Now that the CDT is here...how about rebooting some old concepts with a new twist?

StackdaddyStackdaddy California, U.S.A Join Date: 2013-10-08 Member: 188640Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
Some thoughts I had regarding older tech with a new twist

Idea #1
First and foremost, let's get the stungun back onto the playing field as a pistol replacer. It would fill in the roll of utility/structure defense, since it would be a weapon with very limited ammunition and range (perfect when trying to peel that skulk off the RT he's munching on). A secondary effect for the stungun could actually make the structures electrified for a short time if fired at a structure (a la NS1 electrified RT's and TF's) forcing the attacking lifeform to move away from it or take continuous damage, thereby solidifying it's role as a defensive weapon to save existing structures.

It would allow you to commit more mines to the front lines/vents rather than having to spend the mines on rt's and the like. It would also open up different playing styles rather than the usual mines and shotguns that you tend to see. I personally prefer to use the rifle rather than a shotgun, but the downside to that is lacking a close-quarters option when using a rifle (unless you consider the rifle butt or axe that option).

The potential applications of the secondary effects of the electrify on friendly structures also opens up quite a few tactics for marine play. For example If you know the phasegate you are defending is about to be rushed by a group you have no chance to take out, you can chip them down as the enter the room and electrify the PG at the last moment before kicking the bucket, discouraging a grindgate due to the electrify effect. Another application would be electrifying armory walls, both during the enemies initial assault, or on armories dropped to trap onii. A potential balance to this could potentially be requiring either power and/or a fully built structure in order to electrify it or to have the secondary effect from the stungun be researched by the commander.

Pulse grenade attack slow/energy reduction could or could not be rolled into the stungun's effect.

Something else I just came up with, electrifying friendly arcs or exos. it could have the base effect plus the added bonus of maybe speeding up exo/arc movement speed, making exos slightly more viable/survivable.

Alien counters to this could be bile/healspray from gorges, whip bile, or maybe even rupture/drifter abilities from the kham could potentially short out the effect.

Idea #2
Let's bring back the old Rifle's Grenade Launcher add-on. But instead of using OP grenades that are used in the stand-alone grenade launcher, lets have it use the hand-grenades instead to add a more utility oriented focus. You could have an option in the armory after hand-grenades were researched to pay a certain amount of res, lets say 5, to add the grenade attachment to your rifle. Then any hand-grenades you purchase would then be usable via the right click when using a rifle. You would lose out on the rifle butt (oh noes) but gain the utility of having nerve-gas/pulse/cluster grenades just a right click away. It would cost 8 res up front to get grenades and the launcher, but every refill would cost you the same 3 res. you could also (potentially) allow the player to keep the hand-grenades if a new weapon is purchased, as well as dropping the old rifle/grenade attachment combo on the ground for another player to pick up, allowing one to recycle the res you spend.

The End
I'm just brainstorming idea's during my lunch-break trying to come up with ways to make marine early play a more enjoyable experience, rather than waiting for shotties to pop. Of course I don't expect these changes without tweaks/additions to Khaara in order to balance these out, I personally spend around 80% of my ns2 time playing as aliens on account of marine play being slightly stale (at least in my opinion). It would break the monotony of the early marine game for marines that would rather use a rifle, rather than spending pres on mines (which become much less effective as soon as lerks/bile comes into play) or a shotgun.

I dunno, just some thoughts, so berate me as much as you want about it.

EDIT: Since I'm home from work I can tidy up this post a bit and add some afterthoughts/revisions and not have to deal with typing this out on my phone.

