Annoying sell everything commanders

Airwolf_sweAirwolf_swe Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-15 Member: 190114Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I just wanna share my thoughts about whats ruining the public gameplay:
Commander who sell everything in game, when they think marines are loosing.

I dont wanna take away the ability to sell stuff for marines, but its just annoying when a marine com selll everything in the end of the game when he think marines loosing. -"OH NOES WE CANT WIN LETS SELL EVERYTHING" and ruine the fun for the rest of the players. Just go to another server instead of ruining the game for the rest that wanna play to the end. Even worse when a admin does that, but I avoid thoose servers.
I suggest make it possible to vote surrender without timelimit on all servers, admins.

Sometimes you loose sometimes you win. Some people just cant accept that.

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    You might enjoy turtling to death but sitting through a slow loss as commander on either team is pure torture. And really even if you could make a comeback it's not going to be very successful with a commander who has already given up.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    It was a benevolent act, as mere plebs such as yourself lack the future time preference to understand whats going on.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's true that sometimes, games are completely lost and the players fail to realize it, or don't know how to concede. But there are also games where the commander gives up at the first little setback, and recycles the IPs. Basically, it's the exact opposite: The commander not realizing that the game is *not* lost yet.

It's not a new problem, and it has already been discussed... but it's still annoying. The main question is whether the commander should be allowed to make that (final) decision for the whole team, when every other player only gets a single vote for conceding. I'd say he shouldn't. But the other question is how to enforce that in practice, as he can always waste the team's resources in other ways.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    MrFangs wrote: »
    It's true that sometimes, games are completely lost and the players fail to realize it, or don't know how to concede. But there are also games where the commander gives up at the first little setback, and recycles the IPs. Basically, it's the exact opposite: The commander not realizing that the game is *not* lost yet.

It's not a new problem, and it has already been discussed... but it's still annoying. The main question is whether the commander should be allowed to make that (final) decision for the whole team, when every other player only gets a single vote for conceding. I'd say he shouldn't. But the other question is how to enforce that in practice, as he can always waste the team's resources in other ways.

Of course the commander gets to make that decision, he/shes the one in the chair. If you don't like the decision you can always vote eject.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    I'd rather the commander sell everything off than to be kill farmed for 15 minutes by Aliens. I can't stand NS2 when their are no objectives or goals to be obtained and the game devolves into team deathmatch. If I wanted that experience, I would go play combat.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Of course the commander gets to make that decision, he/shes the one in the chair. If you don't like the decision you can always vote eject.

...which does absolutely nothing when he has already sold the IPs.

That's just the problem: When a commander is bad, you can eject him, and try to fix what he has done. But when he *intentionally* kills the IPs, and then wastes tres with beacons etc., there is no way to fix that.
    edited December 2013
    Just to point out alternatives: When a commander has given up, he could instead
    • ask the team "anyone mind if I sell the IPs?" -> no-one objects -> go ahead
    • or leave the comm chair, say/type "I'm out, anyone else take over if you want"

It's just silently ending the game that makes it a d*ckish move IMO.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I find that commanders rarely, if ever, recycle buildings when there is even a remote chance of their team winning the game. People don't know when it's time to concede, particularly when there are a bunch of new players like there are at this point. It has nothing to do with "not accepting" that you've lost, it's just a matter of wanting to end a game that you know you can't win. If anything, they have accepted that they've lost, and it's the other players who haven't
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'll sell everything when i see there's 100% no hope...

so that i can drop 2 more IPs some Armory walls for a last stand in our base with a beacon!
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I still prefer to go out with a bang.

That shouldn't be an issue, since every game inevitably ends with a bang. That is, someone always bangs and someone else always gets banged.

Unless both teams are full of greens, then everyone bangs themselves in different ways - and usually it's a pretty slow bang, taking over 30 min.

Also, Zooey Deschanel without bangs:

o-ZOOEY-DESCHANEL-facebook.jpg

Back to topic: #bringback5minsurrendervote .

P.S. I think commanders who recycle if surrender vote isn't disabled on the server should be removed from this universe.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    @heatsurge
    I know i will get disagreed with, but:

I say hell no to 5 minute surrender vote.
    There are times when it is needed, sure, but it wouldn't be worth the downsides imo.
    You can always vote reset or just f4 if the other team truly cannot end it at your request in enough time. It accomplishes the same thing, but is harder to achieve.

