267 crash

LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    you aint playing with hints on, are you?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Hahah, atleast you restored my trust in you. I was already going like 'wut, he is using hints?'

Hmm.. the crash dmp will not open in windows debugger and the ns2log shows a 'Error: Failed to allocate 2097152 bytes and will now terminate.'
    This makes me wonder how close you got to the maximum of 4GB of memory use for ns2.. hmm.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    idk it happened during a map change

ive been getting windows messages saying im using too much memory lately as well, probably related to that and nt 267

i have 8gb though
    Whoooooo.. thats what I wanted to hear. (although you dont im sure haha)

If windows is giving error messages in relevance of memory it is most likely virtual memory.

* When windows has these messages, do windows menu's and features work?
    * Does only ns2 crash?

If its no and no then you went past 8GB + the remaining virtual memory.. highly unlikely.
    If windows keeps working 'reasonably' fine and only ns2 crashes then its more likely you lack only virtual memory.. A much easier thing to solve.

One of the easiest ways to test is with 'Process explorer' from www.sysinternals.com. (Yes this will redirect you to microsoft technet).
    When you have Process explorer open (best run as admin) you can click the graph in the top of the menu, to open a detailed 'system information' graph option.
    I believe you may be pushing over your commit limit while you are NOT crossing over your physical limit. (well done, seen this only once)

Simply keep the graph open and start playing ns2. When it crashes check the graph. When in doubt, screenshot. :D

Can not reproduce, or dont want to etc etc?
    In that case INCREASE your windows page file! It is simply to small.
    You see windows will always page memory out to a pagefile to preserve working physical memory. (You will notice you use far more 'memory' then 8GB in many cases)
    While technicly having a small pagefile should result in more use of physical memory, it is possible to hit your commit limit first. If this is a bug or ment to be, I do not know. I had to few occurrences to provide a bug report for MS on this matter.
  • BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
    Talking to a few peeps on the servers, it seems these crashes are not as seldom as we'd like. (And it's not always the hints/awesomenium.) Asked about 40 people, found 4 who crash since 267.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I boot it up with no mods .. it's fine... NS2+... still fine... I add Shine, it lasts 2 games TOPS and disapears in the nether :( I WANT SHINE... I have a Map cycle of all 10 maps and enable them all in shine to NOT get cycled. After the Vote it crashes on map change. Not always but it holds 1-2 Votes. The server is from ngz.net and works perfectly fine w.o. shine. DAMN IT... HALP please ^^
    I know for sure i am getting memory leaks via Razer Synapse Pro audio surround thing.. sometimes I check my task manager and it's up to like 1.5gb of physical memory being used lol.

thanks for the tips i will try it out and I WAS using no page file at all
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Locklear‌
    Pretty sure there's no advantage to not using a page file anymore.
    Do you mean you are getting memory leaks FROM razer synapse or is it just reporting ns2?

To all:

When NS2 crashes and the process is still open (even if the window is black) run techsupport.exe located in your ns2 folder.
    This will create a smaller dump file in a techsupport.zip for the devs to look over.
    Upload it to Dropbox or somewhere and link it here, it will be a large file.
    Thanks
    /slaps @Locklear‌
    No pagefile AND you have a confirmed memory leak issue? By the gods.. hahaa.
    You do realise if you leak all memory full without a pagefile, that not only will programs crash, but windows will blunt out no longer even populate a window or shutdown as there is 0 memory to execute the command.

There indeed is almost no advantage to a lack of a pagefile. Sure you have 'fast memory' if you have lots of memory (32gb orso?) due to not paging ever, but you can not produce system memory dumps, can not have room for programs leaking memory and other nifty windows things not working due to a lack of a pagefile.

I would definately updare razor synapse and ya know.. get it to not leak. True memory leaks are ugly. (like you saw with 1.5GB)
    Yeah I had chrome instantly crashing upon opening it until I checked my processes and saw how much of a memory leak I was getting from the razer synapse program.. it's called maelstrom vad streaming service or something.

I sorta had an idea that this was the source of the problem but i wanted to give my logs anyways in case it was 267 related
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about the Server Crashes... we have feelings too
    @Locklear‌
    Well personally I would say yes and no. Memory leaks are of course the main reason you crash. But ns2 does use a good deal of memory. (around 1.7 last I checked, for me)
    Part of this will get paged.

If you do not have a page file, regardless of any leaks, you risk that there is no 'room' left.
    A picture as a example.. Note its a dutch windows, but I shall try to talk you through...
    http://imgur.com/I8c1FiJ

You can see in the normal mem counter that I am not using much memory. But if I look in the advanced counter I see... wut... 218MB of free memory... huh?
    The rest of the 'free' memory is reserved.
    Now if anything new needs memory it will first call upon actual free memory. If there is no actual free memory, it will ask for reserved memory.
    The orange part is memory waiting to be freed up due to paging to disk.

'standby + waiting for paging = used for cache 9327MB'
    'free memory + standbye = available memory 9490MB'

When standby memory is used depends on, for one, the processes which priority is assigned to the process having and requesting it.

As for @HEllrunner2k‌
    If you refer to crashes not on the client but on the server.... Ghoul is still waiting for server logs since noone bothered to give him. His test server refuses to crash.
    Want it resolved fast fast? Get him some server logs. ;)
    yeah i added a 5gb page file,

thanks for the help breh