negligible.

Reading it again makes me even more confused, you seem to be complaining it's not 64bit for the sake of it not being 64bit, you haven't actually listed any problems caused by it NOT being 64bit...

EDIT: Ok, so I've checked and you've made another thread about crashes which happen due to available memory maxing out (most common for 32bit since they have less memory). But you seem to have jumped on this comment really hard,
    Confused wrote: »
    Basically, despite how big your ram is ns2 can only allocate a few gigs of system ram because its a 32 bit executable.
    Which is true, BUT, again, like I've said before, the game can still use a lot more memory than it is already using while remaining a 32bit application.
    edited December 2013
    zbuntz92 wrote: »
    Hope someone can explain this one to me :/25 dollars spent should be worth at least that, game should be free of charge.

This bit is really confusing. 99% of games are 32bit but it should be free because it's NOT 64bit? Also adding to earlier statement so we're clear, they CAN use more memory than already using without making it a 64bit app. Up to 4GB in fact which is far more than they're currently using. Any other performance advantages from 64bit are probably non existent or negligible.

Reading it again makes me even more confused, you seem to be complaining it's not 64bit for the sake of it not being 64bit, you haven't actually listed any problems caused by it NOT being 64bit...

It should be free because its not finished, or at least the state its in not worth 20-25, idk how the whole game making process works, not a game programmer so take what I previously said with a grain of salt. Having said that I don't really care if its 32-64bit since like u said lots of programs execute in 32bit and 64 isn't really necessary, my issue STATED AGAIN is that the game isn't finished, and playing/paying for something that is broken is my problem. And since they know this has been an OLD issue you'd think they would rather go a different direction and prioritize on fixing the crashes instead of adding new skins that chew up memory to the point of crashing and COST MONEY on top of that lol. MAKES ZERO SENSE. :/ You don't get a car from point A to point B by hauling a boulder in the cargo space and slashing the tires.

Updated above post and posted in your other thread.

Game isn't "finished" as much as we would like to be, but that has nothing to do with it being a 32bit application.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This is not general discussion, this is technical support - where users come for support with their technical issues.
    Feel free to start a thread in gen disc forums if you please.
    Closed.

p.s. for the record the majority of games you play are 32 bit. I can name on one hand the amount of FPS games that have a 64 bit executable.
This discussion has been closed.