There's just too many people out there who think they can call the end of a match / do not want to try anymore when there's still plenty chances to pull out a win... and they just want the round recycled again so that they can be at an advantage or without a challenge, so they desperately attempt to infect the server with concede votes.

I really cant even begin to count the amount of times i have seen some know-it-all get eat his own words on a pub... just because they are used to the steeper gradient of the slippery slope from their competitive games and do not realize how easy it is to change the outcome of a pub game. (its incredibly easy)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Some servers "shun" for lack of better words, recycling, and you will get warned if you do, do it again and you'll be kicked from the server.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I think the problem is not selling itself, it is selling without asking your team first. Force your will upon other players and you will get the bill.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I can only take so many last stand turtle marine games before I want to tear my hair out, I just want to get another game going rather than sitting in a base getting picked off for 30 minutes.

I tend to only recycle if 1) the game is so alien stacked before the 10 minute mark that we are can't even leave our base 2) Nobody is conceding to end the game but still, I usually ask the team first and if nobody responds, I will be recycling

I hate sitting in a comm chair with 1 RT waiting for the game to end.

@IronHorse I tend to agree about reversing the stakes but that's only when you're in a position of at least 3 RTs as marines or you have most marines with jetpacks where you can afford to risk a base rush. There have been times where I commanded a marine team and got locked into a 2base 3-4RT situation and was thinking about conceding but I pushed my teams to make an effective ARC push and we eventually went on to win those games, doesn't work everytime but if your team listens then it can be done.

There are times where it's appropriate to recycle and/or concede though.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    I'd rather the commander sell everything off than to be kill farmed for 15 minutes by Aliens. I can't stand NS2 when their are no objectives or goals to be obtained and the game devolves into team deathmatch. If I wanted that experience, I would go play combat.

Unfortunately, combat is terrible and near unplayable at the moment unless you love Xenocide and constant lag.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I wouldn't mind a "vote random reset" the "vote reset" is asking for a repeat of the past five minutes..
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    I'm sure this topic was spoke to death about 9 months ago. Ultimately we couldn't come to a general consensus on the issue.

Not too surprised it's reappeared given the recent influx of new players, many of whom either don't know how to concede, or are still enjoying the turtle phase. Give it a month or so and it'll go back to being an extremely rare occurrence as players get more experience about when to concede/how to break marine turtles.

Guess I should restate my thoughts on the matter regardless:

I've always held the opinion that commanders should not be making that call for the other 10-30 players in the match (the opposing team can't vote but the decision still affects them). I've always found it incredibly selfish, putting your enjoyment above that of everyone else's. To those who disagree, I ask, would you do the same thing if you were at a LAN event playing with just your mates? Would you still end the game for them if they wanted to continue? I like to think not. Too many people use the anonymity of the internet as an excuse to do what they want, without thinking about anyone else.

Personally I hate turtles and wish it would just end. Sometimes I just stop shooting/commanding... One less gun to deal with. I'll try to convince my team to concede, i'll go to spectator, I might even leave the server or the game entirely, but I will not make that decision for the rest of the players. My enjoyment is not more important than theirs combined.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how infuriating it can be to be sat in a turtle for the millionth time and you may only get a short amount of time to play, but whatever you're circumstances are, it doesn't justify making that call. Use whatever excuse you want, I'm always going to consider it a dickish move whether i'm glad to see the game end or not (I can't think of a single occasion i've not wanted it to end by the time the comm recycles).

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock

Unfortunately, even if UWE stopped it in some way, it'd most likely restrict legitimate strategies. Removing recycling in it's entirety would be terrible for the marines, stopping the recycling of ip's? Can't do a base relocate then, and comm's will just recycle the arms lab & armoury instead. You won't last long end-game without your upgrades.

I'll continue to have a moan at commanders who recycle and hope they come around to my way of thinking, but I'm not pushing for a change in the game mechanics as I don't believe it's needed for such a rare issue and any change to recycling is likely to have a more negative effect on matches than the benefit it'd bring in those rare situations.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    In my experience, the best way to recycle is a last stand:

1. Let all the marines know what you're going to do
    2. Set up some defenses like you're preparing for an endless turtle
    3. Make sure all the marines are alive and in base
    4. Recycle the IPs (keep everything else)
    5. Let the aliens know that the IPs have been recycled

Last stands can be quite fun :D
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Dear God, I love recycling SO much. I only wish aliens would have something like "buy a composter" to do the same.

