NS2 failed to allocate ###### bytes and will now terminate.

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Funny thing is that i'm on 64bit :/
    Just mad cause we cant play the nsl matches with people having issues with new patches : 8
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't understand why the devs say about 32-bit players and not about 32-bit build. Well, maybe because there's no 64-bit build at all. But I just can't believe there's someone who doesn't have crashes. Do their PCs work somehow differently? Or do they have some magical memory allocator which defragments memory on the fly without any performance penalty? Or possibly they just don't play that much to get a crash? The latter is plausible enough.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    "still in beta" ? OMG ironhorse. You just said it!
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited September 2013
    I start a listen server, join a team to test a map and 6secs later when not even all textures are loaded: "...43904056 bytes...". I thought with 257 it would take loner to crash, but it seems to get even faster o.O Then again loading the map in the editor and fly around is much smoother for me.

Edit: It happened again with the exact same number. Is that possible? I had the feeling that the number changes. Maybe it depends on the map. Strange.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @rkfg
    Anecdotally, I've played 30 hours this week and have never once experienced the failed to allocate crash (don't think I've crashed at all in a few weeks tbh)
    *shrug *

64 bit win 7
    6 gB ddr3 ram
    I7 920 @ 4ghz
    570 gtx

@melancor lawl
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse Then I guess Linux version is far more memory hungry than Windows one. Paradoxically, it's good news because it means things isn't that bad overall. Would be interesting to find other people who don't have crashes and compare their specs and OSes. The only problem is that if you don't have a particular issue you don't visit the forum or threads regarding this issue (except you're a moderator)...
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    Has this been fixed yet and when are we getting the patch, its been over a month since Reinforced and i am still suffering with this bug infested build, any progress ?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    majorpain wrote: »
    Has this been fixed yet and when are we getting the patch, its been over a month since Reinforced and i am still suffering with this bug infested build, any progress ?
    This should be fixed with latest patch. Still sometimes it happens but thats very rare now.
    It is not fixed and it happens very often to me. In fact I can't play ns2 or test my maps because of it. Even the checkerboard bug is back.
    edited September 2013
    It really is not fixed, i can run a little longer before the game crashes if i enable texture streaming in the options menu but it is about as far away from fixed as could be.
    They improved the rubber banding in the latest build for sure but the freezing/stutter and crashing bugs are still game breakers.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2013
    Sucks to be you fellows, I dont think they are in much hurry to release the next build. I doubt enough people get this crash for the devs to consider making a concerted effort and rushing out a fix. Especially since I doubt it would be a simple fix, so it might be a while.

In the meantime try this, I still get the crash but only after several games. I recomend alt-tabing as soon as the map loads, that appears to force some of the textures to stay in their pre-rendered states and consume less memory. Doing the alt tab trick I can play several rounds across several map cycles before it crashes even with 4gb and a 32-bit OS.

On a side note, is there any way to shut down steam once you are in game and on a server? Bloody thing eats up nearly 300mb of RAM.
    Where is my mother f*****g patch?????????????????????????????
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    majorpain wrote: »
    Where is my mother f*****g patch?????????????????????????????

soon.jpg
    On a side note, is there any way to shut down steam once you are in game and on a server? Bloody thing eats up nearly 300mb of RAM.
    I've managed to kill the Steam process with kill -9 and the game was still running while I was on a server. It freezed though when I did it being in menu.
    Seven weeks with crashes is inexcusable...

1513d1315945808-windows-8-developer-preview-release-waiting2.jpg
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    rkfg wrote: »
    I've managed to kill the Steam process with kill -9 and the game was still running while I was on a server. It freezed though when I did it being in menu.
    What is this kill -9 you speak of?

@1dominator1 you haven't mentioned the OS you're using, that was a Linux command. If you're on Windows, then just kill the Steam process from the task manager. Though you get to keep all the pieces if it breaks (© Wine on GLSL disabling). Games often keep the connection to Steam for VAC and DRM stuff, though in my case the game was working so it possibly don't always happen. It's much better to buy more RAM considering its price. Just to not worry about it and not to unload/reload things all the time.
    Seems to be happening in b262. Right after disconnecting and opening the main menu.
    Error: Failed to allocate 8388608 bytes and will now terminate.
    Segmentation fault
    pid 1279 != 21313, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
    Game removed: AppID 4920 "Natural Selection 2", ProcID 21292 
    Focused window is now 1, 0
    OnFocusWindowChanged to unknown window type: k_EWindowTypeSteamDesktop, 0
    Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 765: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!

