NS2 registration is best registration

schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Off topic sorry, but I wonder how you disable the shadows like in your biodome pub video? I have it Off in the menu but it somehow still renders shadows.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Is it just me, or was there no damage numbers on the 2nd shell? Did the 2nd shotgun hit register? I saw 48 damage first shell, no damage 2nd shell and 12 third shell. Other marine was pistoling as well, but don't know how much damage they did.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    no the second shell didn't register. I have this too from time to time, can be quite annoying
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    In before Ferric Pony...

You can't show from that video the server tick rate or net performance. Obviously the client saw the hit (blood on second shot) but depending on server conditions and/or network conditions, it's not necessarily the case that the problem is with 'NS2 hit reg'

Pedantry aside, it is very frustrating when this happens, whatever the cause. Especially when it's so obviously a hit.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    inb4 IronHorse no netstats no proof.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dude, the server must totally have mods. ns2 rego is 100% accurate without mods doncha know?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    If there's clearly visible blood being caused by the shotgun shell, with no damage being dealt, then surely something fucky's going on.

If it didn't hit, then why the blood?
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
    @d0ped0g‌ Blood, hurt alien sound effects and crosshair hit markers are all client side and don't mean anything. Server didn't register the hit for ~some reason~.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Oh. Nevermind then. Should have realized. Herp derp.

Isn't the lag compensation done such that a hit on client-side will eventually be registered server-side? (unless a hit against you that kills you is executed on the server before your own hit is executed) Or is it not that exact? (i.e. is a hit on your screen not necessarily always supposed to be an actual hit?).

Perhaps I should let the people that actually know what they're talking about speak.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2014
    from my experience high pop pub servers always have poor FPS and poor reg (or even high ping also causes issues), I don't know how many people or what server that was on because you don't give any info other than the single clip, but I would not be surprised. #justns2things
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hit registered perfectly (proof: blood), it's just skulk that entered darwin mode for the moment.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hyperiongaming server. 20 players
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was it hyperiongaming or hyperiongaming new. It makes a difference. The older server has performance issues when full.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Which proves our iron pony is correct with netstats or it didnt happen. :P
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Moved to technical support where bug reports belong.
    elodea wrote: »
    Dude, the server must totally have mods. ns2 rego is 100% accurate without mods doncha know?
    @elodea‌
    Given how you wrote this directly after a post referring to me, I assume your patronizing is directed towards me.
    I wish to clarify that I have never said its 100% accurate.. i've only ever said we need evidence to address it, not just touchy feely guesstimates and wild claims. Nice try tho.
    Also you know better.. statistically speaking, mods cause 80% of the problems that are reported in tech support.

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, SkyIsFallingElodea only posts his hyperbole laden messages for shock value and in desperate attempts to impress his small circle jerk of friends by always having something to nitpick.
    / Annoyed derailing response

For the record to the OP and all else concerned :
    Thanks to a prominent community member (who provided HD footage with net_stats enabled, as requested) we have isolated a singular cause of hit registration issue which may allow for EDGE CASE only scenarios - meaning rare occurrences like the one seen in your video. It cannot be practically or reasonably exploited, however.

It is known and reproduce-able , though i cannot give an answer on when it will be fixed. Both the lead engine programmer, Max, as well as Hugh and the entire NS2 PT team are aware of it.

I will update when, and if i can, here in these forums.
    Until then, to prevent further derailment on the issue, I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.