It's not a problem at all if you do it right. Let the team know you want to recycle, counter their silly retorts of why-not-to, and then recycle.

If the team is reluctant to recycle, treat them with SG research and spending all the remaining res on free SG's. They'll be so thrilled with their new toys they won't even notice the IP's you had to sell to afford that crap in the first place! Once they notice they don't spawn, spread your arms wide with a confused look and fly atop mount Olympus and have a giggle with Zeus!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    shotgun last stands! bonus points if you get them to rush a hive.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited December 2013
    Most Marine commanders I see who recycle only do so after several people on their team try to concede.

I am actually glad that the Marine commander is able to recycle the ip's. There are far too many people who either don't realize when it's over, or won't concede because they don't mind being kill farmed. Like on Veil when Aliens have the entire map with healing stations and tunnels at Skylights and Topographical.

If anything I wish the Alien commander had some way to "recycle the ip's" - especially since unlike Marines, Aliens cannot get most of their upgrades on 1 tech point, and can't turtle at all. Think about what a Marine turtle on 1 CC would be like without armor and weapon upgrades...

I see far too many games where Aliens have lost, but Marines won't push in. Instead they set up camp and easily farm kills until they get ALL of their upgrades... I actually commanded a game earlier where the Marines managed to take out the RT and upgrades in our base, so no RT's, no map control, no res, and no upgrades, yet only 2 people (myself included) were trying to concede. (that game went on another 8+ minutes before their commander finally moved in arcs)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Most of the time it's not really intentional kill farming.. per say.. it's just that for the first time (more than likely) in an entire public match all of the marines are in the same place so there's a degree of difficulty for the aliens to end it because of the lack of teamwork in public games.

Some marines try to poke out, they get picked off but until the aliens finally group up with a large amount of high lifeforms there's always this struggle to end the game. There might be a Fade or two farming kills but for the most part it's just a lack of teamwork to end the game I'd say.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    If the commander has given up hope on the game then there's no point in continuing. Selling everything against the wishes of your team is rude though, you should at least order them to do a last ditch rush or something that will result in a quick end to the game one way or another. And if your team won't listen to you then you can recycle.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »
    Most of the time it's not really intentional kill farming.. per say.. it's just that for the first time (more than likely) in an entire public match all of the marines are in the same place so there's a degree of difficulty for the aliens to end it because of the lack of teamwork in public games.

Some marines try to poke out, they get picked off but until the aliens finally group up with a large amount of high lifeforms there's always this struggle to end the game. There might be a Fade or two farming kills but for the most part it's just a lackthat of teamwork to end the game I'd say.

Yeah that goes both ways, it's can be very easy for one side to lock down the weaker team into their start 5 mins into a game, but now there are 8+ players essentially defending one room it becomes very hard to actually finish the game until some upgrades are researched.

This issue is an administration issue, like all trolling. There are too many legitimate reasons to keep the recycle ability. Vote eject, report to an administrator, or find a new server, that's how you deal with trolls.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It really depends on the commander. No matter what system is in place, the end result is still down to the human factor. IT IS courteous for a commander to talk to the team about concede. The 10 minute limit currently for conceding is just long enough (may be 8 minutes might be better). But in the end, if you get a "bad" comm who doesn't want to listen, and is generally rude it will never be an enjoyable game any way (unless your team is absolutely stacked, so the auto win is guaranteed).

If you are trapped in your start base 10 minutes in with 1 res node, and the aliens have the rest of the map, its pretty much over. You might call out you have lost and ask the aliens to end it quick so another game can start (I have done this before when the team won't concede). Generally its bm to sell without getting agreement from your team (imho). Also, with the many greens in the game (still many new players), you might have to tell them how to concede (press "x", and click concede).
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    meh, its tough to decide with conceding.... part of you wants the rookies to pew pew and have fun... the other part is teaching them when a game is over which may help their skill (for normal non steamrolled). .... meh, its a part of the RTS and fps combo.... gives a player more power and more say over the game.. people aren't perfect. unless they are a regular on a server u never really know if they may troll command.. can't see any fix to this.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Usually me, but then, i have a fairly good grasp on reality, so therefore can take the "we lose" or "we win" call quite effectively. apologies if i spoiled your exclusive sir's fun, but i have the rest of the team to consider.