It's really rare but it isn't fixed completely. A friend of mine crashes like after every match but he's on 32 bit Ubuntu. Could it be because of the new complex menu background?
  • graybackgrayback quebec Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190966Members
    Getting this crash too, 64 bit, windows 8, 16 GB RAM, Core i5. Somedays it will go crazy and crash every 5 minutes, and some other days it won't crash at all. I have 13 GB RAM unused when i play the game so i don't see how it's unable to allocate memory with such free space.

Other strange thing : I get this crash on my laptop too, it has 8 GB ram, windows 7 64 bit, Core i3.

Another even more strange thing : When it crashes like mad in the same day, it seems to occurs on both the laptop and my desktop. Unless this is a HUGE coincidence. Those days i just play some other stuff lol.
    By the way, i've been having this crash for as long as i can remember (started playing about one year ago). Will try to run the Tech thing to get the dump on the next crash.
    Crashed again. I cant run the Tech.exe thing, when the crash happens there's this black screen that appears above everything else, including the task manager, folders or whatever. tried Windows+D, tried the collapse to desktop button, tried to alt tab, nothing i can do stuck on the black screen with the error message. not even the command prompt. Help? b-(
    536 Mb is a huge piece of memory. Interesting enough that I had this crash only once in several weeks, maybe a month even. A friend of mine has crashes on 32 bit Ubuntu almost after every match or two. Linux build looks more stable for me now though with some caveats.
  • SchwaSchwa Virginia Join Date: 2013-11-18 Member: 189444Members
    Any more info on this? I'm only getting this Fatal Error on steamcmd.exe when running my server, not the game. Any ideas what the issue is?

Quad-Core AMD Processor 2376 2.29 GHZ
    8GB Ram
    64-Bit Windows 7
    Service Pack 1
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The issue that you have necro'd has been resolved. Issues with steamcmd.exe are unfortunately issues with steamcmd rather than NS2. You might be better getting answers to your question with a post in the server section of the forum, although it may be a steam issue.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The issue that you have necro'd has been resolved. Issues with steamcmd.exe are unfortunately issues with steamcmd rather than NS2. You might be better getting answers to your question with a post in the server section of the forum, although it may be a steam issue.

The issue is not "really" resolved but it doesn't happen anymore that often for clients ( due to the improved memory managment ) but for a server running 24/7 it's another story ...

@Schwa

Try to restart your server automatically daily, by this you should avoid those crashs ;)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry, I mistook the post to mean when running the server, as in starting it up, not when it had been running for a time...
  • SchwaSchwa Virginia Join Date: 2013-11-18 Member: 189444Members
    I'll keep restarting it. I just wonder why certain servers don't crash that often like the most played ones: IBIS, Hyperion, Diamond, KKG, etc. Must be something to do with my virtual environment or corrupted Steamcmd.exe.

Thank you for your time and letting me know.
    It might be necroed, but it is still there and I crash because of it seldomly. But I think they will never fix it. Same goes with other errors. Only if 10% of the players have problems, they start acting.
    edited March 2014
    Schwa wrote: »
    I'll keep restarting it. I just wonder why certain servers don't crash that often like the most played ones: IBIS, Hyperion, Diamond, KKG, etc. Must be something to do with my virtual environment or corrupted Steamcmd.exe.

Thank you for your time and letting me know.

You don't see those ones crashing that's all. But i know that the admins from at least 3 of those 4 servers fought crashs in the past.

The magic is called daily restarts and restart scripts for crashs (e.g if server doesn't respond for 2 min )
    edited March 2014
    Ok, I experienced this for the first time just now while playing GorgeCraft. While I understand you are looking for generally mods off, if looking at my results even helps with getting an angle on what causes the error, it might help.

I was just streaming GorgeCraft, I had OBS streaming, with Winamp & Chrome in the background. I was deleting all my work and decided it would be quicker to do a reset vote, so I vote reset and it passed :D I was playing around for 20secs, then after the reset, the red plug appeared, I was checking stream etc to try and see if there were any issues, everything seemed ok, so I ran profiler in game, as I was streaming the video will be online so you can see some of the ingame diagnostics i tried. When trying to exit the game however, it crashed out.

The game screen was still showing in obs, but on my screen I had the failed to allocate error. The mouse cursor was still orange and still locked within the game window, and alt-tabbing out of the screen wasn't working properly. Eventually I got into task manager to kill the process, which was at 1.2GB of memory at the time, which is a possible memory leak in GorgeCraft, but it caused the allocation error.

I am on 64bit Win8 with 8GB ram, so the address space on my machine isn't an issue, although i am wondering if it might be an issue because the 32-bit application isn't able to address the space, and thinks there isn't space where there is?

If you want to see me check profiler in game, it is towards the end of the video, but it was pretty empty.

http://www.twitch.tv/soulrider/b/509037550 - Apologies for the music, my collection is on random :P

I've attached the tech_support file too.