Comments

• StackdaddyStackdaddy California, U.S.A Join Date: 2013-10-08 Member: 188640Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    This post got eaten up by my first.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Being able to electrify RTs completely takes the skill out from killing resbiters.
    Usually a tiny legspike or something will be sticking out from the RT and you can pistol the skulk down with that insane pistol accuracy before he has a chance to respond. If he's wiggling, either chip with your rifle or run in and gun him down.
  • StackdaddyStackdaddy California, U.S.A Join Date: 2013-10-08 Member: 188640Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The same thing could be accomplished with placing a mine behind the RT, grabbing a couple pulse grenades and chucking them slightly above the RT, or even grabbing a shotgun for the same purpose. The thing is the stungun could be so much more than a simple RT defense tool, dunno why it seems to be the focus of all the criticism.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    How about replace stab with metabolize?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    coolitic wrote: »

Actually, metabolize has been added in the CompMod, but I agree, see it in public should be very interesting if that's balanced enough, not to give an unfair advantage to all the fades. Maybe not instead of Stab though but as a new option, in the CompMod, I know you can use it as a simple attack or pressing Shift.
    edited June 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

Actually, metabolize has been added in the CompMod, but I agree, see it in public should be very interesting if that's balanced enough, not to give an unfair advantage to all the fades. Maybe not instead of Stab though but as a new option, in the CompMod, I know you can use it as a simple attack or pressing Shift.

A public server I frequent had metabolize modded in for a little while, I didn't notice the fades changing the balance of the game too much. But I agree, stab is extremely underutilized and should be reworked to make it either viable, or put in a new ability in it's place.

Another thing I'd like to see worked in was the old multi-parasite for skulks. I don't really recall how it worked exactly, either when you parasited a target anything within a certain radius from it would be parasited as well, or it would also jump to nearby friendlies if the parasited marine got too close to other marines (not entirely sure which one it was). To balance this, it could either have a reduced duration, have to be researched by the commander, or both. Just an example, make it a 2 biomass skulk upgrade, so it opens up the option of early skulk upgrades prior to 4 biomass (leap).

Another thing, lerks being able to glide without flapping from a roost position. Being able to silently detach and glide towards unsuspecting marines that pass your position without having to do that initial flap that gives you away would fit the ambushing style of lerk, and allow you to lurk more efficiently. c wut i did there? :B
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Stackdaddy wrote: »
    The same thing could be accomplished with placing a mine behind the RT, grabbing a couple pulse grenades and chucking them slightly above the RT, or even grabbing a shotgun for the same purpose. The thing is the stungun could be so much more than a simple RT defense tool, dunno why it seems to be the focus of all the criticism.
    BECAUSE it's so much more simple. It takes all the skill and fun out of it.

The hand-grenades for rifle attachment idea is the only remotely good one I've seen in this thread.
    Kudos for putting your ideas out there though, but you dont seem to really understand the effect any of these changes would have on the game (player frustration mainly). Maybe revise your ideas once you've played the game a little more and gained a better understanding, we always appreciate bright and imaginative ideas so long as they have at least been thought through past "this would be cool". There are about a thousand things that would be cool in game, but have a detrimental effect to gameplay.
    edited June 2014
    Played 1,100 hours both comp and pub games, dunno how it takes all the skill out of it considering the other options for the same purpose (a mine/grenades/shotgun). I'm just going to assume the point of your post was specifically about the electrify effect on structures as a side effect since you didn't really say what you were getting at in your post other than " you are noob and don't understand the game".

The fun element that you mentioned is all relative, and the skill aspect that you brought up actually made me chuckle a bit. Shotgun vs skulk, such skill, much fun. The only lifeforms it would really effect from a damage perspective would be skulks, since fades/lerks have more important things to do than bite structures down. It would also most likely get researched mid-late game, as there are more pressing things to spend T.RES on. It would also severely hinder your damage output vs higher lifeforms due to the lack of having a pistol, so you wouldn't want the whole team to have one.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    If you think something will work the Best thing to do is have a go at modding it in yourself... the Lua code seems fairly user friendly, even I can understand a lot of it. Try the modding forums to get started, you might be able to hack something together so you can test your ideas out.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Can someone elaborate on this https://trello.com/c/8TF9N3LC ?

Make it so the map makers can specify if death triggers only kill aliens, marines, or both indiscriminately.

Speaking of which, it'd be awesome if we could specify a "what" for the death trigger. Ie "Pool of Acid" killed this player, instead of just "Natural Causes".